Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Deneva class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Deneva class
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a Miranda upside-down. You can definatly make out what looks like nacelles on top.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, TSN! I don't yet know how to post pics on this baord, and I haven't found any instruction page explaining how either. Can someone please point me to where I can find help with this?

Hey, I went from junior member to member with this post. Cool.
------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited August 14, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that same note, I was thinking of the scout ship from "Starship Mine". I forget which way it was flipped for that episode, but it had nacelle-like things that could point up...

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat, Here are the instructions.
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ubbcode.html

The link is at the bottom of the page when you make a post. It's highlighted as UBB Code.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks PopMaze. I accidently tried the UBB codes from Bernd's EZBoard bb, not realizing that different boards have different codes. I know better now

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the ship in question was a reuse of the Merchantman?

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one think our Deneva kicks ass. It is absurd that anyone can pick out the slightest detail from that screen grab. In fact, I remember watching that ep of TNG, and trying to discern details of the ship...it was nothing but a smudge. It is highly unlikely we'll ever see what the Deneva looks like, and, most likely, it *was* some other studio model flipped upside down (otherwise they would have shown it in more detail). As such, I think the ASDB is perfectly in order...granted, I'm biased.... :-)

-Lance

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I'm thinking of "Angel One".

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
It is absurd that anyone can pick out the slightest detail from that screen grab.

That's why I asked if anyone had a *larger* screencap.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing to do now is wait for it to come out on DVD someday... :-)

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm convinced that the ship on the screencap looks exactly like Jason's ASDB version

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it does look like the Merchantman...

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are pros and cons to it being the Merchantman (which I agree probably is the case).

+When we first saw the Merchantman, it was indeed a freighter, piloted by a very small number of human-looking characters, which fits the facts of USS Arcos as well.
+Arcos NCC in the 6000 range would indicate TOS movie era, which is also where we meet the Merchantman.
+(Straw-grasping)The bridge is vaguely Starfleetish - the only place where aliens use such a dome structure is when they are lend-leasing the Merchantman.
+(Straw-grasping, part two) Deneva and Antares are both freighters named after a UFP star, and Antares looks "civilian", too. Other Starfleet ship classes are not named after stars, except for the unseen Rigel class which for all we know could have been another freighter.

-There is no solid evidence yet of Starfleet using ships that are not bright white aerodynamic hi-tech thoroughbreds. At least not unless we accept the Antares class Starfleet ship in the "Redemption" fleet as being the same as SS Xhosa (or alternatively Orta's ship from "Ensign Ro"). Then again, surely Starfleet must operate a sizeable fleet of humble supply ships, which would probably look similar to civilian freighters?
-Even so, the ship lacks recognizable Starfleet equipment like phaser turrets/strips or blue-glowing warp engines.
-The ship is seen in too many alien hands to make the export control authorities of the UFP look competent.

Perhaps the real Deneva class only roughly looks like the Merchantman, but from close up, we could observe the shining white paint finish, the Starfleet streamers and NCC pennants, and the phaser turrets, all of which separate the design from its civilian (and export-cleared) counterpart? Anybody care to draw a "militarized" Merchantman in Starfleet livery? Or a "militarized" SS Xhosa?

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Erm... The Antares was a reuse of the Batris, not the Merchantman.

------------------

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One little question Timo: you identify the Xhosa to be the SS Xhosa, suggesting that the ship is of Federation origin (but not Starfleet). The Xhosa is a Petarian ship in Bajoran service, that doesn't mean that the ship is Federation. Was the SS prefix seen on some computer screen or something, and thus canon?

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

Human Class - Starfleet registry NCC-75715
Launched stardate 8311.23 - Parental Biology Yards
United Federation of Planets

"A dedication motto? What about it?" - Alpha Centauri

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps