Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Norway Class Yacht (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Norway Class Yacht
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'ello evreebody, it's Doctor Nick!

Nah, just kidding [Smile]

I've been working for awhile now on an integrated yacht-type-craft for the Norway Class. Since the Norway's a blank slate, I went with the idea that she's a diplomatic ship and that translated into this idea.

I found this picture some time back:
 -

It's as good a reference as any really, so I stuck with this and decided that the underside dome could have been something like a torp-launch apparatus or a sensor dome, but given its size relative to the ship, I decided it would just as well do as a docked craft that seems so popular these days (Galaxy, Intrepid, Nova, Sovereign, presumably Nebula).

So, given the basic shape more or less, I designed this:

-

The Norway Class Yacht

She uses design elements of the Galaxy Class "UFO" type yacht, the aggressive Sovereign yacht, the Scoutship and elements of the Norway Class herself in her styling.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of her.

-Ahkileez

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of nacelles that fold all the way into the main body of the hull... though wouldn't that seriously cut down on internal volume?

Other than that, it's an interesting idea -- makes sense!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good lord. That's one darn cool little ship. Let's see what I can find that's wrong with it [Smile] Remember... we nitpick because we love...

I see but three things I don't care for:
1) The curvy windshield. I don't know why... but it's just not doing it for me.

2) The registry number on the top of the ship. I think it's too big and bold. It's also in the wrong font [Smile] Captain Mike will be posting shortly with a link to his zip file of Starfleet signage... [Smile]

3) The side panels right above the nacelles. They just don't look like they work with the panelling on the rest of the ship. Maybe it's just that the stripes or too pronounced.

Other than that, this is great work. What program didja use? Did you sketch it out first?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, nice work Ahkileez, I see you're still very much into the Norway. [Wink]

Nice design here, and I concur with Aban's observations about the curvy windshield. Perhaps the nacelles could be a little longer, but it's all merely aesthetics. It's still a very cool design.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for replying. I really appreciate the critiques [Smile] But first off, something new. I worked on the interior of the yacht. [Smile]

-

MinutiaeMan: Thanks, I loved the folding nacelle idea when I thought of it too. It's a great way to save space and kind of capitalizes on the Intrepid idea. The Nacelles won't take up all that much space though. As you can see, the nacelles are only as thick as the bottom 'half' of the ship. The part below the livable area up top. And the nacelles don't fold in entirely perpendicular. They stop at a little bit of an angle, maybe 15-degrees. Enough that they slot in, making the bottoms of them flush with the bottom of the yacht.

Aban Rune: I agree on all three of your points. I might go ahead and redesign the cockpit windows. Probably something more angular like the Sov's windows. Maybe with a stylized design on one side like the D-Flyer? Hmmm... maybe not [Wink]

The top registry, I know, too big. I'm thinking of redesigning that to actually put in the Insurrection-type docking latches for docking with other ships. Not sure yet. And the side panels, I'm definitely thinking of redoing them. I came up with an idea when I was doing the side view (you'll notice some red text to the right of the panels) that the yacht has lifepods. Two two-person pods on each side that that would explode outward. So I might redesign it to look more like that.

Captain Mike has the official ST hull font? The real one? I had it once, but lost it. I even forget the name of it.

The Red Admiral: Mark, I'm definitely still into the Norway still [Wink] Maybe you can model the yacht too?

Thanks for all your help guys, keep em coming!

Ahkileez

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://captainmike.org/Stuff/TrekFonts.zip

palindrome expanded ssi is my first choice for post-movie-era ship hulls, if you need big letters with the outline, use starfleet bold extended

so sue me for being a text-elitist! i'm a graphics major!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody hell, 700 Kb?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One can never have too many fonts, to many colored pencils, too many shirts, or too many girls that think you're hot.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself, have not enough colored pencils.

Oh sorry, I don't really have any use for splitting up that file.. those are all the fonts I find myself needing at school and i like to have them at my fingertips. For those of you with 28.8 I'll upload a separate font i guess if you need it.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably for the best - I'm about to switch computers, and I always forget to transfer the fonts. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
Member # 709

and you guys know what will happen if i.. ever.. catch you guys using TNG Monitors again right?!

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice craft.

I actually like the windshield myself.

Interior:

I like the front area/control spaces. But not the back so much - a big row of seats/wrap around couch doesn't seem like a good use of space.

I could see airline style seating if it is supposed to be a transport. Or basically a lounge area if it is VIP courier - maybe even some sleeping berths since we've got warp drive and may be our awhile.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Folks,

I put in some changes based on suggestions from here and other places. I think they really add to the solid feel of the ship.

I also accounted for the size of the ship internally that I didn't before. She's a bigger animal than I remembered.

-

[Smile]

-Ahkileez

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's beautiful!

I take it those numbered hatches have something to do with evacuation (there are even small portholes there, right?). Escape pod hatches or just escape hatches? The interior makes for rather awkward access, though...

The "waist" part of the interior could perhaps be more crammed with machinery. Not everything can be stored above or below the habitable part, and this is the area where we have the pylon mechanisms, the plasma conduits from the rooftop reactor to the nacelles, stuff like that. You could show the escape pods as well. (They could be inflatable or otherwise collapsible!)

The ship has three ventral phaser strips, it seems - for clearing out a landing area? If they are for space combat, you might want to add some dorsal strips as well.

I dig the side view a lot now. And the flat bottom makes it possible that Paramount could even build this thing as a full-size prop. [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, and good thing you made the interior look like a Danube Class because the original one looks like something James Bond would be using.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps