Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 Companion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 Companion
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, Okuda says Legato did use the surviving "BoBW" models in filming the "Emissary" battle scenes. Some models had gone missing, but Okuda didn't enumerate which of them (at least the Challenger/Buran is known to have been lost, though). Apparently, there was no big effort to build all-new models: the Excelsior model to be blown up as USS Melbourne was a commercial kit, and the Miranda photographic model was slightly modified into the Saratoga, but that was pretty much it. The other stuff was filmed in whatever state it happened to be - apparently, there was no attempt made to recreate the missing model for the Challenger class, for example.

I've also asked specifically about the presence of the Tolstoy and the Gage, and I'll tell if there are any news.

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do you mean that there were actually three versions of the Melbourne: the Miarecki Nebula study, a plastic model kit Excelsior, and the studio model of the Excelsior seen in "Emissary"?

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old brownie."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he's saying that the Excelsior seen in "Emissary" wasn't a studio model, but one of the zillions of vacuform &/or resin kits available at the time.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. I guess the good old photographic model for the Excelsior from STIII/TNG was used right until the moment the beam began cutting into the ship, at which point a cheap kit was substituted. The same might have been done with some other types of kits, so that we might have seen a Miranda explosion or two, perhaps also a Galaxy, but Okuda didn't mention anything of those specifically. And the reverse, of using a cheapo kit of an intact Kyushu or Springfield before substituting the existing wreck, apparently was not done.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Okuda, can use this 'missing' footage for his "Lost Starships" book.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that makes sense. Upon watching the episode again, I can clearly see that the Melbourne getting blown away isn't as detailed as the shots of the ship moments earlier.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old brownie."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps