Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy Class not the first Galaxy Class ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy Class not the first Galaxy Class ?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Aban Rune's "naval tradition" is in error.

For instance, there have been multiple instances of repeat names for Battleship classes. Case in point:

USS Maine ACR-1, Maine Second Class Battleship (1895 - 1898)
USS Maine BB-10, Maine Class Battleship (1902 - 1922)

USS Iowa B-4, Iowa Class Battleship (1897 - 1919)
USS Iowa BB-61, Iowa Class Battleship (1943 - Now)

USS South Dakota BB-49, South Dakota Class (Cancelled during construction)
USS South Dakota BB-57, South Dakota Class (1942 - 1947)

Note, these classes are all seperate. Though technically they didn't exist at the same time, they definatly existed as seperate classes with the same name.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iowa hasn't been in commission since 1994 or so.

The "reused class name" thing has come up again recently. In the mid-70s, the USN commissioned the Virginia-class nuclear guided-missile cruisers--Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, & Arkansas; they were all decommissioned & stricken from the Navy list in the early & mid-90s.

Now, EB has gotten the contracts to build the NSSN, also called the SSN-774 class. The lead boats in the class are--you guessed it--SSN-774 Virginia & SSN-775 Texas, with SSN-776 Hawaii & an as-yet-unnamed SSN-777 following on.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited June 22, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on, OK you've worked out the equivalent warp speeds between 'generations' but wasn't the TOS warp speed based on squaring the number before it or cubing it?

The scaling problem might be what they were talking about in "The Cage" maybe they could only go to the TOS equivalent of warp 4 wereas the TOS ships could only go to the TNG equivalent of warp 8?? safely...

Maybe also the Kelvans were a long lived race who didn't mind the long span of time. Or maybe they only were sophisticated enough to upgrade to warp 9.7 equivalency. It would be interesting to see them 'now' i.e. in the 24th century... are they still roughly 100 years ahead of the Federation? Are they similar in nature to the Caretakers?? the sporocistecine lifeforms from Voyager?

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seemed to be "making stuff up" in TNG likewise. Geordi estimates 300 years to go back from M33, and the stated distance is 2,700,000 ly. That's 9000c.

Similarily, Subspace radio is somehow uncapable of degradation here, as 51 years are enough to travel the same distance according to Data even though no relay stations exist. Voyager should've been able to communicate with the AQ a long time ago going by that Episode.

Boris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that, like in the encyclopedia, it isn't meant to suggest that subspace signals will travel that far, but that if they could, that is how long it would take them, all things being equal.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were Picard (and especially the serious Picard of those early days), I'd probably say something like "Mr. La Forge, our maximum sustainable speed is Warp 9.2 and not Warp 9.99, please restrict your calculations to that range. Mr. Data, wouldn't you agree that calculating subspace radio time is largely irrelevant because there are no relay stations in the vicinity?" "Uh, yes sir, I was just trying to depress you more..."

Boris

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction of a minor error: The E-nil wasn't upgraded to warp 14.1 by the Kelvans, but 'only' to warp 11 (1331c). So a trip to M31 would take 1652.892561983 years. And the episode is named "By Any Other Name".

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53672:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Something in response to the Miranda sig line
-------------------------------------------------

INT. U.S.S. MARTHA - TRANSPORTER PAD

as two Johann, Martha, and two little kids beam aboard. The room is empty like the entire ship, having been in storage for seventy years. Broken consoles and dust are all over the place.

MARTHA
(terribly scared)
Johnny...where did you bring us to?

JOHANN
(excited)
The Martha! NCC-1860. So wie Achtzehn-hundert-sechzig, Muenchen. And I mean really, a thousand bucks gets you a five-room apartment on Earth, but how about five HUNDRED ABOVE Earth?

MARTHA
OH MY GOD, Johnny...WHY, WHY...It's all dirty and dark and empty...what about our guests...How're they going to come to visit? What if we run into an asteroid?

JOHANN
NO WE WON'T. What're you talking about? We'll paint her with lotsa flowers and pretty colors, gonna be a real girl. We're gonna be pioneers for a great future...a sky full of cute flowery Mirandas orbiting Paradise, all Private Property.

MARTHA
Shh..don't say that...here...y'know
they caught the Barneys for that...

JOHANN
Oops...Ok, but anyway, the kids are gonna
have lot of fun playing hide-and-seek.
Speaking of which, where are they? Billy!

as we hear from the distance...

A CHILD'S VOICE
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

JOHANN
Kid's gone down a turboshaft..

MARTHA
(begins to sob real loud)
What? OH NO, BILLY, BILLY...

JOHANN
It's only a quarter G.

MARTHA
Oh, yes...right.

JOHANN
Or is it? Wait, BILLY! BILLY!

as they run out into the corridor.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Boris

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Martha NCC-1860: Part II

*Johann and Martha, seeking for Billy*

*BOOM*

JOHANN
Looks like we fell into the elevator shaft... Lucky
that we're on the lower decks...

MARTHA
This is getting worse every time! Oh Johann, you son of a b*tch, are you trying to enforce a divorcement?

BILLY
...?

JOHANN
[to Martha] Shhhht... don't say that where the little boy is near! Hey, is that a door, or am I hallucinating?

MARTHA
I remain here with little Billy! Find it all out for yourself, I'm gettin' outta here!

JOHANN
[walks through the door]
I haven't had much luck with women over the past few years... Hey, that's the deuterium tank. Wonder if there's still a bit of fuel left?

[climbs into the tank, which shows some holes after all its endurances over the past 100 years]
Yes! 2 grams of deuterium! Hope that's enough.
[executes a side-to-side transport to the bridge]

[wipes off dust from the engineering console]
It's broken! Damn!
[kicks console out of frustration]
[thrusters turn on]
Ahhh, hear that little baby spinnin'!

COMPUTER VOICE
Krrrrrkkkkk.... Wrnin: ngin ovrld ...

JOHANN
Hmmm... That lady sounds like my grandma...

COMPUTER
... Cntnment falure... Xplzhn in thrr mntes...

Will Johann survive? Will there be a divorcement?
You'll see it, after the commercial breaks...

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Miranda class vessels, as good as new! Survived the Dominion Wars! Only 100 years old! Only 20,000 ly on the counter! Buy now for only $1000! And if you order now, you get an Oberth class for half the price!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris wrote: "So wie Achtzehn-hundert-sechzig, Muenchen."

Na ob das jemand hier verstehen wird...

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

ACT THREE

EXT. SPACE - OPTICAL

The Martha explodes in a giant fireball.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

INT. U.S.S. MARTHA - TRANSPORTER PAD

as Johann, Martha, and two little kids beam aboard. The room is empty like the entire ship, having been in storage for seventy years....

MARTHA
(terribly scared)
Johnny...where did you bring us to?

JOHANN
(excited)
The Martha! NCC-1860. So wie Achtzehn-hundert-sechzig, Muenchen. And I mean really, a thousand bucks gets you a five-room apartment on Earth, but how about five HUNDRED ABOVE Earth?

MARTHA
OH MY GOD, Johnny...WHY, WHY...It's all dirty and dark and empty...what about our guests...How're they going to come to visit? What if we run into an...an...

JOHANN
Asteroid?

MARTHA
Yes, how did you...

JOHANN
NO WE WON'T. What're you talking about? We'll paint her with lotsa flowers and pretty colors, gonna be a real girl. We're gonna be pioneers for a great future...a sky full of cute flowery Mirandas orbiting Paradise, all Private Property.

MARTHA
Shh..don't say that...here...y'know
they caught the Barneys for that...

JOHANN
Oops...Ok, but anyway, the kids are gonna
have lot of fun playing hide-and-seek.
Speaking of which, where are they? Billy!

as we hear from the distance...

A CHILD'S VOICE
Eeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

JOHANN
Kid's gone down a turboshaft..

MARTHA
(begins to sob real loud)
What? OH NO, BILLY, BILLY...But wait, it's only a
quarter-G..

JOHANN
It IS only a quarter G. How did you...

MARTHA
I...

JOHANN
Or is it? Wait, BILLY! BILLY!

as they run out into the corridor.

TO BE CONTINUED....AGAIN

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 24, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Aha, jetzt sieh' ich es... 1860 Muenchen! Die Fussballvereinigung!

BTW: Feyenoord Rotterdam rules!

But this is all getting a bit off-topic....

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FINISH IT! please! part four please!!

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ye gods! It's "Cause and Effect" all over again! AHHH!!!

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Ok, if you don't like it, I'm decanonizing Act Three...we're getting way off topic, but wait, just one more...

A few minutes before Johann turns on the self-destruct...

INT. ROLLBAR

A dark room like any other. Heinz (the other kid) is looking around, having just climbed up a ladder from the lower decks.

HEINZ
Let's see if Billy thinks of going up here. Wow, that's some room. I know, I'll hide in one of these oval shaped boxes.

*Heinz enters an open box and closes the lid. The box is mounted on some kind of railing, and as soon as the lid closes, it starts to move slowly*

HEINZ
Wait a second. Hey, what's going on? HELP!!
HELP!!!

FADE OUT as the box slides into a tube.

A couple of seconds later....

TAH-YAW.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited June 25, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps