Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy Class not the first Galaxy Class ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy Class not the first Galaxy Class ?
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I browsed through James Dixon's Fandom Chronology, I found something of a Galaxy Class in service around 2286. The entry said that it came from the ST:TMP novelization, written by Gene Roddenberry. This would make it (semi-)canon. Could it be that JD was mistaken in the source, or are we really facing a new class?

(BTW: there were supposed to be 4 Galaxy class ships in service, namely USS Andromeda, USS M-31, USS Magellan and USS Magellanic Clouds. No class ship! Although the ship names are all derived from existing galaxies.)

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The key words here are "Fandom Chronology" This would not even be close to canon. Any adherance to naval tradition would totally preclude the idea of having more than one class of ship with the same name. You may have several U.S.S. Galaxys but only one of them is Galaxy Class. The whole point of having different classes is to differentiate ships.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not as if Roddenberry would have refused to use the name Galaxy class for the E-D just because he once happened to write (co-write?) some stuff that featured a Galaxy class already. Roddenberry was probably the person least concerned with continuity in the entire Star Trek staff. Put him and Dixon in the same room and be assured that only one of them will step out, raving "I had to do it - can you BELIEVE this guy?!"...

The novelizations of the TOS movies don't seem to be of very high quality in general. The TNG ones more or less reproduce the early versions of the scripts without adding much, but the TOS ones seem to "flesh out" weird details and leave the main story and character interaction rather thin. I guess I'm biased because I have actually seen the TOS movies before I read the novelizations, while it's vice versa for the TNG stuff.

Timo Saloniemi

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The [TOS #1] entry is a mistake - I read the TMP novelization recently, and would have noticed something that interesting. Furthermore, a later chronology entry featuring Mandala Flynn, commander of that Galaxy-class starship is given the code [ST III] (even though the captain doesn't appear in the movie). Dixon probably meant the ST III novelization, which should be labeled [TOS #17].

Boris

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I already kinda had the idea that Dixon was wrong. If the class would exist in the TMP novelization, I would have found at least some mentions of it on the Internet. But I don't have that book, so I just asked.

Anyway, my opinion is that things Roddenberry said carries at least some grade of weight, making it at least semi-canon to me. The fact that I found the mention of the 'early Galaxy class' in a fandom work, Aban, does not mean that ALL info in it has to be ignored. The Fandom Chronology is nothing more than a timeline of Star Trek to which also fandom stuff is added. It also contains info from canon sources.

------------------
"...he is the incorporation of evil and knowledge in one organic lifeform..."
- Bible of Alpha Centauri , page 2763

"...if you discontinue worshipping him, you will be tortured by the guardians of his Holy Empire... You won't survive..."
- page 67834

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reference is from the ST II novelization. Sulu is commenting on his upcomming command of the Excelsior, and the reference to these new ships comes up... It most definitly is NOT canon, as the afformentioned ships are capable to travelling to nearby galaxies, which is not true given current ST technology and history...

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several sources suggest that the TMP novelization was ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster, not Roddenberry. Which still makes it important because Foster wrote the story for TMP (on which the teleplay was based).

Boris

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...I also remember a reference to "Galaxy-class explorers" in the FASA ST4 sourcebook. The names were exactly the same, except that it wasn't the Magellan & the Magellanic Cloud, it was the Greater Magellanic Cloud & Lesser Magellanic Cloud. Both are great names for science vessels & tankers....I think I might've used them for Oberths in my J-Project.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited June 21, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did really like the snarks and boojums from the ST II novel, though.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Throwing in for fun: some interesting calculations about intergalactic travel :

To Great Magellanic Cloud (distance: 169,000 ly)
Average speed of warp 6.0 (392c): 431 years
Average speed of warp 8.0 (1024c): 165 years
Average speed of warp 9.6 (1909c): 88 years
Boosted subspace radio (warp 9.9999 = 199,516c): 10 months

To Small Magellanic Cloud (285,000 ly)
Warp 6.0: 727 years
Warp 8.0: 278 years
Warp 9.6: 149 years
Subspace radio: 1 year 5 months

To M31 (Andromeda Galaxy) (2,200,000 ly)
Warp 6.0: 5612 years
Warp 8.0: 2148 years
Warp 9.6: 1152 years
Subspace radio: 11 years

To center of the Virgo Cluster (60,000,000 ly)
Warp 6.0: 153,061 years
Warp 8.0: 58,593 years
Warp 9.6: 31,430 years
Subspace radio: 300 years

To center of Coma Berenices Cluster (400,000,000 ly)
Warp 6.0: 1,020,408 years
Warp 8.0: 390,625 years
Warp 9.6: 209,533 years
Subspace radio: 2004 years

Maybe I'll post next time some travel times to other destinations (quasar 3C273, for instance).

------------------

"...if you discontinue worshipping him, you will be tortured by the guardians of his Holy Empire... You won't survive..."
- page 67834

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if it takes 1100+ years to reach M31 at warp 9.6, how come the Enterprise-D could cover that distance in "only" 300 years?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise-D wasn't flung to M31; it was flung to M33.

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

The Enterprise-D was thrown to M33, indeed. Which is located 2.4 million lightyears from Earth, and 500,000 lightyears from M31.
The original Enterprise, on the other hand, was in an episode (can't remember the name) hijacked by the Kelvans from the M31 galaxy. They modified the Enterprises's engines so that it could be taken to M31. The engines were boosted so that they could maintain a velocity of TOS warp 14.1. It was stated that at that speed, it would take a 300 years to travel that distance. Unfortunately, TOS warp 14.1 is 2803.221c (approx. equivalent to TNG/DS9/VOY warp 9.7), so a trip to M31 would take 784 years, 9 months, 22 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 12.28571443 seconds. So, writer's error, I would say.

------------------

- page 67834

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But not a bad guess considering that they were just making stuff up.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Yes, but with a calculator they could have devised a reasonable well figure within seconds.
But whatever... Even if it was 300 years, that's still a whole lot of time!

------------------

- page 67834

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps