Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Two quick Miranda questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Two quick Miranda questions
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any Miranda/Avenger class vessel ever been seen to fire its rollbar phasers apart from the USS Reliant in ST II?

And, has any rollbar-less Miranda ever fired photon torps? I think the Saratoga's captain ordered them fired but we never saw where on the hull they were fired from, is this right?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were fired from the side thingies on the Saratoga, IIRC.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No they weren't. They were fired from the lower 'dome' in the middle of the saucer.

'Sacrifice of Angels' showed us forward phaser fire from one of the saucer phaser nodes. Look HERE for a picture of that.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 05, 2001).]

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They fired torps from the lower sensor dome? I was afraid that it might be something like that.

But no sightings of phaser fire from the rollbar phasers other than in ST II?

Any other cases of Mirandas firing torps or phasers from odd places?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saratoga's captain ordered his ship to "load torpedo bays", but none were fired. I'm guessing that the sensor doodads on the sides also contained tubes.

And no, no other Miranda has ever used the rollbar phaser emitters.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

My reasons for asking were due to a debate I've been having with Steve Long over on the forums at trekrpg.net.

I'm attempting to design a more accurate Miranda using Steve's Spacedock rules for the LUG RPG. The rollbar phasers are a pain - are they normal phasers or are they 'mega-phasers'. But then I realised that they had never been fired after ST II. So I got to wondering if, with the improvements on torpedo technology in the 24th century they're no longer needed and that those pods on the corners of the rollbars contain sensors (moved out of the main pod to make room for newer torpedo systems) instead of phasers.

The Saratoga I was planning to ignore for the moment. Steve has the bits sticking out the sides as pulse phasers and has torp tubes on the saucer in all versions of the ship. :P

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go by what I've always said - that the phasers in STII were basically normal, they were just easier to use - be it recharge time in exchange for higher power output, or whatever - fired in pulses. After all, between then and the start of TNG - ie, for the rest of the TOS movies - we never saw a lot of phaser fire, it was all torpedoes; maybe ALL phasers were like that until the strips were invented.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair,

I think the image you referenced is of the Majestic being hit by a Dominion energy beam, not of her firing. However, you're right that DS9 Mirandas have tended to fire from their sensor domes. Sisko's Saratoga did that in Emissary, I believe. There is a brief clip of her from behind firing from her dome. I just checked it on my ST CD Encyclopedia.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They were fired from the lower 'dome' in the middle of the saucer."

Are you sure? I can check the tape later, I suppose...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility is that the reason why the those "megaphasers" never fired was becuase they were obsolete by the time of the Dominion War. I think the ship had to manuever itself to fire those phasers. Also there probably just easier to fire from the ball phasers. About the Saratoga, I am guessing that she was different and had maybe her "mgeaphasers" on the sensor dome instead.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saratoga's phaser fire was a VFX error, plain and simple.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is what you're looking for:
http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/mir46.jpg http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/mir48.jpg

PLUS this little error from "Darmok" [TNG] http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/g97.jpg

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited January 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited January 06, 2001).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaarrggh! Don't tell me that's a phaser coming OUT of the Ent-D!

------------------
"Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network"
-And no-one even noticed the typo...
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my... Uhm... I made a big mistake. Sorry!

I meant that phasers were fired from the lower dome.

Of course we saw torpedos being fired from the rollbar in the second movie, and I believe also in 'First Contact'.

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Oh, and the Majestic is firing, just watch the tape again.

Or check here:
http://www.shiporama.org/battle.htm
and then here:
http://www.shiporama.org/battle1.htm
for the events in the right sequence.

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 06, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps