Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Norway Class Yacht (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Norway Class Yacht
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty artwork...you're good with your drawing program. I wouldn't have thought the Norway to have an external yacht as so much of it's detail and structures are Defiant-related. I pictured the Norway as a larger Defiant type vessel with hidden lifeboats, hidden shuttlebay doors, etc.

PS: are the reversed registries supposed to be on the aft quarters of the craft, or are they undeleted artifacts?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your compliments, guys [Smile]

Timo: Those are escape pod hatches, yep [Smile] I'm not sure if other Trek escape pods have windows... I think they do, on the 'inside'. These ones have them on the out. *shrug*. Uhm, yeah I know I didn't properly account for the locations of the escape pods internally. I'm not an architect so I'm not entirely sure how to maneuver everything around spatially for the effect it should have. Who knows, maybe the inside doors to the pods are a little higher up on the wall? I thought of maybe something like anti-gravity going off at the flick of an emergency switch so you can easily scamper into the pods. I do love your idea of a collapsible escape pod though. That actually works quite well [Smile] Maybe I'll put together an image of the escape pods soon [Smile]

There should be more internal dividing walls and such. What kinds of machinery do you suggest?

Oh, and she has dorsal strips. One on the front, just forward of the cockpit, and two at the rear beside the door. See'um? [Smile]

Colorge: Yeah, you're right. The internal layout looked a little too "Love Machine" [Smile]

SoundEffect: It's really a point-of-view kind of thing, you know? The ship is such an unknown that it's really dependant on how you *want* to see her. It's probably not the original intent that the Norway would be a diplomatic ship, but since it hasn't been specified.... it's open game I say [Smile]

P.P.S. No, they're supposed to be there.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow; very nice. The new interior looks good; I wasn't too sure about the folding nacelles at first but they've definitely grown on me (not literally).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing wrong with multi-role ships. There's not much to know about the Norway except it's a Medium Cruiser. My mind's eye placed more Defiant like stuff on the underside, rather than a Sovereign interpretation.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. I found myself playing in Photoshop a little bit and jimmied up a quick 'docked' view based on the Fact Files picture from the last issue.

-

Wraith: Thanks Wraith. I really love those folding nacelles. I'm rather surprised there hasn't been more fan-based designs using them actually. They're a cool and plausible touch. But I suppose that using them in the wrong way would make even the nicest design an ugly one.

SoundEffect: Like the picture above? It looks like they leaned heavily on a very Defiant sort of patterning when the Fact Files people did this rendition of the Norway. Who knows why.

By the way, are you the guy that does commissioned models on your Maritime Modelers group? I was thinking about getting one of those ASK Norway Class models done up with the name and such of the ship I play on. How much would something like that cost you think?

-Ahkileez

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great ship Ahkileez, I think the second version is better but I did like the first. I never liked the idea of folding nacelles on Voyager but they look good on this and have a practical use too. Keep up the good work, look forward to more designs in future.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Yep, that's me. To save thread space, send me an email at [email protected], and we can talk about it.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To keep closer to the Fact Files pic... you may want to recess the docked yacht all the way into the hull instead of having it pop out the bottom like that. This might also work better with the rear entry hatch when considering how people actually embark while the ship is docked.

As for folding nacelles... the one thing you have to consider is this: There's alot of important equipment in those stuts. Things like plasma conduits. If the nacelles fold under on themselves, you have to account for how those plasma conduits disconnect safely. Well... you don't *have* to... but you know what I mean [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a really nice looking ship. [Wink] Great use of the technology used in other vessels and quite original. Do you have any other plans to make any other designs? Thank you for the views of the Norway showing the placement of the yacht. [Wink]
Ahkileez
Member # 734

Thanks guys. I keep thinking of doing more for her. Like actually attempting a fore and aft view. Not sure though, because I've never been good at that type of perspective thinking. I'm thinking of designing the lifepods too actually.

Grokca: Thanks Grokca [Big Grin] I'm rather proud of the design. It brought a *lot* of different styles together nicely. Maybe I should submit it to Bernd's JOAT thing? [Smile]

SoundEffect: I'll send you a mail later today.

Aban Rune: The 'pop out' effect was precisely what I wanted [Smile] Personally I dislike the 'clothes iron' look that the Norway has from the side and this helps break it up a little bit. Not much, but enough, hehe.

As for the power distribution in the pylons, I would imagine this thing has the same flexible tubing in them that Voyager has. And remember that the nacelles don't fold in on themselves entirely. It's more like a sideways "V". An acute angle, yes, but not as hard on plumbing as folding flat against itself, which would create a pinch point. If I get ambitious, I might try an internal power distribution view, like a top-down MSD.. who knows [Smile]

Sarvek: I've actually been thinking of maybe doing some other work actually Sarvek. Everybody concentrates on doing the capital ships, so small craft would really be more open game for me. I'm actually thinking of putting together an impulse fighter for the Akira Class....

What do you guys think of that?

-Ahkileez

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm actually thinking of putting together an impulse fighter for the Akira Class....
What do you guys think of that?

Might be quite interesting, despite the debates over whether or not the Akira is a carrier; something similar in style to the Peregrin?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Wraith: No, not similar to the Pergrine. She looks a little too Cylon to me. [Smile]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a suggestion but it might be interesting to have some slide in protective plates that go over the nacelle while they'er retracted.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an awesome idea. [Big Grin] It kind of reminds me of the Batmobile from the first movie Batman. Good use of the technology. [Big Grin]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, we are fickle.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps