Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Carolina (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Carolina
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post contains spoilers for the VGR ep "Inside Man"
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Pity they didn't show the Carolina. We don't know much about it, otherwise. Captain's name is Peterson (?) and it wasn't equipped to close a geodesic fold, our new Treknology-of-the-week.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me, I don't watch "Voyager" ...

What is the "Carolina"? Obviously a starship ... Starfleet? Whats it doing with Voyager?

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much. It was just mentioned a couple of times.

------------------
"Don't hide your tears. They were sent to wash away those years."--Creed

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

REDESIGNED!!!!!! Avalon Sector

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least there is another Carolina. Hopefully it doesn't cause as much of a hassle as the original...

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone refresh my memory about the original?

BTW, at least they showed a Ferengi Marauder instead of the usual little pod ship.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original USS Carolina was from TOS's "Friday's Child", and is said to be a Daedalus class in the Encyclopedia, but can't be because Daedalus class was retired in 2196, so we don't know what class Carolina is now.

Then the Encyclopedia II came out, and the entires had always said her registry number was NCC-160, but then a picture in the Encyclopedia said it's registry was NCC-235! Painted on a Daedalus class ship, BTW. So, the Carolina has really been botched up a bunch over Trek history.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, with all that, maybe it was a good idea that they DIDN'T show it...

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it could have been an Olympic...with a NCC-235 registry...

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm delighted to hear that the Ferengi Marauder is back in action. Any idea if this was stock footage, new shots of the original model, new model, or perhpas CGI?

BTW, has Barclay been promoted yet?

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...he's still a mere LT. Methinks that all his stunts have cancelled out any good that have come from them.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, it could have been an Olympic...with a NCC-235 registry...

With a NCC-235 registry, I would say, it cannot be an Olympic. The Olympic-class is a 24th century design in the range of NCC-5xxxx.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As stated above:

USS Carolina NCC-160
Daedalus-class. Used by the Klingons in a hoax to prevent the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from returning to Capella IV.

The Daedalus was retired in 2196 so what's this ship doing in the 23rd century? My theory is that it wasn't. There was no Carolina, the Klingons made it up. My guess is they had very old intelligence on Starfleet and didn't know that the class was retired. I doubt that Scotty would automatically know off the top of his head that the Carolina was a retired class unless he looked it up in the ship's computer.

About the other NCC-235 registry. I think this was just a simple mistake. Much like the USS Yeager NCC-81947 registry of the Saber-class diagram.

As for the Carolina mentioned in Voyager, it's obviously a different class. It's not like Starfleet reusing names is unheard of.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited November 09, 2000).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My remembrance of Friday's Child is that the U.S.S. Carolina is an active duty starship on neutral zone patrol in 2267. I will review the episode and give a definitive answer later.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marauder was CGI. Finally.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they finally CGI the d'kora
did they finally do the Ambassador
what else do they need to cgi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps