Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Unknown Excelsior (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unknown Excelsior
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is the Frederickson, then isn't the name just a tad too short?

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's from the Relativity scene alright, the ships from 'A Time To Stand' are more greyish, this one is brown. I'm downloading another scan now, but it's a BMP so it'll take a while.

Done! Here is the JPG version:
Utopia Planitia

Notice that the white dots are the same?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 10, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is the pic I used to identify the registry. I magnified the portion with the rego by a factor of (I believe) 4, ran some enhancement filters over it (don't know exactly which ones), and identified it as 4301. No matter how you guys stay sticked to the 4201, I keep on saying it's 4301. By the way, I also identified 'USS', but the name remains a blur. It's not Frederickson, anyway (which has NCC-42111).
I still have the enhanced capture, I will send it per e-mail to a friend of mine and ask if he can put it on his URL. That'll probably take a few days. I'm unable to do it myself, anyway.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 10, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move along, nothing to see here...

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited July 10, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Timo, the Ships of the Line calendar features a very similar panorama, but the mysterious Excelsior 4201/4301/4281/42111 is replaced by the Ent-D. Also what I had thought I had initially identified as an Excelsior in the background may just be another Steamrunner instead. Also newer "mushroom" shaped stations seen in "Relativity" are replaced by 2 Spacedocks. Otherwise, the panorama in the calendar is exactly the same as the one featured in the episode.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux, that font is also found on the internet. It's also gone by the name FederationStarfleet with or without the space character. Just look for Trek sites that offer Trek fonts for d/l and you'll find it there.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, this sucks...

The name on that Excelsior looks to be the same name that I just named a model a few weeks ago, the Shangri-La. This bites...they keep choosing the same names as I do.

BTW, the name is just a guess based on the very blurry formation & the "gap" near the end.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I found the font. However, Euroline (Microgramma) Bold Extended isn't the font they use on the ships. It's almost the same thing, only FederationStarfleet has a line around the letters.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited July 10, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this is the USS Fredrickson NCC-42111. Notice how the top and of the "0" is not as thick or as dark as the sides. Now, look at the Cs in "NCC", and you'll see the top and bottom lines are very thick and easy to make out. Therefore, I believe the top and bottom you claim to see on the "0" are actually hull lines. And I also believe the name Fredrickson could fit in there. I mean, compare the size of the 3 letters USS in there and then compare the size of how big the 11 letters in FREDRICKSON would be. The name should be just smaller then 4x the length of the USS part. Just by looking at it that seems to fit exactly.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited July 10, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with Alpha. It certainly looks like 4201. Could be 4281, but I don't think so...

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reconstruction, it looks to me to be 4281.

I've outlined in bluish the pattern. There's a hole that almost solid in the second digit, but if you follow the darkened track down, you see that it diverges; the upper half goes straight 7the lower heads down to the left--obviously a 2.

The third digit DOES look like a 0...until you really examine the middle. There's a slight dimpling on the outer edges that repeated on the interior; obviously, the crossbar of the 8 was too light at the angle to fully show up. That's not a surprise--Star Fleet Bold Extended isn't a uniformly sized font

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these all made from the same scan? I mean, at that amount of zooming, we're probably seeing the effects of printing artifacts.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, those "dimples" he sees are a result of the diagonal pattern of pixellation that you can see in the picture at that magnification.

Note that the '4' and '2' (that is, beyond a doubt, a '2'; I'm not sure how anyone could see anything else there) are the same width. If that next part were a '0', '8', or anything else like that, it would be as wide. It isn't; it's two '1's The reason there seems to be less space in the middle than there is between them and the final '1' is because there is a hull line running right between them.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I claim no expertise in this, but....

The name appears long enough to be USS FREDRICKSON.

the second character appears smudged, and apperas wider than the others. It appears, frankly, to have a short phaser burn running diagonnally across it, making it unreadable.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never though I would ever say this, but I simply have to:

"I think that it is 4301 indeed."

And the name looks long enough to be 'Fredrickson', although the Fred's registry is 42111. But that's no surprise, since the Nebula-model (USS Bogue NCC-70915) from "Message in a Bottle" [VOY] as depicted in the 'Ships of the Line' calendar also carried the name and registry from the Honshu (while being referred to 'USS Farragut in the caption, but that's not the fault of the VFX dept...). It's just sooo typical for the show's producers to be so inaccurate...

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps