Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Copernicus (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: S.S. Copernicus
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget about Gary Seven. He supplied certain technologies to the project, impulse drive being one of them, I think. He was secretly funding the project as a backup, which he ended up using. He offered Khan an ultimatum: spend the rest of his life being hunted down, or he and his fellow superhumans could be put in stasis on the Botany Bay and sent out to colonize a planet.

One of the funniest parts of the book is how he and Roberta steal the Botany Bay out of Area 51. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that, I havn't actually finished reading the first book yet.
Regardless of how much I did enjoy what I managed to read I'm not about to go ripping off another author's work.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't be ripping off an author's work, it'd be being consistant with his work [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that for the fact that if there was no gravity aboard the Botany Bay - their muscles would have wasted away?? Even being in stasis?

I like the idea that Kahn and co. had a 'get-away' vehicle. Although - why would Rain Robinson have a model in her office!?! Maybe it was a design at the time - but was refitted by Kahn and co. So other DY-100's mightn't have had gravity.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It wouldn't be ripping off an author's work, it'd be being consistant with his work
Thats close enough.
Besides I just might have a few ideas of my own about just how these ships came into being.

quote:
Interesting that for the fact that if there was no gravity aboard the Botany Bay - their muscles would have wasted away?? Even being in stasis?
I'll have to check the episode again but I'm pretty sure that there was a comment made about just how fast Khan recovered from being in cryogenic freeze for so long.
Also I seam to recall his people doing all kinds of stretching routines when they were brought out, a possible sign of muscle atrophy.
With their genetically accelerated healing abilities and increase muscle density any such effect would be greatly reduced.

Also I don't believe that muscle deterioration was an issue in reviving the survivors of the S.S. Birdseye. Mind you they were frozen corpses so I presume Crusher was able to repair all the damaged tissue and ruptured cell walls ahead of time. By comparison, tired muscles are a minor concern.

quote:
I like the idea that Kahn and co. had a 'get-away' vehicle. Although - why would Rain Robinson have a model in her office!?! Maybe it was a design at the time - but was refitted by Kahn and co. So other DY-100's mightn't have had gravity.
I had a similar thought, except that Rain's model was bought from some mail order company that does kits for planes and rockets that don't officially exist. I say this because I remember seeing a model kit for the supposed Aurora stealth plane some years back, when X-Files was still fresh and popular. [Wink]

I agree that Khan's ship(s*) were the only ones outfitted with the really advanced stuff and that only the DY-100's structural blueprints and maybe some unfinished hull sections are left behind for the DY company to work from.

*In my DY-100 article I have three being symoltaniously launched into orbit, two of which get taken out by an orbiting weapons platform while Khan & co manage to escape.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idea - just looking at your chart at the Journal of Applied Treknology or whatever...

Before the or taking into account your DY-950 (i.e. the front shape) Leading into the S.S. Enterprise with the circle/torus at the back!?!

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

An intriguing possibility.
Perhaps the result of an experimental project using Vulcan engine designs?

Of course if I go down that road the guy who came up with the other take on the DY Series is going to think I stole his idea.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well - it's not a huge leap - especially now with Enterprise and Vulcan ships etc. You could always say he inspired you - but your ship-shape [Smile] gave me the idea before his did.

Andrew

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

On second thought that might not be such a good idea, given the S.S. Enterprise's distinct XCV-330 registry. On the other hand the registry could just mean that the ship was sold to another company or that XCV is an early reg code for interstellar liners...hmm...I'll have to think about this.

However I am now seriously tempted to put a split-ring on one of the later DYs...call it a little bit of industrial espionage [Wink]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Has anyone got a good view of the SS Enterprise??

If you look at Matt Jeffries designs of it - at the front the 'pod' thing looks sorta DY'ish. Then there was that Chronology version floating around somewhere - but it's pod looked more like your later classes - that's what reminded me! [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hey I did this - took me about an hour to find the images and fumble my way around the art program - geez they've changed PSP since version 5. (Well a little) [Smile]

WARNING!! It's very crude. Especially the 'moon ship' ;o) (From the opening Enterprise credits)

It's a spaceship evolution chart:

(It's large - be warned... 800kb I think)

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/starshipevolution.jpg

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes good sense. Thank you for the chart. I can not wait to see the official design of the lunar orbiter, but that is a good representation. [Big Grin]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'Reverend?'s and 'Masao?'s are Bernd's own drawings. Just for the record.

There are two more obscure early ship classes: the RT-2203 (SS Tomobiki) and the BBI-993 (SS Buckaroo Banzai). My pet theory is that the RT class of ships where the ones with the rings. Of course, this was way before the XCV cropped up, and dates back from my days as a n00b [Wink]

But you might want to consider some special designs for the BBI's and RT's.

PS1 What's that "moon ship"?
PS2 I think the design of the Fortunate was very good. Especially for the new CrazySexyCool attitude in Trek [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Actually the Valiant is mine...for the record [Wink]
One of these days I'll finish off the other views.
The Conestoga dose indeed appear to be one of Bernd's but the "S.S. Enterprise" dosen't look like his usual work to me, so it might be a contribution.
Oh and the NX-01 is Bernd's too by the looks of it.

As a side note I actually did a dedication plaque for the Valiant a while back that has it as one of the RT series so perhaps the ringship is of the BBI series...not that it matters which way round it goes.

After a few sketches exploring the idea of incorperating the ringships into the DY line and I've decided that while there are some similarities, on the whole it would be very difficult to intergrate them in the the evolution of the DY without looking forced.
Perhaps when I'm done I'll go back and make a whole new family of designs for the BBI & RT ships.

Nice work on the chart Andrew, however for some reason I got the impression that the Luna warp ship was wedge shaped.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks for the nice words. Sorry I didn't realise some were actually Bernd's. Sorry Bernd.

Oh and the Lunar Orbiter ship is VERY VERY crude. Sorry [Smile]

Yeah it might be hard to fit the ring-ship in... but I just noticed on the DY-350/700 just after the 'balls' near the rear is a little shape that appears on the 'end' of the Ring ship's 'spine'. And the 'pod' at the front fits the Valiant's/Conestoga's 'body' but more interestingly the original Matt Jeffries' version has a DY-type front pod!

see here:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/ring1.jpg

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/ring2.jpg

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps