Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Oh, I have a little list... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh, I have a little list...
Valles
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought that the way people would put together images of the dedication plaques of their fictional (or sometimes canon) starships was really cool. I especially liked all the neat quotes people came up with. I didn't want to forget any of them, and though it would be nice if there was a sort of 'master list' of what everybody had come up with.

So I put one together. I'm not going to say it's even remotely complete, but it does have enough for a good start.

U.S.S. Horizon - "I will see my dream come alive at last... I will touch the sky."
U.S.S. Aquarius - "This is the dawning of the age..."
U.S.S. Odyssey - "Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."
U.S.S. Earhart - "Every journey has a first step..."
U.S.S. Mariner - "...setting sail for the unknown."
U.S.S. Prometheus - "What hand dare seize the fire?"
U.S.S. Voyager - "For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see; Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..." -Alfred Tennyson
U.S.S. Defiant - "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." -John Masefield
U.S.S. Enterprise - "...to boldly go where no one has gone before."
U.S.S. Excelsior - "...no matter where you go, there you are."
U.S.S. Neptune - "I walk to the horizon, and there I find another..."
U.S.S. Hippocrates - "First, do no harm..."
U.S.S. Valkyrie - "...a victory is twice itself when the achiever brings home full numbers."
U.S.S. Katana - "What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it, what is the hand without a mind to command it?"
U.S.S. Roswell - "The truth is out there..."
U.S.S. Vesuvius - "Fortune favors the brave." -Pllny the Elder
U.S.S. Geneva - "Serving to protect those in need, and explore the unknown; always investigating and challenging space and the limits of what we believe."
U.S.S. Scorpius - "Defend for security, defend for freedom."
U.S.S. Apache - "If you want peace, prepare for war." -Vegetius
U.S.S. Artemis - "In War, Resolution; in Defeat, Defiance; in Victory, Magnanimity; in Peace, Goodwill." -Winston Churchill
U.S.S. Arondight - "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." -Henry David Thoreau
U.S.S. Pharoh - "And the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home." -Columbus
U.S.S. Seleya - "Be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels not of trade, but of thought." -Thoreau
U.S.S. Delphyne - "From legends past and legends to be, may our ever-searching spirits be cast into the vastness of space... We seek our knowledge against mortal time we race. Peace and freedom we pledge."
U.S.S. Talwar - "Expect problems and eat them for breakfast." -Montapert
U.S.S. Elara - "Steadfast for freedom."
U.S.S. Hayden - "One can never consent to creep when one feels the impulse to soar." -Keller
U.S.S. Scimitar - "The search for truth is more precious than its possession." -Einstein
U.S.S. Triton - "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." -Curran
U.S.S. Nighthawk - "Never start a fight, but always finish it."
U.S.S. Huron - "The discovery is not outside of you, but within you."
U.S.S. Pendragon - "Remember the past and learn from it... Savor the present for it is quickly gone... Look to the future for the wonders it unveils."
U.S.S. Don Johnson - "To bear goodwill across the plains and rivers of the universe."
U.S.S. Claymore - "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
U.S.S. Cherokee - "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." -Ecclesiates 3-1
U.S.S. Europa - "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
U.S.S. Sharikahr - "Time is the path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both." -Surak
U.S.S. Quirinus - "The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." -Proust
U.S.S. Andromeda - "To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." -Confucius
U.S.S. Luna - "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
U.S.S. Broadsword - "The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts." -Edmund Burke
U.S.S. Minotaur - "Ad astra."
U.S.S. Pavonis - "Only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain." -Richard M. Nixon
U.S.S. Itasca - "We must move forward to preserve in peace what we have won through war." -General Douglas MacArthur
U.S.S. Paula Greene - "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
U.S.S. Olympus - "Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby can you be the director of your oppenent's fate." -Sun Tzu
U.S.S. Titan - "Above and beyond."
U.S.S. Gryphon - "Legend, like history, can be distorted by time, robbed of truth by cynicism - yet be gifted with splendor by imagination." -Iris Johansen
U.S.S. Drakon - "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" -Smaug
U.S.S. Epiphany - "...to see on the event horizon of a single perfect moment."
U.S.S. Valiant - "I swear to you, I will change the world."
U.S.S. Buchanan - "I too will set my face to the wind and cast my handfull of seed on high." -Fiona Macleod
U.S.S. Indomitable - "What matter the wounds to a knight errant? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!" -Don Quixote
U.S.S. Saskatchewan - "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are"
U.S.S. Agamemnon - "Fear nothing, but dishonour in each other's eyes" Agamemnon, The Iliad
U.S.S. Harbinger - "Deny Thy Father, And Refuse Thy Name..."
U.S.S. Mustang - "I have not yet begun to fight!" - John Paul Jones
U.S.S. Thresher - "May she say with just pride, I have done the state some service."
U.S.S. Champion - "I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh..."
U.S.S. Leeds - "Appeasement is not our policy. Peace is our policy." -Flt. Adm. Heihachiro Nogura
U.S.S. Kerouac - "Everything was behind him, and ahead of him was the ragged and ecstatic joy of pure being."
U.S.S. Shangri-La - "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."
U.S.S. Starfire - "I was born aeons ago before anything human was known"
U.S.S. Anne Boleyn - "I would not be a queen for all the world."
U.S.S. Buran - "Storm-clouds whirl and storm-clouds scurry; from behind them pale moonlight flickers where the snowflakes hurry. Dark the sky and dark the night."
U.S.S. Ambassador - "One person with a belief is equal to ninety-nine who have only interests."
U.S.S. Ark Royal - "If war is the key, what door will it open? If peace is the answer, then what's the question?"
U.S.S. Godspeed - "Resolve to be thyself - and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery."
U.S.S. Gaia - "World, Nature, Universe's Essence, with secret trembling, to the end I will thy long and moving service in tears of happiness attend."
U.S.S. Andromeda - "We shall find Peace, we shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds." - Anton Checkhov
U.S.S. Hermes - "...herald of Olympus"
U.S.S. Istanbul - "Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople..." -They Might Be Giants
U.S.S. Korolev - "I am part of all that I have met" -Alfred Tennyson
U.S.S. Merced - "No rest for the never-weary"
U.S.S. Renaissance - "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements." - Zefram Cochrane
U.S.S. Sequoia - "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - L. M. Alcott
U.S.S. Wambundu - "Tis nobler to lose honor to save the lives of men than it is to gain honor by taking them" - David Borenstein
U.S.S. Breadalbane - "Duty, honor, country - Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying point to build courage when courage seems to fail, to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, to create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
U.S.S. Akureiri - "They were trapped between fire and ice -- until Lucifer exploded in their sky and opened up their universe."
U.S.S. Jezebel - "When men think and beleive in one set of symbols and act in ways which are contrary to their professed and conscious ideas, confusion and insincerity are bound to set in."
U.S.S. Einthoven - "In nothing do men approach so nearly to the gods as doing good to men."
U.S.S. Birkenhead - "So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, soldier an' sailor, too..."
U.S.S. Constitution - "...in order to form a more perfect Union..."
U.S.S. Demeter - "When a man has pity on all living creatures, then only is he noble."
U.S.S. King George V - "I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through th years to come than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."
U.S.S. Jericho - "Sing we merrily unto God our strength - make a cheerful noise unto the God of Jacob..."
U.S.S. Lance Of Longinus - "This is not the end. This is not the beginning of the end. But this is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
U.S.S. Exeter - "Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty, and dies with chaos."
U.S.S. Aleksandr Nevsky - "Arise, you Russian people, in a just battle, in a fight to the death; arise, you people free and brave, defend out fair native land!"
U.S.S. Kongo - "...thrice the Father of Heaven split the mountains apart with his thunderbolt."
U.S.S. Kaitlin - "I saw the flaring atom-streams and torrents of her myriad universe, ruining along the illimitable inane..."
U.S.S. Colossus - "Oh my god, it's full of stars..."
U.S.S. Resistance - "Resistance is NOT futile."
U.S.S. Queen Anne's Revenge - "I will do such things -- what they are yet, I know not -- but they shall be the terrors of the Earth."
U.S.S. Galahad - "One Venturous game my hand has won today - another, gallants, yet remains to play." -Homer
U.S.S. Dawntreader - "I and this mystery here we stand." -Walt Whitman
U.S.S. Wayfarer - "Where we go one, we go all."
U.S.S. Combatant - "There is a peace that comes only on the other side of war; if that battle must come, I will fight it."
U.S.S. Zaneryan - "I too have lived a life the sage's way and traveled roads once all too familiar."
U.S.S. Titan - "I have held a torch in the darkness to glance upon a truth unknown."
U.S.S. Solstice - "We turned our eyes toward the heavens, and with outstreched fingers, we touched the face of God."
U.S.S. Gilliand - "Thus do wise men reflect and, though distressed, are not overwhelmed."
U.S.S. Caduceus - "With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my art." -Hippocratic Oath
U.S.S. Sequence - "One sword at least thy rights shall guard, one faithful harp shall praise thee."
U.S.S. Shiloh - "I turned me to the right hand, and set my mind of the other pole, and saw four stars never yet seen by the first people." -Dante
U.S.S. Hawks - "A gathering of angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..."
U.S.S. Cadence - "For where you go I shall go, and where you spend the night I shall spend the night. Your people will be my people, and your God my God" -Ruth 1:16
U.S.S. Omar Khayyam - "The moving finger writes..."
U.S.S. Oppenheimer - "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds..."
U.S.S. Paragon - "A closed mind is the greatest waste."

The Drakon and Epiphany are, if you'll recall, from my part of the various "You're the Admiral!" threads. I don't actually have images for them, but I -have- put together ASCII-art versions of same, which I figure is close enough for government work.

Edit: the captain of the Valiant is one Utena Tenjou. Just so's you appreciate it properly.

Edit2: My, this is growing fast. [Eek!]

Blessed be.
-n
(Contributions more than welcome.)

[ April 26, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Valles ]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valles:
the dedication plaques of their fictional (or sometimes canon) starships

I'd be worried if the two terms were mutually exclusive.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
U.S.S. Hathaway "...no matter where you go, there you are."

Okay, wherever you got this one, they ripped it right off the wall of the Excelsior's bridge. Still love the quote, though.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"U.S.S. Broadsword "The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by
parts." -Edmund Burke" I think you mean, "expedience".

Two of the favorite ones I've used are:

U.S.S. Can't Remember - "What matter wounds to a knight errant? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!" -Don Quixote

U.S.S. Buchanan - "I too will set my face to the wind and cast my handfull of seed on high." -Fiona Macleod

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who is Fiona Macleod, apart form someone who got a lot of seeds blown into her face? 8)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once made a plaque for the U.S.S. Saskatchewan - "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are". Obviously, it was a science vessel [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Agamemnon - �Fear nothing, but dishonour in each other�s eyes� Agamemnon, The Iliad

From an RPG I'm involved in.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a lot of dedication plaques that I made with a bunch of quotes, but they were deleted a while back so I forgot them. The ones that I didn't delete are:

USS Harbinger - "Deny Thy Father, And Refuse Thy Name..."
USS Mustang - "I have not yet begun to fight!" - Lord Horatio Nelson
USS Thresher - "May she say with just pride, I have done the state some service."

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Valles
Ex-Member

"USS Can't Remember"? Was the ship actually called that, or am I allowed to make something up?

Oh, did another ASCII today - USS Champion - "I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh..."

Blessed be.
-n
(Wondering how many people will get that.)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship has a name... I just can't remember what I called it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very spiffy!

quote:
U.S.S. Vesuvius "Fortune favors the brave." -Pllny the Elder

As used on DS9, "brave" might better be translated as "bold". The Latin is "Audentes fortuna iuvat", though, so you could also go with "audacious" or something similar.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!

Someone saw them! [Smile]

The first dozen of the 'Master List' Are MY ships! Whoopee!

Those plaques are really fun to do.

BJ_O: The Hathaway had the Buckaroo quote first. The Excelsior ripped it out of the Hathaway's engine room! [Wink]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, made plaques for my models. My master list is on my computer along with who they're attributed to, so...yeah. I tried to assign them according to the name

Some of them are better than others.

USS Kerouac: "Everything was behind him, and ahead of him was the ragged and ecstatic joy of pure being."

USS Shangri-La: "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."

USS Starfire: "I was born aeons ago before anything human was known"

USS Anne Boleyn: "I would not be a queen for all the world."

USS Buran: "Storm-clouds whirl and storm-clouds scurry; from behind them pale moonlight flinkers where the snowflakes hurry. Dark the sky and dark the night."

USS Ambassador: "One person with a beleif is equal to 99 who have only interests."

USS Ark Royal: "If war is the key, what door will it open? Is peace the answer, then what's the question?"

USS Godspeed: "Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery."

USS Gaia: World, Nature, Universe's Essence, with secret trembling, to the end I will thy long and moving service in tears of ahppiness attend."

I have tons more.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Leeds - "Appeasement is not our policy. Peace is our policy." Flt. Adm. Heihachiro Nogura

From a really old and really crappy story I wrote.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Valles
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
The ship has a name... I just can't remember what I called it.

Mind if I invent one?

Blessed be.
-n
(I'm thinking, Intransigent...)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps