Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Copernicus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: S.S. Copernicus
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A continuation of a long term project of mine, extrapolating out possible designs for the DY Series.
This one is largly based off of Sternbach's DY-100 refit (I even kept the name) that was featured in the old Starfleet Chronology.

It's a big one so I'll link it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good lord that's sweet!
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there was much sweetness... and the peasants rejoiced!

Very, very cool. I absolutely love the logo you made for the construction company.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea I had for the launching method, basically they're a pair of SRBs that once separated from the main craft can glide back to earth and even land on one of the space shuttle's old (in 2035) runways.

-

However I'm not entirely confidant that a ship that size is feasible, is there a rocket scientist in the house!?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see. You have to take into account the size of the ship, what its mass is, how strong the materials that it's made of are, and figure out how much force is required to enter orbit, account for atmospheric resistance...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Do I get to use magic beans?

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about those reusuable boosters, Rev. Those small-bore nozzles would weigh a lot more than a single large nozzle with the same rear surface area, so are rather inefficient. You'd be better off with larger, non-reusable boosters without that semicircular cross section. Or, go for a large reusuable air-plane shaped booster.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Originally I had planned to have one big aerospike there instead, which as it turned out was exceedingly difficult to draw with that curve and not make it look...well crap.
What you see here is plan-B.
I suppose you could make up some technobabble about those little rockets, like say they use electron enhanced magnetic fields to increase the thrust pressure at high altitudes thus making the nozzles very efficient indeed.
Or I could go back to using the magic beans [Wink]

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome work Reverend!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] That has always been an interesting ship in the world of Star Trek. It is nice to see an updated version. I am truly impressed. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work.

Just something - the position of the windows in the 'tower' made me wonder if there was a gravity system.

Then I thought about The Botany Bay - Did Kahn's ship have gravity in Space Seed? Does this then meen?mean? by the 1990's they had artificial gravity?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Very nice work.

Just something - the position of the windows in the 'tower' made me wonder if there was a gravity system.

Then I thought about The Botany Bay - Did Kahn's ship have gravity in Space Seed? Does this then meen?mean? by the 1990's they had artificial gravity?

Andrew

Yes this is a sticky problem indeed.

The Botany Bay did indeed have gravity when Kirk & co beamed over, now you can look at this in two ways;

1 - Scotty beamed over a gravity generator ahead of the away team so they wouldn't have the inconvenience of a zero-G environment.

2 - The Botany Bay had it's own gravity generator/plating, something far in advance of the level of technology available at the end of the 20th century...not that they knew that back in the 60's.

For me the second option seams the most inviting, especially given that the design of Botany Bay set certainly didn't look like the inside of a zero gravity ship. In actuality it looks exactly like a room that people are meant to walk through instead of float.
What I consider a fair explanation of how a gravity generator found it's way onboard such an old ship is that it was invented by Khan and/or those 80 or so super geniuses who were frozen aboard.
Indeed the cryo freezers and ship itself is apparently far too advanced a technology so you could propose that the entire ship was designed by these people and most of it's advanced secrets were lost when they fled earth, which is why later ships such as the Aries IV were apparently less advanced.

So, to answer your question no, I don't believe this DY-300 had gravity since Khan and his followers took all of their knowledge with them, leaving only a construction company and a set of structural blueprints.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's always the explanation from the Eugenics Wars books... [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is the explanation in the Eugenics War books? feel free to spoil me [Wink] .
IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They" (elements within the US govt.) built the Botany Bay in Area 51 with technology "cribbed" from the Ferengi Shuttle which crash-landed in Roswell.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But... Khan didn't come from the US! How'd he get his hands on it? (Based on the assumption that the US wasn't involved in the Eugenics Wars, given the setting in "Future's End.")

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps