Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starships at Wolf 359 and other battle tidbits

Author Topic: Starships at Wolf 359 and other battle tidbits
Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, I am writing a description of the Wolf 359 battle, as well as a prelude and afterlude to battle, for the UP3 project. I am trying to sift through some aurguments and the like. Among these:

1. Which Melbourne should be considered canon?

2. Spelling of Asimov of the Endeavour?

3. Endeavour at Wolf 359?

4. Running or stationary battle?

5. The presence of study models at Wolf 359?

6. The presence of non-canon ships at Wolf 359 (i.e., Righteous from Star Trek Borg, Hoagland from The Return)

7. 40 starships, or more?

8. Klingon starships? Romulan as hinted at in UP?

9. Smaller battles along the way?

10. Command ship after Melbourne was destroyed?

11. Some ficititous (yet not absurd) names for the ships destroyed that were not mentioned.

12. Ideas for Mars Defense Periemeter and a possible engagement in the Sol System before the E-D arrived?

13. Anyother tidbits? Ideas?

I know these reeks of non-canon info and requests but for a transcript/story it will have to. Sadly. Can anyone provide any details or knowledge or answers/suggestions for the above posts? Feel free to state your mind on what you'd like in a good Wolf 359 transcript.

Thanks,

DeltaVega

[This message has been edited by Delta Vega (edited July 25, 2000).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Roosevelt - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Klondike - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Esteban - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Watley - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Volga - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Tokyo - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Everest - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Maxwell - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Gauss - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Neptune - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Vega - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Pioneer - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Nepal - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Popovich - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Falcon - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Gemini - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Vandenberg - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Pueblo - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Zetar - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Peking - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Beagle - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Brahms - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Rixx - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Solaris - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Khumbu - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Shimoda - NCC-?????
U.S.S. Marco Polo - NCC-?????

This ships are from the Star Trek World Tour. They were listed on a plaque.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Which Melbourne should be considered canon?
I'd go for the Excelsior. It was seen more clearly.

2. Spelling of Asimov of the Endeavour?
CPT Amasov.

3. Endeavour at Wolf 359?
SAYS she was there, although I doubt it personally.

4. Running or stationary battle?
If you mean "running" as "towards Sol," then yes.

5. The presence of study models at Wolf 359?
What about it?

6. The presence of non-canon ships at Wolf 359 (i.e., Righteous from Star Trek Borg, Hoagland from The Return)
HELL, no.

7. 40 starships, or more?
40, �3

8. Klingon starships? Romulan as hinted at in UP?
Doubt it. Too far, too slow.

9. Smaller battles along the way?
Maybe, but nothing consequential. The occasional ship or 2, perhaps.

10. Command ship after Melbourne was destroyed?
Bellerophon?

11. Some ficititous (yet not absurd) names for the ships destroyed that were not mentioned.
Go here: J-Project. There'll be a numbering scheme/timeline note added to the FAQ soon, so look for that in a day or 2.

12. Ideas for Mars Defense Periemeter and a possible engagement in the Sol System before the E-D arrived?
Perhaps an implied engagement, a "Battle Of The Line" that was forming up but never saw action due to Data's command.

13. Anyother tidbits? Ideas?
Wolf 359 was probably at the same time one of the most demoralizing & the most emboldening action for Starfleet by 2370. The fact that they were hit so easily, that 40 or so ships were sliced through like paper probably alarmed them to the point where the dead were martyred & the defeat bolstered their further drive.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the battle went something like:

"First wave, attack!"
*space dust*

"Second wave...uh, attack!"
*space dust*

"Third wave..."

"Sir, we're already space dust, I'm afraid."

"Crap."

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4. I'd vote for stationary battle. For one thing, we never saw any warp streaks in "Emissary", so any running would have been at impulse - which makes very little sense. For another, it cannot be a coincidence that the battle took place in the proximity of a star, since space is so vast and starlit volumes so small. One or both of the combatants must have wanted to fight near a star, and must have had the means to make the other fight there, too.

Which brings me to the third point: I cannot see Starfleet being capable of stopping the Cube or even forcing it out of warp, yet it did at least slow to nonrelativistic impulse. So the Cube must have *wanted* to slow down - presumably so that it could battle the fleet, assimilate more tactics and weapons, and eliminate those pests once and for all so that single ships wouldn't keep on making brave but futile attacks while the cube was trying to concentrate on assimilating Earth. If the Cube wanted to stop, then I doubt this part of the battle could be considered a running one.

5. All the study models we saw were obviously "there", although we might say that some of them were damaged extensively and in "reality", would have had e.g. more nacelles. And I think it's okay to say that all the ships had modern TNG-style paint jobs, since the differing paint schemes for the older models can never be distinguished from the screen.

7. 40+3 is okay, 40-3 isn't! 40 is the minimum to leave 39 dead, and at least one survivor to limp away with the lifepods.

8. One of the pieces of wreckage tumbling on the background in "BoBW" looks like a K't'inga...

9. One wonders if some of the Wolf 359 survivors pursued the Cube towards Earth but were destroyed or forced out of warp en route. Would these be counted as Wolf 359 casualties? The E-D should have bumped into them during its pursuit, but perhaps it did. In any case, most ships at the time were probably too slow to chase the Cube anyway, except for short stretches of the assault run.

10. I suspect the ship with the most experienced captain (assuming Hanson was the only flag officer present). This doesn't necessarily mean the biggest ship. Picard took command in ST:FC even though there was a Nebula in that battle, bigger than Picard's ship. Similarly, a self-proclaimed Borg expert among the captains could have taken over in the confusion of Hanson's demise.

12. Again, odds of the Cube randomly passing by the planets are impossibly low. I suspect the Borg did the grand tour, deliberately probing the defences of each Sol planet. Before destroying the futile resistance of Mars Defence Perimeter, they probably had gone through Jupiter Defence Perimeter and Saturn Defence Perimeter also (there's a strong Starfleet presence near those planets in TNG). The perimeters would only protect the planets in question, not the whole system.

Any local ships capable of warp or high impulse would have taken part in and perished in these outer-system battles long before the Cube reached Mars, let alone Earth, making a "Battle of the Line" impossible and leaving the field clear for the E-D.

Also, the defences around Chin'Toka seemed to be quite close to the twin planets. The Cube may have passed Saturn and Mars too far for Saturnian or Martian orbital defence platforms to reach to it in the scenes we saw, thus fooling us to believing there were no orbital fortresses there. Earth's fortresses are another matter - did the Borg just destroy enough of them to make a big hole, then sat in that hole until the E-D arrived?

13. Could the slow progress of the Borg, and their habit of stopping to fight at every opportunity, have been due to the deliberate influence of Locutus in his desperate attempts to slow down the assault? That might give Picard another reason to worry - his method of saving Earth was to deliberately kill as many of his kinsmen as possible, in the vain hope that this would give time for a miracuous rescue.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Admiral in BoBW said that the Klngons are sending ships, and they were thinking about asking the Romulans (At least this is waht I remember what was said).

My question: Why where these Klingon ships in the neighborhood (sp?)? It would be logical that they would send any ship with weapons to the Borg Cube, if that includes Klingons, fine. But they still need to be close by.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its interesting that that ST World Tour plaque included the Roosevelt, I wonder if Voyager borrowed the name?

By the way, I thought its been determined that there's no real basis on the Melbourne=Flagship idea.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited July 26, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Jupiter station (not the one seen in Life Line) and the older version of Utopia Planitia (The one seen in Picard's quarters) were destroyed??

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the Cube really bothered with Utopia Planitia, as long as the battleworthy ships and immediately threatening installations there were eliminated. I'd think all of Earth's mobile defences were destroyed near Jupiter or Saturn already, save for those puny interceptors/flying bombs (of which there may have been more than three - dozens could have been destroyed off screen). So the Cube would take a few potshots at fixed installations, if that.

The painting in Picard's room probably isn't from Mars, BTW, since there's that bluish spherical moon on the background...

As for Klingon presence, there did exist a grudging alliance. Perhaps a couple of diplomatic ships were near Earth - or then law-enforcement vessels hunting for renegades, as in "Heart of Glory" where we see an old K't'inga on the Romulan Neutral Zone, sporting a UFP logo on the bridge next to the Empire logo.

Timo Saloniemi

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the painting from Picard's qaurters looks a little like the Spacedock from the movies?

------------------
Perdict the unperdictable, but how do you unperdict the unperdictable?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe upper section is like the spacedock, however the lower section looks Regula 1-ish

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just making sure, but Star Trek: World Tour is non-canon, right?

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited July 28, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course.

------------------
Pickhard: "What is our progress, Beta?"
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."
-from the Sev Trek movie trailer

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, don't forget to add then that civilians were caught in the battle along with Starfleet officers.

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps