Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Akira Class Interceptor Fighter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira Class Interceptor Fighter
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

As promised, I've started puttering around with another small ship here. An interceptor fighter for the Akira Class since everyone complains the Peregrine is too big.

Big shout out to Masao, whose Starfleet Gray I've filched (do you mind Masao?) and used in this design. It looks awesome [Smile]

This is definitely a WIP still, but later on I hope to modify the finished design to a fighter-bomber design so the Akira can carry a bomber squadron as well.

C&C welcome [Smile]

WIP Version 1  -

WIP Version 2  -

WIP Version 3  -

Weapons so far consist of the wingtip phasers.. but later on I'm going to add in underslung Pulse Phaser cannons, not big ones though. something proportional to the ship itself [Smile]

Ahkileez

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... it's nice. I like where you're going. I'm going to need to see a side view, though [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

Somehow I have the impression that the side view will reveal some sort of "pyramid" just like the Delta Flyer.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That a neat stealthy design. From the looks of the cockpit area though, it looks as long or longer than the Peregrine Class Fighter. The Peregrine at only about 12m long is only about half the length of either the Delta Flyer or the Runabout. Unless the Starfleet Fighter is intended to be a scaled up version of the ship used by the Maquis. On-screen evidence points to 12m for the Maquis version.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shades of Testors/Italeri's old "F-19 Steath Fighter" model from the late 80s.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks nice!

I dunno, I think that the curves around the edges are a little strange, though. I might suggest making the a little bit "pointier," though still smooth. Might add a bit of a sharp, mean-looking feel to the design.

And I want a side view! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words as always guys [Smile]

Aban Rune: Yeah... uhm... the side view will be coming whenever I get this view done. LOL This things tend to move really slowly for me.

Bernd: It probably will. A little smoother than the DF, but with that same pyramidal, back-heavy look most Star Trek small craft have. But she's supposed to be low and narrow (to fit through the doors that people say the Peregrine can't fit though). The bomber version will be larger.

SoundEffect: I'm not really sure how big this baby is yet. The cockpit is a placeholder really. (you can see how unfinished it looks, ). However, even the most casual bit of research will show you that modern fightercraft are much larger than you think at first. Since a modern Nimitz Carrier can carry a quite a few fighters and still carry 5000 crew, I figure if I keep this thing narrow, I should still be able to fit a fair number of them in the Akira. Bonus: Her wings fold up for storage, to save space [Wink]

Shik: Give the man a cigar... you are indeed right [Smile] Though I didn't know it when I was designing it, a friend of mine told me last night that it looks a lot like the F-19 "Ghostrider" stealth fighters from the 80s. The project that was scrapped when the F117 and her kin came out.

MinutiaMan: Everybody wants a side view, sheesh. There's no pleasing you people [Razz] I see what you mean about the smoothness of some of the curves. I am considering 'hardening' them up a bit. I'm not sure though. Still thinking about it.

Ahkileez

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool looking fighter. I can not wait to see the other views. You might want to sharpen the edges of the wings, she looks stealthy or based off of the F-19 Stealth Fighter. Have you seen the Argo from Nemesis? It has sharp wings.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please use the Starfleet Grey! I've been encouraging others to use it, but most people have avoided doing so (too "muddy"!?!?!). The RGB was matched by modeler Thomas7g from color chips suggested at CultTVman's site (http://www.culttvman.com/what_color_is_the_classic_ente.html) and the Star Trek Communicator article by William McCullars (of the IDIC page). I thought at first that it looked a bit dark, but that was because I always draw on white backgrounds.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Here's a more complete top-view of the new fighter. Still hemming and hawing on the class name.

I'm not completely happy with the cockpit though. Do any of you other designers have any suggestions? Most importantly is trying to figure out if I should have a smooth/curved cockpit like a normal fighter, or the current geometric-type cockpit most ST ships have.

-

Sarvek: Definitely considering sharpening the wings. I'll decide on that before I draw the underside. Not sure..

Masao: I really love your gray, Masao. I think I'm going to use this from now on [Smile]

-Ahkileez

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Scimitar! Har!

Black outline around the yellow Fleet deltas would help..

BTW, i could see lotsa custom paint jobs possible here.. thats the fun part (see Masao's site)

Ahkileez
Member # 734

CaptainMike: Funny story behind the USS Scimitar thing [Smile] It's from the Star Trek: A Call to Duty RPG, one of our Akiras. ACTD was once part of Paramount, They licensed us to do the game and signed contracts with all the GMs in the game and what not. They were responsible for approving the ships in the game when we were still a part of PDE. Among the early ships, was the USS Scimitar. Later on, in I think the Starfleet Command game, there appeared a USS Scimitar (Akira Class). Lo and behold, we found a few other ships that matched shipname and class throughout that game. So we guess that somewhere, Paramount still had a list of the names they'd approved for ACTD's use [Smile]

So this ship here is tied to the USS Scimitar, which has been in operation like five years now. It has nothing to do with Nemesis [Wink]

Is the delta supposed to have an outline? I wasn't sure, but I agree it could probably do with one, yeah. I'll fix that in the next update I do [Smile]

Also, I did invision paint schemes for them, squadron specific really. Maybe after this is done, I'll put in one or two of them and see [Smile] Or maybe Masao can help? (hint hint Masao? [Wink] ).

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I steal most of my markings from the US Navy and Air Force from the 1950s to 1970s.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im waiting to see a side view to see if painting sharks teeth on the front is applicable

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Yes! All ships, including big starships, should have shark's teeth!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps