Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy-variants update question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy-variants update question
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just assume that hull composition/presence of abladive armor/or paint jobs just differed between two ships - and that they are parts of different ships...

I think the Battle section should have been seen more in the fight scenes - after all its easier to rebuild a battle section instead of a battle section AND a saucer section.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, might explain it! Maybe that's why the Ent-A was decommissioned in ST6.

Ensign: Uh, Admiral....sir we're running out of white paint!
Admiral: What? At least the war with the Klingons is over. Otherwise we had to surrender because we can't paint our ships anymore... and you do know how they're holding together, don't you?
Ensign: Structural integrity fields?
Admiral: ...Guess again...

No, seriously, i think that dark-paint-version could be some kind of reinforced neck, because that's one of the most vulnerable parts of the galaxy-class.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it's ablative armor. According to the TNG:TM, Galaxies have no ablative armor. The dark-necked Galaxies might have received it for the war. But I also like the idea of a structural reinforcement.

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

Human Class - Starfleet registry NCC-75715
Launched stardate 8311.23 - Parental Biology Yards
United Federation of Planets

"A dedication motto? What about it?" - Alpha Centauri

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On reflection, I like the ablative armor idea too, except for one thing: why is it only on the neck? Yes, the neck is a thin, vulnerable area, but aren't the nacelle pylons, too? If I was a Star Fleet engineer tasked with strengthening the Galaxy class, I would have reinforced the entire nacelle/pylon assembly as well as the neck. The pylons are so thin yet so important to a starship's survival that if I was an attacker going after a Galaxy with weakening shields, that would be a logical place to attack. Take out the pylon and the ship is denied a warp escape, not to mention screwing up all of the power transfer conduits, etc.

Of course, it could be that the angle we're viewing the black necked Galaxies precludes us from seeing such measures, if they were installed.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answering your first question, Constellation: my guess is that ablative armor is difficult to produce (or some other reason justifiying the scarse use of it). The Galaxy class is a big ship, with a big surface, so that only the most vulnerable parts are equipped ablative armor. Granted, then it wouldn't be such an effort to also add it to the nacelles+pylons.

------------------

ALPHA CENTAURI

Human Class - Starfleet registry NCC-75715
Launched stardate 8311.23 - Parental Biology Yards
United Federation of Planets

"A dedication motto? What about it?" - Alpha Centauri

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps