Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Misc. TOS stuff (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Misc. TOS stuff
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just what Jesus said, sah!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Loknar, Larson or the TOSTM ships, visit my frikkin website.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about this thread. About that Federation Recognition Chart... I remember staring at it for a while at my friends and the Ariandne class was always quite bizzare... I think that was the spelling Its the second from the top left on the chart: http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/images/starship-recognition.jpg

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a shovel? WTF is it supposed to be?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Ariadne class I know if (and its not in the SSDB) is this one.
StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Ariadne" was supposed to be a fleet carrier. It was based on the wedge shaped "Enterprise" design created by Ralph McQuarrie for ST:TMP/ST:Phase2 -

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359-other.htm#phaseii

I don't remember who made them but, I have a set of prints (MasterCom Data Center, I believe) of the "Enterprise Evolution" that includes the Ariadne.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're thinking of the Ariel, the McQuarriesque shuttlecarrier pictured in several SotSF works..

the Ariadne was supposed to be something completely different, a vessel shaped like a horizontal cylinder pictured on the Fed Recognition Chart from the SotSF people

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It aways reminded me of Cousteau's "wingship" Alcyone.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I can pretty much guess it's a vertical cylinder by looking at the chart - but is there anymore information/clarity for this ship!?! It's WAY too wierd! [Smile]

--------------------

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, that - thing... Ariel is the name of the McQuarrie derived design later on that sheet. I have never seen anything else on the Ariadne (not accounting for the WWII British minelayer, of course).
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under the title "Misc. TOS stuff", what is the story behind the Kirov class (the "stretched Miranda" above and slightly to the left of Ariel in that chart? Is it something dreamed up for this recognition chart only, or are there specs and histories elsewhere?

From the side view, it's obvious the ship has the huge flat saucer of the Ariel shuttlecarrier, but all three-view interpretations I've seen are lazy cutandpastes where an Avenger saucer is used instead. The "Starfleet Prototype" Adamant class is the ship that has the Avenger saucer and the three nacelles, but it's clearly distinct from Kirov.

Since Kirov IIRC made it as far as a SotSF name-drop, it would be nice to know more.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

So did this guy just cut and paste shillouettes or is there details on each of these ships out there?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kirov is just as you suspected, Timo. It uses the ginormous saucer of the Ariel and adds an ass similar to the Miranda. Properly scaled to the saucer, of course.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But whodunnit?

Even James Dixon doesn't have a single line about the origins or specifications of Kirov. A net search turns up some Adamant references but nothing useful. Jim Stevenson's database entry on the Kirov mentions the Mastercom people behind the comparison chart but nothing else.

And who did the Ariel? Stevenson mentions the Heavy Cruiser Evolution Chart which I assume is by the Mastercom folks as well.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only 'official' (i.e. published work) appearance of the actual designs i own is on the Federation Recognition Chart from Mastercom, where the Kirov and the Ariel are shown as silhouettes only. Although they are mentioned in SotSF, but not shown.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps