Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Misc. TOS stuff (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Misc. TOS stuff
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger. That Ariadne class is intruiging. How is this vertical cylinder thing supposed to work!?! Anyone think it's basically a ring structure (side on) with a very small 'crew area' at the bottom?

Can anyone get in contact with the artist/author?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, a couple of questions about naming, not answerable at this resolution:

-What is the ship to the right of Pytheas on the upper row?

-Or the leftmost ship on that row, for that matter?

-What is the name of the ship above Ingram, to the right of Mitannic? It looks like the Renner corvette from the Ianar frigate blueprints, but the chart seems to say "Renner Something class".

-Ditto for Avenger, what is this "Avenger Something class"?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would have been good to have my friend's brother's copy. But he's in the US (for several years) I haven't seen the 'friend' who is also in the US in several years. All his Trek stuff is probably in storage.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Trying to read them:

Row 1: ?, Ariadne Class, Frommer Class? Pytheas Class, ?, Horizon Archon Class, Coventry Class

Row 2: Surya Class, Knox Class, Endurance Class, Ptolemy Class, Kepler Class, Monoceros Class, Cygnus Class

Row 3: Amerind Class, Darwin Class, Saladin Hermes Class, Pompey Class, Siva Class, Cochise Class, Constitution Class

Row 4: Bonhomme Richard, , Endeavor Class, Enterprise Class, Constitution (uprated) Class, Tikopai Class, Federation Class

Row 5: Federation (uprated) Class, Ascension Class, Kirov Class, Avenger Cyane Classes, Detroyat, Menahga Class

Row 6: Mittanic Class, Renner? S? Classes, Coronade Class, Ariel Class, Excelsior Class

Row 7: Ingram Class, Komarov Class, Daran Class, Decatur Class, Belknap Class, Balson Class

Wonder what is written under each sillohette?

[ March 13, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what opticians ought to use, instead of those erratic E's! Here's my most recent take:

1st row: ?, Ariadne, ?, Pytheas, Nordenskj�ld, Horizon Archon, Coventry.

2nd row: Surya, Knox, Endurance, Ptolemy, Kep[p]ler, Monoceros, Cygnus.

3rd row: Amerind, Darwin, Saladin Hermes, Pompey, Siva, Cochise, Constitution.

4th row: Bonhomme Richard, Achernar, Endeavor, Enterprise, Constitution (refit?), Tikopai, Federation.

5th row: Federation (refit?), Ascension, Kirov, Avenger Cyane?, Detroyat, Mehanga.

6th row: Mitannic, Renner Daring?, Coronado, Ariel, Excelsior.

7th row: Ingram, Komarov, Daran, Decatur, Belknap, ?.

The lines beneath the silhouettes most probably read "something something shiptype". Compare for example the Tikopai and the Detroyat - the upper one must say "heavy cruiser" and the lower one "heavy destroyer", judging by the word lengths.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Found the bottom right is Balson.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys have figured it all out, except for the Renner [whatever] thing and the first and second ship. The stuff in the square brackets on the chart is I think [UPRATED]. Also, it looks like Avenger Cyane is correct, as I know there's a Cyane class. Looks like there's only one thing left to do.

*summons Identity Crisis*

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

[UPRATED] rings a belknap errr bell! [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Mehanga is spelt Menahga - well according to starshipschematics.net - and it seems to match. [Smile]

Where'd you get Nordenskj�ld, Darwin (although it does look like it) and Archenar (that was from TOS wasn't it... and it looks like it fits) from?

It does look like Nordenskjold to me now - the j and o look not very clear. Do you think the diaeresis is on there (it does ring a bell - althought it was quite a long time ago that I saw it.)

Maybe a wierd doctor (well that was a denist) like on Trekkies could have that as an eye chart! I'll let you propose the idea Timo! LOL!

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I forgot to correct the spelling of Menahga. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to dig a little to find my copy in the closet, but here goes:

1st row: Leonardo, Ariadne, Frobisher, Pytheas, Nordenskjold, Horizon/Archon, Coventry.

2nd row: Surya, Knox, Endurance, Ptolemy, Kepler, Monoceros, Cygnus.

3rd row: Amerind, Darwin, Saladin/Hermes, Pompey, Siva, Cochise, Constitution.

4th row: Bonhomme Richard, Achernar, Endeavor, Enterprise, Constitution (Uprated), Tikopai, Federation.

5th row: Federation (Uprated), Ascension, Kirov, Avenger/Cyane, Detroyat, Menahga.

6th row: Mitannic, Renner/Daring, Coronado, Ariel, Excelsior.

7th row: Ingram, Komarov, Daran, Decatur, Belknap, Balson.

Under each entry is their vessel type, using the same classification system as SOTSF:

MK-I Corsair (Leonardo)
MK-II Clipper (Ariadne & Frobisher)
MK-III Light Cruiser (Pytheas & Nordenskjold)
MK-IV Cruiser (Horizon/Archon)
MK-V Frigate (Coventry through Endurance)
MK-VI Transport/Tug (Ptolemy & Kepler)
MK-VII Scout (Monoceros through Darwin)
MK-VIII Destroyer (Saladin/Hermes through Cochise)
MK-IX Heavy Cruiser (as if I have to tell you!)
MK-X Dreadnought (Federation through Kirov)
MK-XI Heavy Frigate (Avenger/Cyane)
MK-XII Heavy Destroyer (Detroyat through Menahga)
MK-XIII Battlecruiser (Mitannic)
MK-XIV Corvette (Renner/Daring)
MK-XV Through-Deck Cruiser (Coronado)
MK-XVI Shuttlecarrier (Ariel)
MK-XVII Space Control Ship (Excelsior & Ingram)
MK-XVIII Superscout (Komarov)
MK-XIX Fast Frigate (Daran)
MK-XX Strike Cruiser (Decatur & Belknap)
MK-XXI Command Ship (Balson)

If there's more than one class in each type, it appears in this fashion: MK-IX/01, MK-IX/02, etc.

The first time I saw the Horizon, all the Connie variants, and the Ariel was on the Heavy Cruiser Evolution Blueprints from Star Fleet Department of Graphic Design. Don't remember exactly when I got them, but I know it was after STIV (the thing mentions adding the A to the registry) and before SOTSF. It was a three sheet package with plan views and port elevations of all the ships.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Bugger. That Ariadne class is intruiging. How is this vertical cylinder thing supposed to work!?! Anyone think it's basically a ring structure (side on) with a very small 'crew area' at the bottom?

Can anyone get in contact with the artist/author?

wow, i'm guilty of two dimensional thinking... could be that the Ariadne was meant to represent a variation on the TMP-plaque of the ringship SS Enterprise.. i was a fool to not consider that.

and in the amended timelines, perhaps represents one of the earliest Vulcan-human design collaborations.

oh, BTW, i recall a while back researching the Nordenskjold, thinking i might be able to find a nice blueprint online.. all i was really able to find is that it was probably named for Swedish explorer Otto Nordenskjold, and ive seen it spelled both with and without the �

[ March 13, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on finding anything about the oddball designs on the chart. I spent years looking for accurate specs on the engine on the Cygnus before I finally decided to work one out for myself.

The idea about Ariadne being a ring ship is interesting though; if you combine it with the flattened Frobisher class design, it might actually seem like a descendant of the S.S. Enterprise.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Cygnus
 - Cochise
these are WIPs of what i was able to try based on the silhouette

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never liked those silly nacelles.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps