Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » There are four lights,... I mean nacelles! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: There are four lights,... I mean nacelles!
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the image of the four-nacelled Excelsior study model Mike Okuda was talking about. Thanks to Timo for negotiating with Mike! We have an agreement with Mike. Please *don't use* this image on websites. We might make a nice schematic of it, though :-D
http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/wolf359.htm (scroll down for description)
http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/wolf359/excelsior-4nacelles.jpg
*** Courtesy of Pocket Books, (c) Paramount ***

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or is the download incredibly slow?

After waiting about 10 minutes and only getting a little bit of the image I closed the window. You might want to check what's up with your server Bernd.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited June 19, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I think we'll just need to ignore that little "USS EXCELSIOR NCC-2000", eh? *L*

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that what it says on it?
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe Bernd's server is going to crap. Half the time I try to go to his site in the afternoon, it won't even load.

Back to topic, that ship looks really cool! Though, I don't think is seys NCC-2000. That model is still intact as far as I know.
------------------
"How's your 13th chromosome? Missing a couple of base pairs in gene 178?"--Captain Janeway to Mortimer Harren

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out.
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited June 19, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine the direction Federation ship design may have gone if this model were actually used. I think I can already make out some of the parts of the ship. Below that giant bubble (looks almost like a secondary bridge) there is a large opening, possibly the shuttlebay. The ship would probably have been smaller then the Excelsior we know: Look at the size of the bridge. Mabybe if they shortened that "neck", this ship might actually look pretty kewl.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not an Excelsior primary hull. It looks more similar to a Constitution II class. It almost looks like a predecessor to the Prometheus Class.

------------------
"Why can't we be friends?'--Smash Mouth

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no matter what anyone thinks the ship looks like, I for one am just happy that our persistence is starting to pay off, first with the Springfield class and now with this model. Hopefully Okuda will present us with even more pics in the near future so we don't have to wait a year for his book.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, can anyone make out the registry number or even the name?

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im pretty sure its Says USS Excelsior NCC-2000 , Great Job on getting this pic Bernd & Timo , Well in my opinion the design isnt really that good ... Down right ugly. I mean Those modeling guys must have blown their budget pretty quick to peice together a ship with coffee cups... Oh Wait... That Coffee Cup isnt part of the design is it? :p

------------------
Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okuda sez the registry is the good old 2000, but the name on this model originally (as finished by the boys at ILM) read "USS Alka-selsior"...

Since Mike said "originally", the name might have been altered later on. In any case, Bernd has convincingly argued that this was probably one of the first Excelsior study models to be built, since it uses the pre-existing Constitution-refit saucer and not the more customized designs seen on the other two known study models. The model with the lenticular hull and traditional secondary hull apparently is the final version before the "production model", while the flat variant might come in between. Interestingly, the four-naceller and the flat ship have the correct saucertop detail while the saucertop of the lenticular-hull ship seems smooth. So the final design really is the best of both worlds...

No, I don't think the coffee cup is an integral part of the ship design (unless it's a tanker of some sort) . But note that nor are the dark diagonal lines on the saucer - that's just the metal wire used to hang the model from the Art Dept office ceiling. This sort of makes the saucer look confusingly like the Miranda class one in the bow-view photo...

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design is interesting.
And this ship's design is canonical for the brief appearances in both episodes.

There appears to be three primary families of starships in Star Fleet, that are at least known: the Galaxy, the Constitution, and the Excelsior.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice design. Needs to be somewhat shorter in the secondary hull for my taste. But it makes a good canon ship, unlike the Freedom and Niagara Class...

The model reminds me of THIS fan-made model.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 20, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the name is "Excelsior", but I'm not sure if that is better than "Alka-selsior".

The server seems to have some difficulties lately, maybe the university is not used to so much traffic

I'm probably moving to a professional provider soon.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the split on the saucer, or is it string for hanging it from the ceiling?

Nice model

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps