Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Challanger (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Challanger
Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking today about the Challanger class vessel and I had this thought:
Why can't there be 2 Challanger Classes?
One could be the one that is based off the Galaxy, and the other could be the one of the original Challanger from ST6.
It might also be possible that one challanger was built for a battle scene in ST6 but never used and when they thought about using it for Best of Both Worlds they desided it looked to old.
John

------------------

Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops that should be Challenger!!!!
sorry!!
John

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly because it would be confusing, and one of the aims of Trek speculation is to decrease the general level of confusion.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had more than one class w/ the same name, there wouldn't be any reason to have class names. The point of them is that you can say a ship is such-and-such class, and someone knows exactly what type of ship it is. Not, "Now, is that the 2270s such-and-such class, or the 2370s such-and-such class?".

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They reuse class names today, don't they? And it wouldn't be confusing to people in the 2370s about which class they are talking about. Airplane names are resued in the Air Force all the time. Even the numbers. It wouldn't much of a stretch at all if you ask me.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US Defense Department reuses names, usually after all the planes of the original type are out of service. Even then they usually add a number. Examples are the Thunderbolt II, Phantom II, Globemaster II, Corsair II, and Avenger II. Most of the originals were of WWII or early-postwar vintage. As far as numbers, the US military changed it's numbering system for planes in the 1960s. The navy's system used to incorporate both the manufacturer and the plane type, whereas the Air Force used a system similar to the present system. The numbers seemed to go back to 1 for all types with the new system.

I think the British don't reuse plane names. Numbers added usually indicate different models of the same plane, like Spitfire XX. US warships are never given the name of another ship still in service. The original has to be renamed, destroyed, sold, scrapped, retired, or something similar. Numbers aren't added to the names, as far as I know.

Of course, George Foreman named all his sons "George Foreman," without numbers even, but you have to admit that would be pretty confusing.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

[This message has been edited by Masao (edited September 04, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find enough kooky real world examples to justify almost any naming scheme, if that's your goal. But generally, we try to keep the kookiness at a minimum. After all, there appears to be no shortage of the stuff.

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is "Why would we need two Challenger classes?" Only one is suggested in the Encyclopedia, and we have not yet any screen evidence.

I could understand if there were a similar question about the infamous Antares(es).

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battle in Star Trek: VI!?!?!?!?!?!?!

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in the Navy names are used over and even class names. One comes to mind: King George V of World War 1 and King George V of World War II. The earlier onehad I think 10 13" guns and the newer version had the 10 14". These two classes were seperately built ina time frame of 20 years. So thge later is not a improvement over the other.

For the US Navy the first South Dakota class was supposed to be built during the 1920's and to be the ultimate battleship. However due to the Washington treaty, it was scraped. But the used the name again for the "Treaty" battleships of 35,000 tons. Ultimaely this class was the best "Treaty" battleship.

Yes it is possible to have two different Challengers but just in different times that's all.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like the SD-class better than the Iowa, for various reasons.
Do you know any good sites, except "Warships Of The World"?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the first place, Akula, there is zero evidence that the Challenger from the Operation:Retrieve chart was of a seperate class. Just speculation.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: Battle in Star Trek: VI!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Akula, do you mean the battle between Chang's BoP and the Enterprise near the end of the movie? If I recall correctly, the Excelsior came to help. Why would some other ship come in out of the blue to help as well? Furthermore, why would the modelmakers waste time and money building a brand new model just to have it shown for about five seconds?

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Challenger was built for ST6. It was just a name tossed onto a chart as filler.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhh Operation: Retrieve!?!

Does anyone have a picture of that chart!?!

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps