Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ejectable bridges and the newest ST: Magazine issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ejectable bridges and the newest ST: Magazine issue
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the new issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, there is an article with the making of the Vor"cha. It said in the article that it's bridge can be ejected like the Enterprise-D's and Voyager's! That better be a misprint about replaceable bridge modules.

(The rest of the magazine has a feature on Majel Barett, the final making of the Enterprise-D bridge, a Rick Berman interview, the construction logs of DS9 and the promenade cutaway)

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could barely buy the E-nil bridge being ejectable - it looks compact enough for that. No chance for E-D or Voyager, and I doubt it would be honorable for Klingons to eject at all. A Klingon commander shouldn't abandon his bridge in the event of defeat or other impending loss of ship, and having "a bridge that can abandon the ship" makes cowardice much too easy... Subordinates can take the escape pods if they wish.

What about the Promenade plans? Are they of the four-turboshaft style we saw in the DS9 Tech Manual, or a more proper trilaterally symmetrical shape? Or do they only show the "real" Promenade, that is, the section that was really built as a set?

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone could scan in the latest pics of starships from st:the magazine for us poor fellows who can�t get the magazine.
As for me, the latest issues from st:fact files are on my webpage as of yesterday. This includes schematics of Ares 4 and the borg probe.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pIn'a' Sov, if you're really interested in getting The Magazine I might be able to help you. I send Bernd issues. Though it gets a bit expensive.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw the ejectable bridge module as a "lifeboat" (although I DID like the idea of Star Station Aurora's "command hull lifeboat" on their Ingram-class made from Decks 1 & 2) & given the way it works, I can't see it as being a "blowaway" deal. I think it's JUST swappable for a new bridge module...& that's VERY easy to see.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the TNGTM says that the original Galaxy class prototype had an ejectable bridge module during it's spaceworthiness trials that even had sublight drive. But that was the prototype. They may have made some like that during the Dominion War. But I think I may have heard somewhere that they thought about doing that for Voyager, but changed their minds somewhere.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ejectable Vor'cha bridge isn't a new idea, IIRC, I believe it comes from Sternbach. I think he even said that the Galor bridge can eject.

Having a way to abandon ship doesn't seem that dishonorable - The BoP from "Penumbra" had six starboard pods, and presumably six port ones as well - I mean what if the ship is in danger of being hit by a stray comet, there are always less honorable ways to die...

Boris

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall any occasion where ejecting the bridge was regarded as an option. On the contrary, captains always seem to be going down with their ships, and if not, they take normal lifeboats. I think the bridge separation is just a phantom like the Aerowing or whatever it may be called.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of bridge ejecting seems laughable. Whenever the bridge crew needs to leave, it is done in normal escape pods. Though, it does make sense for prototype vessels. I think that if you were testing a new drive system or something that you would want to get out as quickly as possible. And being a prototype vessel, you might have a small crew which would negate the practicality of having many escape pods scattered throughout the ship.

------------------
"How's your 13th chromosome? Missing a couple of base pairs in gene 178?"--Captain Janeway to Mortimer Harren

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the ejectable bridge modules were never to be thought of as a survival device, but mearly an easy way of upgrading a bridge. Sort of like, this one's got worn carpet, let's pop in a new one
This would explain how we saw in Generations a new Enterprise bridge with the side stations and elevated command seating. They just replaced the bridge module with an upgrade.

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jello all

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't the Enterprise-D
blueprints mention something about a Bridge Ejection system???

I could be wrong, I really don't feel like digging into the back room to find my blueprints.

BTW, would the Prototype Galaxy have to be the U.S.S. Galaxy.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

IP: Logged
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy Cartman, you're on a roll!

Yep they do, they latches and associated systems are on Deck 2, so I would assume that all the Galaxies have it, the same I think is true of Miranda classes.

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galor (and Keldon) Class head section can clearly seperate. You can easely identify 3 impulse at the rear end of the module.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders what the real connection is between the shape of the Galor class ships and the Cardassian symbol. Was the former modeled after the latter or vice versa? Were the designers of the Galor given the order to build a ship in the shape of the honored symbol, engineering aspects be damned? Or was this ship so influential in expanding the Cardassian Union that its silhouette was adopted as the symbol of new Cardassia?

In any case, I agree that the "head" part of the Galor can separate in an emergency. The "heads" of most Klingon designs might be optimized for that as well - although there's an interesting theory in the new novel "Diplomatic Implausibility" that the command pod is up front because the captain must be seen leading his troops to battle... And for that same reason, nobody sits in front of the captain, unless his station hugs the walls (the ST 4 BoP is an obvious exception to this rule, but perhaps Kirk and pals modified the bridge extensively? At least it looks completely different from the original ST 3 bridge).

Timo Saloniemi

Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TY, nx59650

That kind of makes me wish i joined this forum months ago and not just read it.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps