Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bussard Collectors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bussard Collectors
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defiant also clearly has bussard collectors

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excelsior II has blue buzzards...

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of buzzards near my grandad's farm.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that kinda like having blue balls???

------------------
**...****...**

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue balls suck!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, blue balls?

Is this another name for testicular constriction??

blue balls?

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freezing..

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bussard ramscoops are, as someone correctly stated, used to collect minute amounts of hydrogen for emergency use in the warp and/or impulse system (I assume). From the description given in the Next Generation Technical Manual, although I've learned not to trust that about some things, it appears that the ramscoops work in close concert with the warp fields and the navigational deflector, both of which help to "channel" the hydrogen ions into the actual collection apparatus. The hydrogen is not generally channeled through the nacelles, however the DS9 Tech Manual seems to hint that at least some of it is, using a new and "experimental" accelerator coil in the aft endcap of the Defiant's nacelles. Usually, the collected material is directly processed and sihponed off into the vessel's deuterium slush tanks. In anycase, it seems that the most logical place to put them is on the fwd endcap of the nacelle. It might be placed on the fwd portion of the primary or secondary hull, (like Voyager's auxiliary deflector dish), but that position probably covers less open area than it's accepted place on the nacelles. Also, the Enterprise-A, -B, Reliant, Oberth, etc. may have Bussard ramscoops as well. I remember reading some of the non-canon sources as saying these vessels had "matter acquisition sinks" in the forward portion of the nacelle. It might just be another name for the ramscoops. After all, isn't the "matter/antimatter integrator" of the original E the same as the "main energizers", "intermix shaft" and "warp core" of later Enterprises?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TMP Enterprise-nil indeed had "matter sinks", because Shane Johnson (and possibly Andy Probert himself) wanted to honor the earlier labeling of the TOS ship in the original Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph.

However, FJ apparently wanted to depict the nacelles as some sort of huge "through-flow" jet engines. Not only are the front hemispheres labeled "space/matter sink/acquisition", but the aft hemispheres are correspondingly labeled something like "space/matter source".

This doesn't sound very convincing, since the aft hemispheres were not present in all the versions of the TOS ship. It's unknown if Matt Jeffries thought of the engines as having two "poles" or if FJ invented this himself, but later generations have moved away from that idea and have invented another interpretation to the wording "space/matter sink/acquisition". They (and I) think that this is simply older wording for ramscoops.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or..less "older wording" than a resurgence of BureaucratiSpeak that was thankfully killed off as a fad sometime in the 2290s. They called them ramscoops before, then thought of a neater-sounding name, but by the turn of the century, hey said, "Fuck it...use 'ramscoops' again."

This is akin to a serving lady in a cafeteria being redubbed a "sustenance provision engineer"...& people with common sense saying, "Look, she's just a damn lunch lady..."

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps