Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Drawing schematics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Drawing schematics
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK some of you people here are very talented doing your schematics. I want in! [Smile]

What is the better program to use - ease wise...

PSP
AI
Corel

another?

You use the vector images don't you?

What are the best tools to use? The polygons or do you use the point-to-point vector tool!?! It's really frustrating?

Do you start with a sketch and then draw over it or do you start from scratch? How do you end a 'path' in PSP!?! When I double click - it ends - but then if I press escape - then all the vectors I've draw go.

It's all very fiddly and frustrating!?! Is it always like that!?!

This is an attempt at a nacelle - quick and nasty in AI:

-

The bussard was a killer - I think I should have just used a polygon for it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use PSP to trace over existing images. Never bothered with vectors though. Two things to remember (basic, yes, I know, but everyone's forgotten them at one time or another): 1) remember to save as a .PSP file, 2) Remember to switch antialiasing on! 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
antialiasing - gets rid of the pixel 'bumps' doesn't it? You're talking about working with Raster images?

--------------------

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I really suggest you stick to a vector program. Ultimately, it'll give you more options when it comes to drawing out a design unless you're going to do it 'by hand' with a graphic tablet.

PSP isn't a vector program, so it should be off that list.

The main list should really be
Adobe Illustrator
Macromedia Freehand
Corel Draw

... in that order [Smile] I know Bernd over at Ex-Astris uses something else... I forget the name of it, which seems like it should be pretty good given the quality of the work that he does [Smile]

-Ahkileez

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PSP has done vector art since version 5, actually. It just doesn't do it well. [Wink]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I believe Bernd uses a Micrografx program.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint Shop Pro 7 works fine for me.
The only real shortcomming in it's vector options is that the vector line thickness can only go as low as 1 (most vector programs go as low a 0.25 or so I'm told).
However, with a little slight of hand this can be over come with reletive ease.

AndrewR: I'm not much of an author but since your not the first to ask about using PSP7 I supposes I'll try and make up a quick turorial to demonstrate the basics.

Give me a day or so while I get a hold of someone who can help with the web publishing.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's a perliminary tutorial on how to draw a very basic nacelle, I'll try and get some screen grabs done and post it all up on a web page somewhere when I get the time.

quote:
VECTORED OBJECTS AND FILL GRADIENT

1 - Create a new image 600x200, with a transparent background.

2 - Select the "preset shapes" tool.

3 - On the tool options box and select the rectangle shape. Also make sure that the "Antialias" and "Create as Vector" boxes are checked.

4 - Click and drag and release to draw the shape at 400x50. (The dimensions are displayed in the bottom left corner of the window.)

5 - Select the "Object Selector" tool and right click the rectangle, near the bottom of the pop up menu select "Properties".

6 - In the "vector properties window" click the little black triangle in the bottom right corner of the "Styles - Fill" box, move the cursor righr and select "Gradiant".

7 - To select a different gradiant simply click the centre of the "Styles - Fill" box and choose a gradiant from the assortment provided.

8 - On the tool options box and select the ellipse shape. Once again make sure that the "Antialias" and "Create as Vector" boxes are checked.

9 - Click and drag and release to draw the shape at 50x50. (Remember that the dimensions are displayed in the bottom left corner of the window). A good trick to remember for drawing perfect circles or squares is to hold down shift while you drag and the shape will retain it's aspect ratio.

10 - Repeat steps 5 - 7 for the circle.

NODE EDITING

1 - Select the "Object Selector" tool and right click the circle, near the bottom of the pop up menu select "Node Edit".

2 - Select the left most node and right click, scroll down the pop up menu and select EDIT > CLOSE. (In time you will learn the shorcut keys for most of these functions but for now I'll teach you the long way).

3 - Next Select the top most node (you will note that while a single node is selected the node contour indicators are displayed), right click, scroll down the pop up menu and select "NODE TYPE > LINE BEFORE" if the contour arrow is pointing right and "LINE AFTER" if it's pointing to the left. Do the same for the bottom most node and you should be left with a semi circle.

4 - Again using the "Object Selector" tool select the semi circle and position it to the right of the rectangle.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll make my standard statement in support of Macromedia Freehand (version 10). It has everything I need in a vector program. I've very happy with it. It's very flexible and can draw lines thinner than 0.25 point!

But, as with 3-D programs, most of the difference in the quality of the results depends on the artist and not the program. Most vector programs can turn out decent artwork if you're a decent artist.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Agreed whole heartedly.
It should also be noted that it's not so much talent as it is patience, time and practice.
You will find that your abilities will increase with every image you create, so don't feel bad if your first attempts are not as good as those you see on Ex-Astris or Masao's own museum.
So long as you keep at it and teach yourself new tricks you will get better.

If you want a comparison look here.

I did this around june/july of last year, note the thick gridlines, the lack of any consistant light source, the murky low contrast gradiants and the rather obvious use of lables (I have never used those since).
Then look at my more recient work on the DY Family.
That difference is the result of almost constant work for the last year and a bit, anyone in the ASDB can tell you how often and how much I've produced to get to this level and I can tell you that I'm far from being the best 2-D artist around.

P.S. Masao, I did actually have a go at Freehand, but I'm so used to PSP that I couldn't make head nor tails of it. Perhaps I'll have another go one day.

P.P.S. If you really want to see how bad I was when I started out, take a look at this. (This is a vector free image btw)

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Reverend - thanks. Your "bad" is still GOOD! [Smile]

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also vote for Freehand. I use it professionally, and it has allowed me to do anything my employer has rerquired. Plus it allows seamless integration to such programs as Fireworks and Flash.

I's a lot like Illustrator - but with the serial numbers filed off...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: What version are you using? I recently moved up from version 7 to version 10. I can now do contoured gradient fills (handy for shading noncircular hull projections) but haven't tried the perspective tool yet.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use CorelDRAW 10. It works OK, but it misses some basic tools found in other vector programs, and is more than a little buggy.

Bernd uses Designer (or Corel Designer as it is since version 9). It's a very technical program, and perhaps a bit overwhelming. Macromedia's Freehand seems to be pretty good, I'd go for that if I were starting all over again. But since I'm so used to CorelDRAW, it's very difficult to work with other software [Frown]

(And I still get a bit dizzy when I try complex shapes � la Prometheus. That's why most of my ships are TOS and pre-TOS [Smile] .)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
(And I still get a bit dizzy when I try complex shapes � la Prometheus. That's why most of my ships are TOS and pre-TOS [Smile] .)

That's my secret too. I only draw what's easy to draw.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps