Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Phoenix's Dedication plaque (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Phoenix's Dedication plaque
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did the Sutherland and the Phoenix share the official birthplace?

Unknown. The Encyclopedia only gives the quote of the Phoenix.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops... sorry... both from Greek Mythology, both involving fire, both starting with the letter 'p' etc. heh.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships' Mottoes, as shown on their dedication plaques, as listed in the Encyclopedia:

USS Enterprise, "...to boldly go where no one has gone before."
-and-
USS Enterprise, "...to boldly go where no man has gone before."

USS Defiant, "All Iask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." - John Masefield

USS Excelsior, "No matter where you go, there you are."

USS Sutherland, "There will be an answer, let it be..."

USS Voyager, "For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..." - Alfred Tennyson

USS Prometheus, "All the World's a stage, all the men and women merely players, they have their exits and their entrances and one man in his life plays many parts, his act being (illegable - seven?) stages..." -William Shakespeare

If the Phoenix, also, used "There will be an answer, let it be", then perhaps the Sutherland's plaque was just a redress of the Phoenix's.
------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

[This message has been edited by spyone (edited December 06, 2000).]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proper quote from As You Like It, act 2, scene 7 should be:

All the world's a stage, / And all the men and women merely players. / They have their exits and their entrances, / And one man in his time plays many parts, / His acts being seven ages.

Whether or not the plaque quoted it correctly, I don't know. But that's how it should be.

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say I do LOVE the Voyager motto. When I first read it a long while back... I just gasped... its so apt for Trek.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad Voyager itself is NOT apt for Trek ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well, that's a bit harsh... Voyager does have some quintisentially brilliant 'Trek' episodes... its First season was a very strong one... I mean look at the quality of

"Caretaker", "Time and Again", "Eye of the Needle" "Phage", "Jetrel", "Emanations", "Projections" , "Faces" and most DEFINATELY "Prime Factors". I was going to leave it there but then what about "Heroes and Demons" GREAT STUFF! ooh ooh and "State of Flux"!

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps