Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TAS - Aquashuttle....again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TAS - Aquashuttle....again
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of digging up the old thread I thought I'd start a new one.

This should be my FINAL pass, complete with spelling corrections and a few new additions.

aquashuttle_chart

Some have questioned exactly why I made the nacelles so big when they appear to be so small onscreen.
My answer to that is that the proportions of the entire schematic were based directly off of a top down view taken directly from the show, being as this was the clearest plan view available I decided to stick with it.
If you want a Treknical explanation, then you could simply say that most of the bulk in the warp nacelles are to do with the buoyancy equipment.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Should the slash between 1701 and the 5 be so long?
2. Also, I think the grey strip across the nose fades to far into the white on the top view. Actually, the shading on the strip should be in steps as it travels across each of the flat panels of the hull. Instead, you have it whiting out as it were following a curve.
3. The hull/wing panels are also shaded front to back.
4. The landing gear should be darker, since its completely under the wings (and in shadow).
5. I'd also shade the bottom panels darker.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very glad to see an update to the shuttle. She looks good. Thank you for making the corrections. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that delta doing there? Shouldn't it be the boomerang?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a pennant of my own design, it's meant to be the first use of the delta before TMP.
I developed it for the Dreadnaught and decided to give it a test run on the Aquashuttle.
It seams reasonable enough to say that starfleet could have started phasing in the delta during the late 2260s, after all we didn't see any new starfleet vessels until the Excelsior in the 2280s.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
1. Should the slash between 1701 and the 5 be so long?
2. Also, I think the grey strip across the nose fades to far into the white on the top view. Actually, the shading on the strip should be in steps as it travels across each of the flat panels of the hull. Instead, you have it whiting out as it were following a curve.
3. The hull/wing panels are also shaded front to back.
4. The landing gear should be darker, since its completely under the wings (and in shadow).
5. I'd also shade the bottom panels darker.

1. Probably not but I was using the USAF font and the slash is a little on the dodgy side.
in the future I intend to use "Fleet old School" instead.

2. Thats meant to be some kind of reflective strip that can be seen in murky waters, the only way I know of to show light reflection is to wash it out to white. You're right about steping the gradiant, it's something I'll have to remember the next time I don something similar.

3. I'm not used to colouring such a flat design so I decided to try and have the light source very low and to the front to keep things looking as white as possible.

4. The light is bouncing off the ground onto the shiney foot pads. [Razz]

5. I wouldn't. [Wink]

--------------------

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato. I just noticed the name - is that a Gerry Anderson tip of the hat? ^_^

Jas

--------------------
http://stmultiverse.homestead.com

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah... I was curious who you named it after too.

I love the work. I'm not a huge fan of the design, but it's cool to see such nice work doen of some TAS stuff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Gerry Anderson? Ack!

The shuttle is actually named after Hans Christian Andersen author of The Little Mermaid, you uncultured yobs!

quote:
I love the work. I'm not a huge fan of the design, but it's cool to see such nice work doen of some TAS stuff.
I don't like it much either but I know that TAS still has a pretty dedicated fanbase and I was up for the challange.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that there is little material to go by, but there's one major aspect of the aquahuttle that could be clarified if somebody had access to the actual episode.

Take a look at the leftmost picture on the upper row, and the second-leftmost one on the lower row, on this page from Curt Danhauser's site. Do we see the underside of the shuttle here?

It is quite possible that the shuttle has a "second cabin" under its belly, with windows similar to the top ones. This would make perfect sense for a submersible, or for a surface-skimmer. The lower windows would be accessed through floor hatches on the main cabin. The necessary airlock for the craft could also be located down there.

The lower cabin naturally wouldn't show up in top or side views, only the fwd, aft and bottom views.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks to me like the top protrusion (with the cockpit windows) is simply mirrored for the bottom. Which might make sense, actually...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I did consider this while drawing up the schematic but I found that there really wasn't enough room for decks on the Aquashuttle unless I scaled it up. Given that it's already big as far as shuttles go I decided to give the underside a boat-like box shape instead of mirroring the cabin.
However, if I were to draw a ventral view I would incorperate some portholes on the lower surface around the airlock.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't want to imply we'de be talking a full-height deck, either. After all, the best way to utilize the lower windows would be with your tummy firmly against a mattress of some sort. That's how many of today's submersibles are operated, too (either they have the pilot sitting up and the manipulator operator lying down, or then even the pilot is lying down as in the Cousteaus' diving saucer or Deep Flight).

The reason I think there could be this "mirrored cabin" down there is that the two pics show a window arrangement distinct from the one on the top cabin. As you may note, the "lower cabin" black windows wrap around all the way to the very stern of the craft, unlike the upper windows... Could be a simple mistake, but could be an indication of a distinct "observation hold" down there.

I've always envisioned the aquashuttle as having more than two modes of operation. It can fly in space (and probably at warp, with those nacelles), so it can be deployed; it can fly in an atmosphere, so it can reach the area of interest; it can economically skim on water using the surface effect (hence, the drooping sides and the underbelly cavity); it can settle down a little deeper and swim like a boat (and the boatlike lower cabin gives a bit more stability); and it can dive, either by applying propulsive power, or by flooding ballast tanks. In short, it's a veritable Calypso all on its own. No wonder it has to be so big.

What would be the method of underwater propulsion? Magnetic fields, shoving water past the ship either internally or externally? Rocket engines? Ducted turbines? Your views don't make the propulsion system explicit - no propellers in evidence.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I didn't want to imply we'de be talking a full-height deck, either. After all, the best way to utilize the lower windows would be with your tummy firmly against a mattress of some sort. That's how many of today's submersibles are operated, too (either they have the pilot sitting up and the manipulator operator lying down, or then even the pilot is lying down as in the Cousteaus' diving saucer or Deep Flight).

The reason I think there could be this "mirrored cabin" down there is that the two pics show a window arrangement distinct from the one on the top cabin. As you may note, the "lower cabin" black windows wrap around all the way to the very stern of the craft, unlike the upper windows... Could be a simple mistake, but could be an indication of a distinct "observation hold" down there.

I've always envisioned the aquashuttle as having more than two modes of operation. It can fly in space (and probably at warp, with those nacelles), so it can be deployed; it can fly in an atmosphere, so it can reach the area of interest; it can economically skim on water using the surface effect (hence, the drooping sides and the underbelly cavity); it can settle down a little deeper and swim like a boat (and the boatlike lower cabin gives a bit more stability); and it can dive, either by applying propulsive power, or by flooding ballast tanks. In short, it's a veritable Calypso all on its own. No wonder it has to be so big.

What would be the method of underwater propulsion? Magnetic fields, shoving water past the ship either internally or externally? Rocket engines? Ducted turbines? Your views don't make the propulsion system explicit - no propellers in evidence.

Timo Saloniemi

It could be a mirrored window strip or it could be a join line, perhaps the lower hull can detach to become a dingy, more likely it's an error on the animator's part. The bottom line with this is that a 23rd century submersible would depend largely on sensors on deep dives since visibility would be very poor even with flood lights and that such a window would be useless.

As for propulsion I thought I'd make those two smaller circles on the back standard impulse drives that can seal themselves closed while in the water and that larger central circle could be the exhaust for some kind of magnetic caterpillar drive ala Red October, with the intakes up the front. Antigravs on the underside could keep the craft above water while in skimmer mode with the impulse engines providing the thrust.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Timo. I just checked the episode, and it does indeed appear to be an observation crawlspace beneath the cabin.

Rev, will you do the other TAS shuttles? You might want to at least try the rather simple scouter gig from the same episode.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps