Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy class family ship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy class family ship
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any other classes of ships in Starfleet similar to the Galaxy class that have families onboard but are made for exploring?

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Nebulas?

Freedoms, Niagaras, and Challengers might be too (unless you consider those "Ambassador-style" designs.)

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means are there any other ships that carry families like the Enterprise D did, not are there other ships in the Galaxy Class Design Family.

Sisko had family aboard the Miranda Class Saratoga (which didn't make alot of sense). One could argue that they were there visiting or something.

Thomas Riker mentioned that he would be eligable to bring family aboard the Ambassador Class Ghandi.

I'd say that Nebbies probably have enough room to carry families as well, but that practice seems to have fallen out of favor with Starfleet. In fact, since the war started, I doubt any civilian family members live aboard Federation Starships.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that most ships could carry families, but the only reason the Galaxy-Class is made such a big deal of is because it was designed not just to carry families, but really to act as sort of a "big-city" kinda enviornment type-thingy, you know? Not just a bunch of apartments, but the whole "suburbian" kind of deal ... it was mentioned that this would be due to the "extended" missions the ship would be going on.

Anyway.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to show off, I'd like to rattle off a couple of potentially relevant details.

The Saratoga not only had Sisko's wife and kid aboard, but also other civilian-clad individuals including the crying woman who didn't know Jennifer's whereabouts.

Pike's Enterprise had some civilian-clad youngsters aboard as well. Hitchhikers, colonists, or family members? Officers on leave always wore uniforms... Even on uninhabited planets.

Picard was uncomfortable with a ship full of kids, and asked Riker for help. Did the Hood perhaps have kids aboard, to justify Picard's faith in Riker's abilities in this respect?

Starfleet officers seem to take their kids and spouses to assignments if those are aboard space stations or outposts (Sisko and Laforge families as examples). Why would starships be different from space stations? We have seen many an outpost come to harm, so it shouldn't be an issue of safety. Is it accommodation standards? Any starship would seem better equipped than the initial DS9.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd imagine just about any starship on a low risk mission could support civilians. Now, whether you'd want to live on a Miranda if you didn't have to is another question.

But then, we don't really know what the Saratoga was doing before recieving her call to arms. Perhaps the ship had been making the Earth-Vulcan-Wolf 359 supply run and Sisko saw it as a good chance to spend some quality time with his family.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo makes some good points as usual. It does seem as though Starfleet has been allowing the officers' kids and civilian spouces to tag along with them for some time (as mentioned, at least since the TNG officers were kids). It's probably a seniority issue as well as a space issue. For example, the senior officers probably qualify to bring family with them as soon as they transfer, while Bob, the first year crewman probably has to serve for a while and, then, if there is room aboard the ship, he can request sanction to bring his family aboard. Stations would have more room, so they can probably qualify faster.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Senioryt does seem to play a role within Starfleet that's missing within the Federation as a whole. One example is junior officers sharing quarters, as seen in "Lower Decks" and "Good Shepherd" - In both instances, there would be enough room for everyone to have their own quarters (assuming, in the latter case, that Voyager's secret crew-replacement cloning lab doesn't really exist). No doubt the official reason is something about building teamwork, etc.

(just occurred to me - the people in "Good Shepherd" were crewmen. Whatever)

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have assumed that Voyager's crews sharing quarters might have something to do with their attempts to conserve power.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships that can carry families:-

Galaxy
Excelsior
Ambassordor
Nebula

Ship that can't carry families:-

Defiant
Nova
Prometheus
Constellation
Soveriegn

Ships that carry a LIMITED number of families

Intrepid
Akira
Miranda
Souyz

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

If the Excelsior Class is big enough to carry families, so is the Sovereign.

As I said, though, I doubt that the practice of carrying civilians aboard starships was continued during the Dominion War.

I believe that Sisko stated that the Defiant would have "no families" aboard implying two things: A) None of the Defiant Class ships are big enough to carry families and B) that was the exception to the rule at that point.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Soyuz-Class was out of date well before the end of the TOS Movie Run (IIRC), so I doubt they would've carried families, honestly ...

The Intrepid-Class? I gathered the mission profile was one of high danger, mostly skirting the badlands and things of that nature. I suppose as they commissioned more ships, that might have occured, but honestly, the only reason you've got to put that there is because VOY has kids aboard ... of course, have you EVER seen a classroom on VOY?

I'd agree with you on the DEFIANT & PROMETHEUS -- no excuses, these are warships. Pure and simple -- fight fight fight, there's barely enough room for a transporter room.

I don't know if I agree with the SOVEREIGN. Although we've never seen the E-E with families aboard, both FC and I have been during times of crisis in the Federation, times when ALL families may have been removed from starships, so there's no proof in that.

I think the EXCELSIOR and AMBASSADOR listings are just guesses. We don't know for sure.

NEBULA sounds like a good bet, as the ship physically resembles a "sister-Class" of the Galaxy, it's a good bet a lot of the interior features such as classrooms etc. exist.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't aware "Lower Decks" established that junior officers have to share quarters. Thats fairly messed up considering the size of the officer quarters (which probably have more square footage than my entire house). It also seems inconsistant with the egalitarian themes of the TNG+ stuff. I mean obviously Starfleet officers are granted a few more perks, but making junior officers and enlisted double up so that Worf can have three bedrooms plus a study/rumpus room just doesn't seem right.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, the truth is, we don't have facts about hardly any of the ship classes. The Galaxy Class and the Defiant Class are about the only ones in the current era that we know anything about in this area. Voyager is under special circumstances, so we can't infer anything about the rest of the Intrepids and every thing else has pretty much been during war time.

It's all guessing. I'm just saying that size-wise, if the Excelsior is big enough, so is the Sovvie.

And I'm out..

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not as young as I used to be, and my memory is going. Why, I remember back in the winter of '06. . . *falls asleep*

As best I recall, the young officers in "Lower Decks" had to share quarters. I may also be misremembering, but wasn't one of the perks awaiting whoever got the Ops job a single cabin? And we know there's loads of space on a Galaxy, supposedly there are whole decks as yet empty - therefore making them share is for other reasons.

Forgot about power conservation on Voyager - but that's OK, so do the writers, most of the time!

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps