Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Quads (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quads
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the idea of the DF holding 60Tq is a bit much, but VOY's jump to giga- and teraquads from TNG's kiloquads isn't entirely bad. Bear in mind that the E-D had simple isolinear chips, while Voyager has bio-neural circuitry.

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we've seen what ten years of advancement in data storage can do in the real world.

On the other hand, there really hasn't been a great leap in computer technology, at least not visibly. On the gripping hand, once computers pass a certain point, will we even notice their improvement anymore?

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats true about performance but the problem is only about the increasing size of computer storage but the way that data is stored. With such a large computer core in voyager a good database management system is needed just to store and keep track of the information. Imagine the Operating System that voyager would be using to run its hardware. Hopefully, it is not windows based.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Only registred users may use this replicator"

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janeway: "Mr. Tuvok, fire photon torpedoes"

Tuvok: "I'm trying captain, but the torpedo systems have performed an illegal operation."

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have performed an illegal operation.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a quad was a quadrillion bits, that would put one around 110 terrabytes. That's over 80 million floppy diskettes. Over one million zip disks. Over 6,000 DVDs. Or 46 of those nifty new credit-card sized devices that'll be coming out in a few years. So with our best data storage, 60 TQ would need the space taken up by 3 quadrillion credit cards. That's 1.7 ex 13 cubic meters. That's enough to make a cube 26 kilometers on a side. I'm estimating that's enough to cover the land surface of the earth with a layer four inches deep.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, bear in mind that a bit is pretty standard, since it's a binary digit. A byte, however, was decided to be eight bits so as to accomodate a sufficient number of characters (256) while not taking up too much memory (we could've had ten-bit bytes or twelve-bit bytes, or whetever, but they would take up extra space, and the extra characters it would provide aren't really necessary).

Now, if Trek uses larger "bytes" (if they use more bits to store a single character), then they would need more storage space to hold things. Say they use sixteen-bit characters. What would be a simple 50k file for us, would actually take up twice as much space on a Trek computer. So, to put it another way, however much bigger a Tek character is than our bytes, they need that many times more space to hold it. If they use sixteen-bit characters, a DVD would only hold half what we can fit on it. The information would be twice as detailed, but there wouldn't be as much of it. If their "bytes" are even larger, this is even more evident.

So one can see why such large storage capacities could be necessary.

------------------
"Good. I'll look forward to your report, Mr. Broccoli."
-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, TNG: "Hollow Pursuits"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theory: 1 quad = 1 quadrillion bits (or bytes, doesn't make much of a difference)

1 Teraquad would be 10^15*10^12=10^27 bits. Asssuming that it were possible to use single-atom storage devices, then a silicon device (density: 10^21 cm^-3) would require a volume of 10^6 cm^3 = 1 cubic meter. Not a convenient size for a tricorder.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps