Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Kitbashed ships in "Time to Stand" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kitbashed ships in "Time to Stand"
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I could have sworn that in an old thread somewhere, Okuda made a comment that he built a bunch of kitbashes for "A Time to Stand." Although we do see the Centaur and the "Curry," does anyone think that those (cringe!) other designs in the DS9 tech manual could actually have been built?

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a possibility. I really don't think Doug Drexler would just draw some kitbash ships to flesh out the fleet.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the same scene as the Curry there are some weird ships in the background, although they look like Miranda's.

And the Yeager class (the Intrepid saucer glued on a Maquis Raider model) is seen several times around DS9.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think they were ever built. Do we know for sure that the same people who illustrated the Tech man did that back section? It could be an add on by the publisher or the publisher could've insisted that a section like that be added even though they have no basis in reality. Possibly based on sketches.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the Yeager Class I mentioned above:

And it was seen in over a dozen DS9 episodes.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 06, 2000).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that only two out of the six DS9TM kitbashes have no clear origin. These are the two on page 157. Even so, the ship on the bottom half of the page is very similar in layout to the Freedom-class (just with incorrect base components). God only knows where the design on the top half of p157 originates from though.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the Yeager Class was seen (although that illustration is not quite right). I'm talking about the rediculous looking Excelsior variant with 3 nacelles and the Intrepid saucer with Runabout struts on it. Eeeeecccchhh! They didn't even bother to give them class names. By the way, I don't accept the explanation from the book that says a whole bunch of old ships and spare parts were thrown together to make these new ones. Just don't buy it! You can't throw together a spacecraft.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen these pictures?

http://www.onlyinla.com/~fructose/voyager1.gif
http://www.onlyinla.com/~fructose/voyager2.gif

They are some of the early design drawrings for Voyager. That's what that one kitbash is based on.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another drawing: http://nzcabac.future.easyspace.com/Other/_IntrepidPrototype.jpg

models: http://nzcabac.future.easyspace.com/Other/IntrepidPrototype.jpg http://nzcabac.future.easyspace.com/Other/IntrepidPrototype02.jpg

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 06, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... It was supposed to have a lower registry...

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fructose1: That's not definite, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The kitbash or the early design? It's deffinetly an early design. It says so right in my book Star Trek: Where No One Has Gone Before. But it's pretty close to the ship in the DS9 tech manual. I'd be surprised if they came up with both ships independently.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that this prototype of the USS Voyager might have been used in Deep Space Nine. This could even be the "Yeager" Class.
From what I have read on the forums, the study models are used to "fill" in the background.

The only difficulty is that the "Yeager" Class is seen in the far background in the shows, obscuring many of the features.

I do like the design of the ship.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Fructose
Member # 309

Actually some of the screen shots of the Yeager class look just like their schematic. They are different models.

------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what is the worst kitbash outhere. I don't know if this is canon but the Rigel Class is.

I don't know were i found this pic, but could anyone tell me where this orignated from

------------------
"...that degenerative honky."
- Hermes
refering to fry in
Futurama

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps