Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy-variants update question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy-variants update question
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Galaxy-class variants do we have now?
Here�s my count:

1. Standard Galaxy (USS Enterprise-D)
2. Alternate timeline Galaxy (Riker�s ship)
3. Weapons modified Galaxy (USS Venture, phasers on nacelles)
4. Modified Galaxy (THe one with the black "spine")
5. Modified Galaxy II (The one with active impulse-engines in saucer-section)

(My galaxy-class page: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/misc/galaxy.htm )

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "modified Galaxy II" should be considered more of a setting than a modification. Apparently, Starfleet just found the ship's impulse combat performance lacking. The added-weapons USS Venture might be a one-off experiment, while the dark spines might in turn be something applied to already existing basic ships as well as to newbuilds. Do the dark spines persist to the final episodes or "Tears" close-ups as well?

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, they were only visible in episodes between 'Call to Arms' and 'Sacrifice of Angels' (and not in either of the two mentioned episodes).

------------------
"Godzilla. Accept no expensive imitations."
- Eric Tolle, Usenet.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And not even in the battle scenes! Only just prior in front of starbase 375, where the Fleet was regrouping.
Are these "black-spine" galaxy really persistend? Maybe it was just an odd camera-angle or a shadow.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw two of the black-neck Galaxies...it did in fact appear to be a painted-on design or something.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me the black neck Galaxies are either just a painted on design or just a trick of shadows. I am going for the shadows because I don't think Starfleet would approve for a non standard look to their ships. However it would be neat to see Defiant class ships painted in an array of color schemes!

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These black strips could just as easily be structural reinforcements of some kind.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going for the idea that the black necked Galaxies are distinct variants. I see no reason for these ships alone to have been painted since we've seen no other "custom" paint jobs on other starships, and disruptive paint schemes might fool the human eye but not sensors. Also, after having looked at the picture of the two black necked Galaxies at pIn'a' Sov's site (nice site, BTW!), I don't think that they are shadows. The dark areas are identical in size and shape, despite the fact that one ship is further away and slightly offset laterally, and thus away from whatever could possibly be generating the shadow. What probably happened was that the FX guys used the same CG image twice, but just scaled it for distance.

This still begs the question of "Why?"

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually? Looks like a CGI bleedthrough. Like they modeled a separate battle section & separate saucer, then stuck the 2 together.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, then why is the black panel on both the saucer and the neck? If the CGI guys made separate saucers and neck/secondary hulls, shouldn't the black panel only be on one of the two sections? I can see what you mean about the bleed-through; the curved section does resemble the neck underneath. However, since its on-screen there must be some sort of logical explanation for it within the actual Trek universe.

My favorite explanation is that Star Fleet decided that the separate battle section was a failure for some reason, and locked the saucer to the secondary hull, perhaps for more impulse power, phaser banks, shield generators, etc. The dark area could then be a structural reinforcement, as was previously mentioned, intended to strengthen the former joint between the two. This might not preclude an emergency saucer separation, a la Enterprise-D, but it might preclude a casual separation. It might also explain why we saw whole Galaxies during the Dominion War arc, and not battle sections.

Just a theory.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Galaxy Classes separate during a battle, especially during the Dominion War? It's an emergency procedure only, for worst case scenarios. The saucer section would be somewhat of a sitting duck without warp engines. We saw already what a small group of the Dominion fighters did to a whole Galaxy Class starship. Even with all the defensive and offensive advancements, a Galaxy saucer alone might as well have a target painted on the hull.

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Thanks, constellation of one.

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the explanation of a separation sequence on Galaxy class ships was mentioned back in the series as a battle maneuver getting the saucer away from a battlefield the save the crew's families. It could also serve as a way to create two attacking targets if there was no family on the saucer. And there is always the emergency separation from the stardrive in case of antimatter containment failure.

And all these explantions might also have been explained in the TNG Tech Manual.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a nice simple possibility: when the stored Galaxy hulls were rushed into service during the Dominion war they were finished off with whatever materials were at hand and sometimes this resulted in different hull colouration when compared to the more mainstream earlier ships.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, perhaps the paint job (or the thin ablative surface layer) required some sort of protective coating to dry properly, and this dark coating wore off in flight, leaving the recently launched ships with just a dark shadow over their stern parts in the SB375 scenes of "SoA" and with not even that in the battle scenes of the episode, or in later episodes...

Migth explain the difference in warp effects between TOS and TNG: the surface finish of TOS ships had adhesion problems and tended to peel off, creating colorful contrails (the brightest in TMP where the Enterprise was freshly painted, and fading towards the end of the movie series). TNG ships have more adhesive paint. :-P

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps