Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Another Miranda variant (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Miranda variant
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...couldn't this be another mistake by the special effects people?

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good change. They also introduced the second CGI Jem'Hadar battle cruiser in this episode. Also the full version of the new CGI Galaxy Class made it's debute here (it was used in earlier episodes of the same season, but the hull coloring wasn't right. It was purple on some regions). It wouldn't surprise my that several other CGI meshes were also new ones.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe these red lights are activated photon torpedo tubes, like the tube of the Kronos One in ST6.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I am *certain* it actually *is* impulse engine glow we see here. I remember watching this onscreen, and I said aloud to my other Trekker buddies, "hey, look at the Miranda's engines"...since we had this on tape, we rewinded and watched it over and over. Sure enough, the Miranda's in that seen, about three of them if I recall correctly, have modified impulse engines. So, I think I am pretty certain those are not torpedoes shooting and it isn't a reflection. I'll go with Timo on them being modified to catch up with Dommie ships.

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on that theory, and I also mentioned the triple Galaxy engines as being the same theory.

Now here is an addition:
Could the reason for the lack of Ambassador and Nebula (at least until the end) be that they aren't fast enough at impulse? Fact is that they are among the largest and therefore heaviest ships in Starfleet.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the poor Nebulas also seem to lack impulse engines altogether! Perhaps that's what kept them grounded.

The original models had these teeny weeny grilles just below the saucer rim, at the places where a Galaxy would have had big and prominent saucer-edge nozzles. They never glowed red or anything AFAIK.

But the CGI model seems to omit even these. And while the rest of the saucer suddenly has all the Galaxy features, windows and lifepods, it doesn't gain Galaxy-style impulse nozzles.

It hardly seems possible that the Nebula would be designed for warp-only operations. But if it were, it would be quite incapable of combat...

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

IIRC the Nebula seen in the DS9 pilot had a Galaxy type single impulse engine.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 29, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went and checked "Emissary pt I". I can't see any engine glow on the Bellerophon at all, whereas the red glow from the Ambassador ship beside her (supposedly the Yamagochi)is clearly visible.

And the Bellerophon model doesn't have the twin saucer-rim nozzles of a Galaxy, either (but I can't tell whether the under-rim grilles are there or not).

The Prometheus from "Second Sight" is a different matter. I'm only 98% sure she didn't have impulse glow, so I'll go and check when I can. I think she was identical to the Bellerophon, though. And the Farragut from "Generations" didn't have impulse glow, and did have the small grilles.

Timo Saloniemi

* PS. Boy, the Bellerophon and the Yamagochi moved FAST at impulse. So much for the theory that they were too clumsy against the Dominion without impulse boosting. I guess DS9 battles were all filmed at slow motion or something.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps