Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg Ships (Some Voy. premier $$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Borg Ships (Some Voy. premier $$)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Sternbach has said (like, three or four years ago... it was around the time of Scorpion IIRC) that cubes (and presumably other designs) grow as they assimilate more shit. So the Borg might cut them loose from some sort of growth platform when they're say a kilometer and a half a-side, and they can grow up to say 5 clicks a side. Then they get trimmed back down, and the trimmings are recycled into a whole pile of daughter cubes. Sorta like cell mitosis... once they reach a certain size there stops being advantages to being so big and so the collective is better served with 27 smaller cubes rather than one huge honking one.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about four or twelve cubes interlocking, making for JumboCube�!

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: He was saying that the cube is 28 cubic kilometers, so take the cube root of that (raise it to the one-third power) to find the length of an edge.

Anyway, in general, I would say there is no uniformity to Borg ship sizes. Probably every one is different...

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

Dennistn
Member # 386

- posted      Profile for Dennistn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm new here so take this with a grain of salt.

How about another possibility for the ship in Descent.
What if it is a ship from a race recently assimilated by the Borg? This would explain the unusual design of the ship, and why we do not see anything like it in other episodes. When using this approach it would have been the "last assignment" of the cube before Hugh infected it. As to what happened to that cube I suspect it would follow the same pattern seen in other disabled and unrepairable cubes in Star Trek.

------------------
IDIC

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the idea that the odd-shaped "Descent" ship might be an assimilated ship before. It would explain its asymmetrical shape, and is in my opinion the most plausible idea around.

BTW, the 28 sq km dimension implies a size of 3.030 km, to be precise.

------------------
"And as we all know, a mesolytic quantumvector resonator is commonly
used to polarize isogravitic plasma-flux manifolds."

Starfleet Academy's Redshirt Guide to the Starfleet, 62nd edition,

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would indeed be plausible, and perhaps preferable, had it not been for the design showing up again as a Borg vessel.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps