Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bussard Collectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bussard Collectors
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You- take me to the Bussard collectors"

Yes, just a question about Bussard Collectors. Do they HAVE to be on the front of nacelles?? couldn't you like stick them on the front of the ship or behind the bridge or... anywhere really!?! Is there any reason why they are where they are?

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that since they channel the energy collected THROUGH the nacelle, its simply the most effective place for them.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Channel the Energy? wha? Don't they just collect interstellar hydrogen and store it for M/AM reactions?

------------------

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bussard collectors generate a powerful electromagnetic field. Maybe it would interfere somehow with the warp field if not aligned in the same axis with the warp field coils.

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

No no! The field coils directly behind the Bussard collectors generate that field... and I'm not talking about the warp coils that are inside the actual nacelle, I talking about the gold-y coloured vertical grill on say, the E-D right behind the Bussard nose-cone...

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should be able to be placed anywhere, although a couple of red tits placed on the saucer would look funny.
Maybe as a leading edge for the secondary hull would work.
The alignment shouldn't be an issue, just an engineering problem.
The use of power might be though. Can they run the BCs off it's source, or does it need some of it's own power and a bit of power from the coils, feeding off the coils as the warp factor increases?

------------------
I see a red door and I want it painted black

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, that "gold-y colored grill" isn't the collectors. That is, as I remember, some form of warp stress abeyance grill designed to help redirect field energy to form the forward lobe & to reduce stress on the nacelles.

Now if only I can remember where I read that.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that yellow grill is actually something useful I don't know. (Yes I know they wouldn't put something useless on a ship to take up room) It's not on the Excelsior class, Sovereign class, Nova class, or the Pormetheus class. The Bassard collectors Maybe be part of the entire Warp field thingy. Remember, the Pheonix in First Contact had one and I do not think Cochrane would put soemthing like that on just so he start a gas collection from space.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nova has them.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone knows that buzzard collectors are for catching those pesky vultures

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Steamrunner class has the BC's on the sauser section. They are directly forward of the points where the nacelles atach to the ship.

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sausage section? The saucy section? The Soze section?

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 17, 2000).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
test

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(This is from TNGTM + a bit of IIRC)

The Bussard collectors collect hydrogen, supposedly to store emergency hydrogen (and/or deuterium) rations.
One of the possible reasons for the particular placement is the fact that the scoops need to penetrate the navdef (and maybe warp-) fields.

It also seems that Bussard ramscoops are not necessary for propulsion. Cheyennes, Excelsiors, Const II nacelles (not sure about this. There are rumours of red-coloured tips in DS9), Defiants and Centaur didn't have clear 'Buzzard ramscoops'.

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheyenne nacelles have red things on the front, presumably Bussard collectors.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps