Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Quads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quads
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our computers use bits, wich are composed of two digits: 0 and 1

Star Trek computers use quads. With a little logic, a quad could be composed of four digits: 0,1,2 and 3.

Is this canon info? If so, what the heck is the advantage of having four digits?

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's canon info at all.
Trek computers measure memory in kiloquads. If a quad was as you define then 1 kiloquad would be able to store as much data as 15 bytes! Rather silly.

All the evidence points towards Trek computers still being binary in operation.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it sounded cool, anyways. Look, this is the first post with my status line!

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Janeway's reference to "trinary logic" in 'Hope and Fear'?

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek computers are not binary. Kim said in "Future's End" that it would take him a few moments to convert to "their old binary system". That said, the ep with the Binars seemed to suggest the Trek computers were still binary. And a "quad" (both kilo and giga) was just a made up unit first used with Data's storage capacity to suggest a very big unit without relating it to anything used today.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinary computers have a 'Yes', 'No' and a 'Maybe'. (according to White Wolf's Roleplaying game: "Mage", in this case the Technomage part).

Trinary syntax was indeed mentioned in the Voyager episode 'Hope and Fear'.

In real life: The term 'quads' was created to avoid the possibility that real computers were going to exceed the capacity of Treks computers. So they needed a none existent means of measuring the amount of data.
Although Riker did mention 'bytes' in the episode with the Bynars.

------------------
If you want to know more about paranoids, follow them around...

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 30, 2000).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Voth stated in "Distant Origin" that Voyager had a "simple binary computer system" or something like that.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that the ep? I know there was one where a couple people beam into a corridor on Voyager and scan a computer terminal, saying that it's binary...

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: It was "Distant Origin".

I notice that the computer technology is among the least consistent in Star Trek.

A two-state (=binary) logic is the only "logical" choice for any data storage. The smallest possible device would be a single atom that can have an excited and a basic state. This is already possible today, at least in very basic experiments, for instance quantum tunneling microscopy. Of course, one could argue that different electrons in an atom can occupy different states, maybe with a "Heisenberg compensator" Trek computers could distinguish more states, but the storage device would be much more complicated.

A three-state logic maybe useful in some data transfer (pulse modulation) techniques, in order to keep the mean value (over time) of an arbitrary signal zero. However, I don't believe this is the case in Starfleet's ODN.

There is nothing like an "old" or "new" binary system. If there is a problem of converting data, it's either an analog issue of signal levels or a matter of data decryption, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the digital system.

And now for the worst problem, the quads. The TNG people were wise to introduce this obscure unit. In 1987, a 1 gigabyte volume of the E-D computer would have been astonishing, nowadays it's ridiculous. Nevertheless, the quad figures are rising exponentially. The small isolinear chips store some kiloquads, the Enterprise-D data always counted in megaquads, Voyager needs gigaquads or even teraquads. The Galaxy was and is pretty much advanced, but has only a small fraction of the storage capacity of the Intrepid? I can't believe that.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most worst mistake on Voyager on this subject:

They recovered teraquads of information from the Mars orbitter.

------------------
If you want to know more about paranoids, follow them around...

(-=\V/=-)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Janeway said in "One Small Step": "We recovered over 60 TERAQUADS of information from Ares 4"
Now, that's ridiculous! The only device used by 7 of 9 was a tricorder. So that means, one VOY-tricorder can store over 60 Tq! Another poosibility is that the tricorder just send data directley to the Delta Flyer, although 60 Tq for the DeltaFlyer is still nonsense.

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Data once say his memory capacity was so-and-so many quadrillion bits? Could Quad simply equal quadrillion?

That'd make a TeraQuad would be a Trillion Quadrillion bits?

10 to the 12th to the 15th? That's a LOT of information...

So that's probably wrong. And more unlikely that the Ares had that much memory.

Er. if the Tricorder was simply acting as a relay and uplink conduit, it wouldn't need to have all that much memory capacity, would it?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

No, the tricorder wouldn't have needed that capacity in the latter case. But the Delta Flyer would have needed it. 60 Tq+ is still too many for a mere shuttle! (Borg tech??)

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be possible to store that much data in a tricorder. Look how hard drives have changed in the last decade. They are getting smaller and with a higher storage capacity. Now a modern PC has 10 gb and this figure is going higher. In 400 years time the amount stored will be huge.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Yes, but it doesn't make sense in Trek-terms. The amount of storage on the Enterprise is still measured in Kiloquads, while a tricorder in VOY can hold 60 TERAquads

------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps