Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Pegasus "class" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Pegasus "class"
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with that Okudagram, the nacelles are long and thin like a Cheyennes...

Also what I don't understand is that if there were bugetry considerations... why did they build a new Oberth model for "The Pegasus".

They did... they really did - its more detailed.

(Maybe it was only a part model/part rock thingy)

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

pod99
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working mostly from memory...

We only saw the ship in the rock, so we don't really know what all the ship is like so it may in fact be neither Orbeth or Cheyenne. The class may quite well be based on the Orbeth but in has extra warp drives and / or other minor modifications.

IP: Logged
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Andrew, the nacelles sure aren�t like the standard oberth-nacelles.
Yeah, we don�t get to see much of the ship except the saucer, but I still think it�s unlikely that it�s been modified to such an extent. The Pegasus was an apparently unauthorized experimental ship. To do drastic modifications tends to attract attention. It is much more likely that it is a standard Oberth-class vessel on the outside of the starship. So the okudagram is just an omission, IMHO.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that the phase-shift effect that the cloaking device employed would affect the warp systems in some way (or that they needed to be used in a different configuration) so the okudagram indicates the two states of the warp fields. Just an idea...

------------------
"I�d say we have about three hours before we get a call from mister brain-bomb." - VIDROS

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Cloaking/Phase-Shift Device required exotic materials that could have been a problem, attracting attention, unless it was from a tech testbed ship, that often had requirements for the odd and rare.

Then again, maybe they got what they needed from the blackmarket.

******Yep, nothing like phasing your fecal matter away....*****
------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited October 25, 2000).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been well-documented that the Pegasus was an (almost certainly unmodified) reuse of the blown-to-shit Oberth model used for the Vico

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew et pIn'a: That's just a standard symbol for a nacelle. The size and shape don't match anything. After all, even the Cheyenne's nacelles aren't straight w/ a bit of rounding at the ends like that.

Ritten: Erm... You might want to re-read what you posted. I think you made an unfortunate typo... *LOL*

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Now we know how waste-extraction works... Phase-shit devices!

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Pegasus can't have been a reuse of the "blown-to-shift" Vico, since the Vico model was missing huge chunks of the forward parts of her saucer and ventral pod. The Pegasus has an intact bow sticking out of solid rock.

I'll dig out my old Chinefantastique issue, but I seem to remember that the Pegasus model was built to scale with the four-footer E-D model used for the filming of the cave scenes. It would have to be a custom model, then, since I believe the Grissom model was bigger.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I'm sure that it was a newly built model... it seems to have more detail and its a bit more 'blue' on the top compared to the old Oberth model.

Maybe that Star Trek Mechanics book mentions this fact!?!

Andrew

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if they made an all-new Oberth model for this episode, which apparently COSTED something to build, then why didn't they just built the Cheyenne???

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was cheaper to build an Oberth model than a new Cheyenne model.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mybe they used an oberth insted of an cheyenne because the ship would be sticking out of the rock. The oberth looks like no other ships, but the cheyenne might be mistaken for a galaxy class due to the fact that the cheyenne was designed around the dorsal section of the galaxy class primary hull. and because of this a new modle was needed so we get a new oberth modle( or at least the bow of an oberth)

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps