Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Companion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 Companion
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book has apparently been out for a week now, and I have yet to see anybody posting ship-related info that might be gleaned from it. I mean, the TNGComp gave us Wolf 359 ship names and a bit else.

Abybody got it yet?

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea. It hasn't been at the bookstores around here, at least that I've been able to see. (They also don't have Mike Nelson's Mega Movie Cheese, which disappoints me greatly.)

But I am quite eager to get my hands on it. I'll go check again this weekend.

P.S.: Or is that Movie Mega Cheese? I forget.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased a copy during my lunchbreak today. Although I've only casually skimmed through some select pages, so far it looks like there's no ship information at all. It does have some nice concept drawings, though.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concept drawings of what?

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I browsed through the book at a bookstore in San Francisco. The book has no information on ships or classes as the last companion had. Information provided is about the writers, directors, actors and their characters, and the concepts and themes of an episode, an arc, or the series. This book is ideal for people who want to have knowledge on the processes of creating a show, which incidently is the intent of the authors.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me rephrase my earlier comment: There is one section I read that has some very interesting info about the Wolf 359 battle scene at the beginning of "Emissary":

"Robert Legato, then visual effects supervisor for DS9, was instructed to shoot the battle sequence before live-action production had commenced on the pilot. 'It was fun to do because I was allowed to make it up from scratch; there was no backlog of stock footage for it' he says. 'The script said that they were right in the middle of this big fierce, ugly battle, and I had tons of debris in all the shots. Ships that were burning, on fire, flying past the camera. I made sure that all of the debris had the correct names on it, the names of the ships that were mentioned in 'The Best of Both Worlds' (The Starships Tolstoy, Kyushu, Melbourne, and Saratoga were among those described as lost in the battle), so the episodes would tie together. But fate stepped in when the decision was made to shoot the live action as if the ships were *about* to enter into battle with the Borg, rather than joining them in mid-fray. 'I had to go back and take all the extraneous ships out,' he laments. 'It was a heartbreaker, because it was a ton of work and very good-looking stuff-much bigger than anything seen on a TNG show."

So it appears that there might have been Legato-created models of the Tolstoy and perhaps even the Apollo class Gage, since that ship was mentioned in the first draft of the script.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhh and doesn't that mean that SOMEWHERE there is footage of this exquisitly sounding scene!?!

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about The Starfleet Starship Recognition Manual???

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

[This message has been edited by Cammodude (edited August 04, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the DS9 Companion. The Starship Recognition Manual is a LUG book. I think...

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, there is most likely footage of the Gage and the Tolstoy!!!! Probably we should drop Legato a mail... if his e-mail adress is available.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, did the book mention about the scene where the Saratoga explodes? Maybe that has the stock footage of the Tolstoy?

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I believe what Legato meant was that he originally shot one battle scene with all the wrecked ships, but then scrapped that footage for the new footage of the undamaged Saratoga, Melbourne, Yamaguchi, and Bellerophon arriving. Either that, or it was the same footage but with all the wreckage removed and the undamaged ships inserted. Either way, we don't see any wreckage of ships at all in the revised footage, other than that floating saucer when the Saratoga explodes. Even that is too small to get any confirmation as to what ship it came from.

Another problem I just realized is that, most likely, Legato didn't confer with Okuda, Miarecki, or Jein about the design of the original BoBW ship models. Even though Legato made up new ships for the battle (such as the Gage), his design for the Kyushu was probably very different from the New Orleans class we all know and love. Since there was no original Tolstoy, that ship wouldn't have been a problem, though.

However, since this footage was never used, there's really no problem anyway. As for trying to email Legato if it's possible, let's try this time to just have *ONE* person (with the emphasis on the "one") do it.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders... Did Bob Legato single-handedly design and build all those new ships, or what? I assume he used existing Starfleet ship models as much as possible, but it would seem logical for him to have used the regular modelmaking gang for creating the newbuilds. Okuda still did Arts for DS9, so he might know of the DS9 modelmakers.

I agree it's extremely unlikely that Legato would have used the models seen in "BoBW2" to represent the ships listed for "BoBW2" - most of the models would surely have disappeared by the time of shooting "Emissary". So perhaps it's just as well that we did not get to see all of that footage. But designs for the Tolstoy and the Gage would of course be cool, even if they are kitbashes of lower standards than the Miarecki and Jein ships of "BoBW2".

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, you seem to be in contact with Okuda. Can't you ask him if he knows from any designs for the Tolstoy and the Gage?

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Contact" might be exaggeration, but I did mail him about this, yes. I'll tell if I hear anything.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps