Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Another Miranda variant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Miranda variant
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I'd better turn THIS discussion into a new thread.

Short version:
There appearantly is a new refit in the Miranda family. This is probably mentioned before, but here it is nonetheless:

LOOK! FOUR impulse engines!
The pictures are from 'Sacrifice of Angels'.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 26, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blast me eyes. All I can see is a rather blurry type I Miranda.

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two extra impulse engines in the back of the torpedo launchers. They are even bigger than the original two engines found on the type I Miranda.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehhhh, without seeing the ep again, I couldn't really say. With the quality of the photos, it could just be the glow from the aft torp launchers.

Having impulse engines on the roll bar would be a physically stupid thing to do. Regardless of weightlessness, the impulse engines still have to overcome the inertia of the ship to get it moving. So, if there were imp. engines on that rollbar, the connections where the bar meets the main hull would essentially have to bear the mass and inertia of the entire ship as it accelerated (if the other engines weren't being used.) Not very smart.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

If it is the torpedo's then why only the back end. And why only on the Miranda class?

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks it could just be some random refit Starfleet's done. They could've found a way to cram impulse engines AND forward torpedo launchers into the roll bar.
Just think of it as "Type 1 with more impulse engines"

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly used to chase down ships of the Dominion.

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there a variant with a navigational deflector on the roll bar or is that something I've seen of the ST creator CD thing?
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The torpedo assembly doesn't look quite large enough to contain the launcher, its magazine, and an impulse engine. I suppose it could be using a much smaller engine, but if these smaller engines exist, why not retrofit the ships' main impulse engines to this new smaller design?

Or, along a different line, is the acceleration boost from another engine worth giving up aft torpedo coverage?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

To be faster or to be able to fire backwards. Good question!

On another note: The Galaxy Class ships in 'Sacrifice of Angels' are running on three impulse engines instead of just one. So it seems that they were also going for extra speed on the Galaxy's.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 27, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be that impulse maneuverability was the biggest weak point of Federation ships early in the war (c.f. the Odyssey against the three fighterlike Jem'Hadar ships). While modern medium ships had sufficient maneuverability, modern heavyweights needed more oomph so Galaxies began using all three engines. (I also speculate Akiras used to fly with two engines previously, and activated the boom engines only when Galaxies began using the saucer engines...)

Perhaps the older de-mothballed Mirandas were hopelessly impulse-deficient, so it was either give them more impulse capability or not reactivate them at all. So Starfleet decided to install the extra impulse engines and get a hundred semi-battleworthy ships, rather than spend the bucks on improving the more modern ships and have to make do with a hundred ships less.

It's not impossible IMHO to have impulse engines up there. There's already antimatter feed for the torps and conduitry for the phasers, so why not fuel leads as well? And the torp launchers must be very compact if the pod originally had four. And none of the blueprints I have seen have depicted the Constitution or Miranda impulse assemblies as larger than the externally distinguishable "engine block" including the nozzles and the blue crystal.

As for the pylons not being capable of taking the loads... The warp nacelle pylons of a Constitution are just as (if not more) spindly, and have to take major loads as well since nacelles supposedly make up a major portion of the ship mass.

Timo Saloniemi

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird. I'd sure like to see the rest of that clip to confirm that there isn't any impulse glow from the rear of the primary hull. Having said that, it looks to me as if there isn't any based upon what's being shown. Do you think the special effects guys were tired when they made this ep, or was this (assuming the rollbar glow is an impulse engine) an intentional modification?

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind, I can see the glow from the usual impulse vent locations. Temporary brain lock.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This miranda variant does the ship have a name (ie is it visible)? Most likely to give the miranda class a bit more speed when attacking the maneverable dominion ships.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

The Seatak and the Majestic have the same impulse engine upgrade!!

In fact: All Miranda's of which the rear was visible had 4 impulse engines.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps