Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Pegasus "class" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Pegasus "class"
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Oberth model was used to represent this ship in "The Pegasus" because of budget considerations, but it was originally supposed to be a newer design. I remember Rick Sternbach saying that it was supposed to be something like a four-nacelled variant of an Ambassador-era starship, but does anyone else have any other information, like if RS ever said something about it in a newsgroup?

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that the Pegasus was intended to be a Cheyenne-class-vessel.

[ March 17, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's even an Okudagram in the episode that may be a holdover from the original four-nacelle idea. It shows the usual symbolism for nacelles, but there are four, rather than two. Of course, this could just be two different aspects of each nacelle, say top and bottom halves of the coils or something, but it seems almost likely that it was originally drawn to match the quad-naceller.

------------------
"Count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five."
-They Might Be Giants, "Certain People I Could Name"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe there is an Okudagram in the episode of a four-nacelled ship. If it's a Cheyenne, I don't remember, but I do recall someone on the art staff mentioning it was originally going to be a Cheyenne.

You wanna stop posting when I am, TSN?

------------------
"...Well, we're about to witness All-in Wrestling, brought to you tonight, ladies and gentlemen, by the makers of Scum�, the world's first combined hair oil, foot ointment, and salad dressing; and by the makers of Titan�, the novelty nuclear missile. You never know when it'll go off! - Monty Python, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited October 16, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would also make sense to use a Cheyenne because a model was already built for "The Best of Both Worlds."

------------------
Calvin: "Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://frankg.dgne.com/utopics/pegasus.jpg

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Gardening for Dummies is too intense." - Rick

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Pegasus (like the Crazy Horse) was supposed to be a Cheyenne, and they even designed the Pegasus set to reflect that idea. This leaves us with the conclusion that the Cheyenne class is a testbed for the Galaxy Class.

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Budget Considerations forced the producers to use a Oberth-Class model. Mention was also made that if the Cheyenne class model was used, then we would have seen more of the Cheyenne class in Star Trek.

Just think of a couple of Cheyenne ships duking it out with Dominion ships on DS9. Or a Cheyenne class making potshots on the Borg cube in First Contact.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem, IIRC, is that the Cheyenne model was a literal kitbash. Therefore, it didn't have the level of detail necessary for photgraphing, nor was it equipped to be lighted. They'd have had to build a new, large, lighted model to put it in a prominent position on screen, and it was simpler (and cheaper) to just grab the Oberth.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I believe the Cheyenne class was considered because it was almost good enough for prime time. At least, presumably good enough that they originally thought there wouldn't be too much work involved in sprucing it up.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I would have liked the idea of seeing more Cheyennes, the Pegasus was clearly seen to be an Oberth, wasn't it? I mean, explaining the 4-nacelled-Okudagramm on an Oberth engineering screen will be much easier than explaining the Oberth saucer rising from within the asteroid if the Pegasus is supposed to be a Cheyenne...

My point is: let's rather speculate WTF those 4 nacelles could symbolize. Maybe it has something to do with the cloaking device?

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a variant of the standard Oberth, souped up test bed for various technologies.....
Federation Cloaking Device
Warp 10 Vessel
Transwarp and Warp nacelles
and the such....

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Like I said, it may not have actually represented four nacelles, but rather just two aspects of each nacelle. I believe the example I suggested was that it could be the upper and lower halves of each set of coils.

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but on the other hand there is a small history of "wrong" okudagrams in episodes. The one that comes to mind is the "faulty" nebula-class okudagram for the USS Sutherland in the episode where Data was captain. I�m thinking that the nacelles where supposed to represent the Cheyenne-class, but the staff just forgot to replace the 'gram.

BTW, Frank, got any bigger version of that pic? You really can�t see all that much.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also tend to think it represents only 2 nacelles. Maybe the Pegasus had 2 plasma injectors in each nacelle...
After all we don't know anything about a "normal" Oberth's warp drive system either. The nacelles look kinda strange to me.

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps