Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Phoenix's Dedication plaque (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Phoenix's Dedication plaque
Face
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek Encyclopedia said the the USS Phoenix motto is "There will be an answer, let it be." in the book Star Trek: TNG The Continuing Mission show the motto "No matter where you go, there you are." which one is the right one?

------------------

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought, "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are" was EXCELSIOR's plaque?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there was more than one ship names Phoenix... Captain Maxwell's ship from "The Wounded" was named the Phoenix. Which brings up an important point. All the Enterprise ships had the motto of "To boldy go..." Shouldn't the Phoenix have what the first phoenix had. Shouldn't the Defiant have what the TOS Defiant had. Or the reuse of the Prometheus. And Why doesn't the defiant have "The 2nd ship" (or possibly many more) to bear the name "Defiant"?

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe if it has a different registry, its not considered the same name? Sounds stupid, I know, but ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just that the Enterprise is very special...

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The timeship Wells is very special too...

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is so wierd...
Watched Mad Max: Beyond The Thunderdrome last night, and the guy that was in 'Flying Doctors' said that EXACT quote

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are" !!

And now I hear it here!

*head starts spinning and then eyes explode*

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy.

It's a quote from Buckaroo Bonzai, I think. Okuda is a big fan of the show.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Movie, actually. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the Eighth Dimension. It might have been an okay film if not for the incredible lack of an understandable plot... *L*

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) There has only been 1 Starfleet ship named Phoenix, so she can't copy the quote from the first Phoenix, since she is the first (that we know of)

2) TOS Defiant didn't have a plaque at all I don't think, and at that, TOS plaques didn't have quotes.

3) We never actually know what the quote on the original Prometheus is. Wish we could find out what it looks like though

4) They put "First Ship Of Her Class" instead of "Second To Bear The Name" on the Defiant because they figured it was more important.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that there is a dedication plaque for the Nebula Class USS Prometheus somewhere.

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nebbie Prommie's plaque was in Maxwell's ready room...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sure that there is a dedication plaque for the Nebula Class USS Prometheus somewhere.

Yes, the Prometheus had it on the backwall of the bridge:
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/prometheusdp.jpg

quote:
The Nebbie Prommie's plaque was in Maxwell's ready room...

No, the Phoenix' plaque was in Maxwell's ready room.

Interesting that the Sutherland had the same quote as the Phoenix.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the "All I ask is a tall ship" text and the "Second star to the right" text are also shared by several ships, just because they are so catchy. There's nothing to say the quotes should be unique to the ships. Perhaps they are unique to the construction yards or something? (Did the Sutherland and the Phoenix share the official birthplace?)

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that pic of the Sutherland's plaque is from the Encyclopedia which has been known to be wrong at times. I don't think we ever saw the Sutherland's plaque on screen did we?

I do think that all the quotes are unique to each ship. I think that's why they are done. Gives the ship a bit of character.

One of the few times I disagree with Timo.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps