Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Connie competitor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Connie competitor
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/Connie3.gif
Please excuse the jaggy gif; I couldn't get my jpg to upload...

This is a large cruiser that was beat out by the Connie to be Starfleet's heavy cruiser in the mid 2240s. The lay out is similar to that of the small cruiser I posted earlier but has a large attached engineering hull. I'm saying that this ship was built around a large reactor rather than Connie's new, small reactor. I was thinking of attaching the nacelles directly to the engineering hull but liked this look better. This attachment can also be rationalized by saying the engineering hull and breaching warp core could be detached while keeping warp capability off the fusion reactors. The ship uses a lot of components also used for the Connie, probably mandated by Starfleet for reasons of compatibiltiy. After losing to the Connie, the ship was still built in small numbers and maybe led to Miranda-style ships as well.

This is still a very early WIP, so no sniping about missing phaser turrets (This means you, DC). I also know that the registry has been suggested to belong to a Connie.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Very Swordfish. Shuttlebay(s)?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is that in Swordfish the "secondary hull" was actually the warp nacelle. Here's it's an actual engineering hull. The shuttle bays are those bilateral boxes on the rear view.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
This is still a very early WIP, so no sniping about missing phaser turrets (This means you, DC).

[Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh..OK. Hey, what's that funky stuff on the bottom of the bustle that shows up on the side view & none of the others?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting concept. I like the tailing engineering pod, it opens up several possible adaptations; Perhaps after a decade or so of service a few of the production models were refitted with the newer small reactor and that aft pod was replaced with a transport container clamp, similar to the Ptolemy-Class but attaching to the front end of the container.
With it's large internal volume it would make an ideal colony transport or with it's Heavy Cruiser armaments it'd make a formidable "high risk" transport, operating near the front lines of a conflict.
If one of those Ptolemy container/starliners could be outfitted with large internal shuttlebays the ship could become a command carrier of sorts.

Just spitting out ideas as they come to me, feel free to ignore...I would.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Ohhh..OK. Hey, what's that funky stuff on the bottom of the bustle that shows up on the side view & none of the others?

Umm, a phaser turret? For now it's just funky stuff that may or may not survive to the final version. For pure TOS ships, I have to keep the lines pretty clean.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks very Sabresque to me. Especially the middle right picture.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Looks very Sabresque to me. Especially the middle right picture.

Wasn't meant to be, but I may have been influenced subconsciously.

Those are interesting suggestions, Rev. If a new, smaller reactor were installed, the E-hull might be shrunk or even cut off entirely. I'm thinking of adding a small hanger or a torp launcher back there anyway. Even with the original reactor, the ship might still have a tow pad. I think all ships should have a tow pad, just in case. Sort of like a trailer hook. However, since all those containers seem to have only top attachment points, having a special set containers with front attachment points might be wasteful.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have my FJ Tech Manual handy, but I don't recall seeing any specific connection points on the container cylinders. I'd always figured that the tow pad was a magnetic strip of some kind, designed to just grap the container on command, without any actual internal structure to connect the two.

If this were the case, having multiple connection hardpoints would be reasonable.

I just remembered something, too -- FJ's sketches showed a Ptolemy pulling TWO containers, meaning that forward and aft connection points exist, and no visible latching mechanism is necessary.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly the Ptolemy pods could dock with each other in trains, front end to back.
So presumably it is possible for them to attach to a larger ship in this manner.

On the other hand perhaps the tow pad could be integrated into the underside of the E-hull, so the container would lock on in a more compact fashion, below the centre line.

[EDIT: Looks like MinutiaeMan beat me to it [Wink] ]

However, if you look at the plans there is are two turbolift connection points on top of the containers.

P.S. Masao, BBC 1 have just shown that "Dubbed for Americans" version of Mad Max you told me about. It's downright freaky, the bald police chief bloke sounds like Lloyd Bridges!!

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Although containers could be linked end to end, the primary connection to a ship probably is best left at the top of the container. I suspect the ends might have some sort of tractor beam emitters to allow in line linkage, but the only way into the containers are through the tops. So, I guess if you don't need to get in doing the journey (you could probably still dock a travel pod), end attachment to the ship might be ok.

Re: Mad Max. The only version I've seen is the US version. I hate dubbed movies (especially if originally in English!, so have only watched it once. )

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yeah, some kind of tractor beam or magnetic moorings (or whatever they called them in TMP) would be the most flexible option.

As for access, I suppose there could be a single airlock somewhere on the nose for the tug ship to soft dock with if need be...or they could just use the transporter.

Re: Mad Max. You're not missing much, the second one was much better. Bizarrely, it sounds like Gibson dubbed his own dialog, just in a slightly watered down accent. However I could be wrong.
I have a certain distaste for dubbed movies too, sometimes you really don't even need subtitles to know what's going on.
I remember watch this one movie completely in Spanish and having no trouble following the story, such as it was. I remember it because there was this bit where a middle aged woman squirted her breast milk into the mouth of a ten year old boy...now that's the kind of dodgy filmmaking that sticks in your mind.

*thinks about deleting that last part...*

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wishes Rev would do more than just think about deleting that last part*
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The odd trailing part (reactor/engineering section) could be a antimatter storage pod for transporting antimatter from wherever the hell starfleet makes it to the shipyards that use it.
The pod could be ejectable in case of emergency and the large primary hull could hold the dense matter (neutronium would be ideal, if too advanced by TOS standards)that interacts with the anti-em.
...or this culd be a one-off ship designed specificaly to dump loads of tribbles into the sun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps