Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Oh, I have a little list... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh, I have a little list...
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some quotes from the ASDB ships:

USS Andromeda - "We shall find Peace, we shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds." - Anton Checkhov

USS Hermes - "...herald of Olympus"

USS Istanbul - "Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople..." - They Might Be Giants [Smile]

USS Korolev - "I am part of all that I have met" - Alfred Tennyson

USS Merced - "No rest for the never-weary"

USS Renaissance - "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own judgements." - Zefram Cochrane

USS Sequoia - "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - L. M. Alcott

USS Wambundu - "Tis nobler to lose honor to save the lives of men than it is to gain honor by taking them" - David Borenstein

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And more...

USS Breadalbane: "Duty, honor, country: Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying point to build courage when courage seems to fail, to regain faith when there seems to be little casue for faith, to create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

USS Akureyri: "They were trapped between fire and ice--until Lucifer exploded in their sky and opened up their universe."

USS Jezebel: "When men think and beleive in one set of symbols and act in ways which are contrary to their professed and conscious ideas, confusion and insincerity are bound to set in."

USS Einthoven: "In nothing do men approach so nearly to the gods as doing good to men."

USS Birkenhead: "So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, soldier an' sailor, too..."

USS Constitution: "...in order to form a more perfect Union..."

USS Demeter: "When a man has pity on all living creatures, then only is he noble."

USS King George V: "I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through th years to come than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

USS Jericho: "Sing we merrily unto God our strength: make a cheerful noise unto the God of Jacob..."

USS Lance Of Longinus: "This is not the end. This is not the beginning of the end. But this is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

USS Exeter: "Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty, and dies with chaos."

USS Aleksandr Nevsky: "Arise, you Russian people, in a just battle, in a fight to the death; arise, you people free and brave, defend out fair native land!"

USS Kongo: "...thrice the Father of Heaven split the mountains apart with his thunderbolt."

USS Kaitlin: "I saw the flaring atom-streams and torrents of her myriad universe, ruining along the illimitable inane..."

USS Queen Anne's Revenge: "I will do such things--what they are yet, I know not--but they shall be the terrors of the Earth."

[ April 05, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have not yet begun to fight!" was said by John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy, not by Lord Horation Nelson, famous and beloved Admiral of the Royal Navy.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry the U.S.S. Don Johnson!?!?!?!?! They guy from Miami Vice and Nash Bridges??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
"I have not yet begun to fight!" was said by John Paul Jones, father of the American Navy, not by Lord Horation Nelson, famous and beloved Admiral of the Royal Navy.

I made that plauqe years ago and never bothered to check that. Oh well...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... I dug up my little ship list... here are a few of my favorites from it:

U.S.S. Galahad, NCC-63485, Akira Class:
"One venturous game my hand has won today - another, gallants, yet remains to play." -Homer

U.S.S. Dawntreader, NCC-9771, Constellation Class: "I and this mystery here we stand." -Walt Whitman

U.S.S. Wayfarer, NCC-181, Daedalus Class:
"Where we go one, we go all."

U.S.S. Combatant, NCC-74052, Defiant Class:
"There is a peace that comes only on the other side of war; if that battle must come, I will fight it."

U.S.S. Zaneryan, NCC-71995, Galaxy Class:
"I too have lived a life the sage's way and traveled roads once all too familiar."

U.S.S. Titan, NCC-61752, Nebula Class:
"I have held a torch in the darkness to glance upon a truth unknown."

U.S.S. Solstice, NCC-72338, Nova Class:
"We turned our eyes toward the heavens, and with outstretched fingers, we touched the face of God."

U.S.S. Gilliland, NCC-53724, Oberth Class:
"Thus do wise men reflect and, though distressed, are not overwhelmed."

U.S.S. Caduceus, NCC-58399, Olympic Class:
"With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my art." -Hippocratic Oath

U.S.S. Sequence, NCC-81482, Sabre Class:
"One sword at least thy rights shall guard, one faithful harp shall praise thee."

U.S.S. Shiloh, NCC-77101, Sovereign Class:
"I turned me to the right hand, and set my mind on the other pole, and saw four stars never yet seen by the first people." -Dante

U.S.S. Hawks, NCC-74566, Yeager Class:
"A gathering of angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said�"

U.S.S. Cadence, NCC-34221, Istanbul Class:
"For where you go I shall go, and where you spend the night I shall spend the night. Your people will be my people, and your God my God"
-Ruth 1:16

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Valles
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked Tribe is amused.

Those seeking to join in the Make-Yer-Own starship frenzy will find Aphorisms Galore! rather useful, I think I think.

Blessed be,
-n

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it, what is the hand without
a mind to command it?"

I like this. I'm stealing it for the dedication plaque of the Okazaki.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh you're doing an Okazaki!?! I did a ship called the Okazaki WAAAAAY back when!!

Masao was pleased - it's his surname!

I named it after the Okazaki fragment guy in genetics!

Aban:

The U.S.S. Dawn Treader - that is SMASHINGLY FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooo!

What about a quote that is something from "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"?

"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't think of anything from the book [Smile] I'd have to go back and read it again, but it would likely have to be something that Aslan said. Him being all wise and cool [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it, what is the hand without
a mind to command it?"

I like this. I'm stealing it for the dedication plaque of the Okazaki.

Here's the Starship that MSFM modeler Ron originally used that quote for:

USS Katana

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Valles
Ex-Member

A thought I've had - might the occaisional appearance of aberrant registration numbers be explained as a new constuction ship with the same name as an earlier vessel -also- inheriting the old ship's registry? So that, 'officially' or 'spiritually' or whatever, they were the same ship?

This is prompted by a Columbia memorial I saw, so:

USS Columbia, NCC-107 - "Their cause greater than the sun, each crewmember a star brighter than those they now touch."

Blessed be.
-n

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that Columbia was OV-102. And it would only explain the second Defiant class Defiant (ex-Sao Paolo)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Valles
Ex-Member

quote:
Except that Columbia was OV-102.
D'oh!

*sigh* You'd think that about this of all things, I'd remember to do my research.

quote:
And it would only explain the second Defiant class Defiant (ex-Sao Paolo)
I see no reason to assume that we would have seen the 'original' ships of the name. The succession of Enterprises would perhaps be due to the fact that this is a tradition, rather than an official policy, and the tradition re: the Enterprise series was established in parallel to the more common modus operandi - because tradition need not neccessarily be consistent or logical.

Blessed be.
-n

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Even with the registries of the Enterprises, though, each one is different. The different letters at the end are there for that very reason.... to make the registries different. Having two ships with the same registry number would defeat the purpose of having a registry system, namely to keep track of all the ships.

Case in point: in "Relics" when Scotty asked the computer for a recreation of the bridge of the enterprise, the computer didn't know which one he was taking about until he specified it by registry number.

I can (barely) accept that Sisko painted the late Defiant's number on the Sao Paulo just to be a smart ass, but I believe it was probably changed back to the Sao Paulo's registry after the battle.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps