Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg Ships (Some Voy. premier $$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Borg Ships (Some Voy. premier $$)
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the rouge Borg vessel:

I don't think it's a class of Borg ship, but instead formly the Cube that rescued Hugh. Once Hugh's individuality infected the rest of the drones on that Cube it was chaos. Since a Cube is run completely by the collective mind of the Borg onboard it's shape was distorted reflected the state of mind the Borg were in.

The design of the rouge vessel was transferred to the rest of the collective no doubt which is how it would be on an Okudagram in another Cube.

Well that's just my theory at least.

------------------
Calvin: "Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wouldn't explain why the ship looked so clean and smooth, (If it was the product of chaotic randomness, the surface should have been torn and chaotic too, no?) or why such a nondesign would be adopted as a mine, or mine delivery system.

I think the more interesting question is, assuming that the ship was indeed designed by the Borg to fight and, perhaps, to blow things up really nicely, what was it doing in the Alpha Quadrant to begin with? One suspects things might have been very nasty for the UFP if Hugh hadn't spoiled their plans.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too, think that the Rogue Borg Ship was supposed to depict that these Borg were not 'ordered' like the rest of them... The ship would be smooth-ish... it wasn't entirely smooth - since it still has to meet some ??certain borg?? ship specifications...

Maybe the borg that got chopped off from the collective could only remember how to build a specific design... or maybe that this ship was originally a cube - but as per the 'ship self repair' as seen in "Q Who" it wasn't repaired to a cube shape but a whole lot of borg doing different things at once created that monstrosity...

OR maybe the design is another shape used by the collective for different purposes... the Decent Ship was very large, so it might have had a different use to the 'warhead' ship we saw an Okudagram of in "Scorpion"

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiously, the ship that rescued Hugh was a rather small cube-shaped vessel, at least per Data's description (didn't he say it was similar in mass to Hugh's original scoutship?). I wonder how this small cube could have been used to construct the relatively large complexly shaped vessel...

Given how Borg vessels in general tend to be cluttered on the outside, a smooth exterior would indeed seem like the work of a deranged mind. Perhaps the Borg in "Scorpion" were studying the design simply because it was one of the rare glimpses to unconventional thinking that the Collective had ever enjoyed, and unconventional thinking was necessary for saving them from the 8472.

The recent "Tactical cube" also has a rather smooth exterior. Given its wimpy weaponry (it fared even worse against the Voyager than the usual spheres!), I wonder if "Tactical" is supposed to be interpreted as "weaker than the usual Strategic"?

Timo Saloniemi

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, do you know what would be nice? A simple little comparison of all the Borg ships for reference....You know, side profiles (can you say side with those ships?) all compared to each other with relative lengths....does anyone have something like that?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of the first part of Unimatrix Zero, I was under the impression that the Borg were intentionally holding back in order to lure Janeway and company onboard.

I'm not sure that idea holds up after seeing the second half, though. In fact, I'm rather sure it doesn't.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well seeing as the "Hugh scoutship" only seemed to have about 5 drones... the ship the came to 'save' the downed vessel was probably not much bigger. I guess they went back to a 'mothership' and thus infected the rest of the crew from then on.

Not having scene UM0 1 and 2... this is just pure speculation... but maybe Unimatrix Zero was a result of Hugh's individuality being inflicted on the collective?? Before the 'Descent' Borg were chopped off from the rest of the collective.

Andrew

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I would prefer if, in case this UMZ thing eventually does shatter the entire Collective, it wasn't the result of something done by us puny humans. The Borg used to be big. To have them dismantled because one Drone had the hots for Geordi LaForge seems a bit too demeaning.

The UMZ could instead be something arising from the very structure and history of the Collective itself. The Borg being their own undoing would be much "grander" than them falling because of human influence...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Can anyone give me some dimensions for these borg ships plus the length of the Voyager, The Enterprise-D, and DS9... for comparison.

Andrew

------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borg Cube: 28 ^ 0.33333333 gives you its L, W, and H in kilometers.

Voyager: length approximently 310 meters.

Enterprise-D: length 614 meters.

Deep Space 9: no clue. Probably a few kilometers in diameter.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

[This message has been edited by The_Evil_Lord (edited October 11, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you get those aweful lengths?

These are the official lengths:
Voyager: 344.4m
Ent-D: 641 or 642m, depending on source.
DS9: 1 mile in diameter, I believe.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. *And*, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!

- Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And nobody ask about the Defiant.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unimatrix 0 has apparently been around for at least twenty years or so, seeing as Seven was in it for eighteen. I would have to guess it's been around quite a bit longer than that, even.

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Borg Cube: 28 ^ 0.33333333 gives you its L, W, and H in kilometers.

Wuh??

I don't get that measurement...

anyone got the side length for the different borg ships and I guess the diameter of the borg sphere...

------------------

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited October 11, 2000).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon, there must be someone other than me who has the lengths memorized by now....here goes...

1) TNG cube: about 2km on a side (VFX)
2) VOY cube from "Dark Frontier": 28 cubic kilometers in volume (dialogue), which works out to just over 3km on a side.
3) FC cube: 2 miles or 3.2km on a side according to Cinefex magazine.

Furthermore, the latest issue of ST Magazine contains an article on Voyager VFX in which one of the production crew quotes the size of a Voyager cube (specifically the one where the Delta Flyer gets trapped with Kim inside, don't remember the name of the episode) as 5km on a side. This reaffirms an online post by Rick Sternbach in which he described how he gave the writers rough crew sizes for 5,10, and 15 (!) km cubes. So apparently, these are the "official" sizes in use.

I don't believe that we've ever seen 10 or 15km cubes - Rick says he based these numbers on some TNG VFX shots, but such a size would've been clearly impossible for the TNG cube.

Now, my questions are

1) whether or not we should treat the 3 and 5km Voyager cubes as the same one - I'm not sure if the various Voyager cube models are any different (leaving out the armored tactical cube).

2) whether a typical Voyager cube is any different from the FC cube?

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 11, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps