Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Unfinished business (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Unfinished business
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://members.lycos.nl/harrysdump/trek/unfinished.jpg

An overview of some of my unfinished, abandoned or just plain forgotten ships.

The Tau Ceti started off alright, but I couldn't (and still can't) a satisfying saucer/neck configuration.
The Bradbury was a quick attempt at drawing the Voyager protoype model, abandoned because it looked like ****.
The Madison was almost finished, until I realized that it was utterly useless. There's no gravity, so what's the use of those chutes?
The Klushantsev (named after a Soviet moviemaker, IIRC) only exists as a half-finished Ambassador-era saucershape. Actually, I kind of like it still. But refining it and drawing other views is mightily difficult (TNG ships are really much more work than TOS ships).
The TOS-era sentry is just of such a low quality that I'd have to start all over.
I kind of forgot about that orbital plane. Isn't of the best quality, but I might just redo it sometime.
The Normandy class was supposed to be some sort of ship involved in planetary attacks, IIRC.
The Andoria evolved from some pencil sketches. The saucer is sucky, and I abandoned it because I realized that the ship only looks good in a side view.
The Alliance class was heavily influenced by Bernd's work. I even used the nacelles of his Sirius class! Never finished because it looks silly.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of like the Madison Class, eye catching to me...

Same with the Andoria Class, maybe redfine the saucer to be a bit like the proposed Nova class in the TNG:TM.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Madison looks fine to me, those drop chutes could be for transfering mass cargo into planet bound storage bins, ideal for mass foodstuffs like grain or seafood.
They could be used to transport large ship or station components between fabrication plants and ship yards.
They could also be used to drop auto-guided cargo pods from high orbit, a quick way of resupplying isolated colonies and outposts without the need for power hungry cargo transporters or to simply cut down the time taken on long haul border runs.

This looks like fun, maybe I'll dish up a set of half finished or abandoned projects too. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the Madison Class. It reminds me of the Robot Cargo Ships from the TAS episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles." I think I have that right. Anyway, that is a good looking ship. [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dig your take on the Bradbury class (I can't stand the ASDB version). It looks llike it uses the hull and nacelles from the Voyager study model.
The Normandy class would make for a cool colony ship (or possibly a huge heavy mining ship).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The Bradbury was a quick attempt at drawing the Voyager protoype model, abandoned because it looked like ****.

[Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still looks better than the other Bradbury design though! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madison is a pretty good design; also the Andoria.

Reverand: Yes please!!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok kids, here's my bag of leftovers!

Stalled Projects

Going from top to bottom we have;

The Independence, a ship I was designing back when we thought the Challenger might look something like this. It was meant to be a not-so-kitbashed interpretation of that configuration.
Abandoned because the real Challenger was discovered and because it still looked like a kitbash.

Next we have two attempts at correcting my most successful failure, the Hopper.
The first one just looked shite and the second one was a little too cumbersome.
I may yet go back and finish the Mk3.

Over on the right is something I designed for a larger project that never really got off the ground. It was meant to be part of a short series of 3D rendered movies depicting the Breen attack on Earth.
(Another leftover of this project is Kenny's Breen Fighter)

Below the Hoppers is something I threw together with elements that I liked from the Defiant, Olympic, Nova and Zadura classes. I never could come up with a side view that I was happy with (a common problem when designing a ship from scratch) so the project remains on hold until I get some inspiration.

Below the Nimrod is my own attempt to depict the Proto-Voyager. Like some others here I'm not a huge fan of Lance's Bradbury either so I started this as an alternative back when there was still hope that the "Intrepid-Variant" from the DS9 tech manual was infact the Proto-Voyager.
Then we saw what the Elkins really looked like and that hope disappeared.
Still I may yet go back and try again, mainly because I can't abide that unholy, double hulled Excelsior/Sovereign amalgam.

Lastly we have Geordie's Hover Car from (TNG)"All Good Things". Abandoned because there really wasn't any point in it.

Well that was fun! Anyone else want to air their dirty laundry? Bernd, Masao, I'm pointing at you. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Like some others here I'm not a huge fan of Lance's Bradbury either
[Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Well that was fun! Anyone else want to air their dirty laundry? Bernd, Masao, I'm pointing at you. [Wink]

Most of my dirty laundry eventually ends up clean by evolving into finished designs. I don't really have too many abandoned projects. But I'll look through my hard disc and see if there's anything embarassing I can show.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, I really like your Independence and Nimrod Classes. It looks like you put a great deal of thought into them. It would be cool to see them furthered along to completion. I know that I have seen your Nimrod design before, but this one looks more complete. Keep up the great work. You have a touch when it comes to designs starships and shuttles. Both you and Masao have good and well thought out design skills. Keep it up. [Wink]
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, this one was Minutiae Man's idea: http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/Dominator1.jpg

I blame this Gorn ship on my having just watched "Galaxy Quest." http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/gorn2.jpg

Diplomatic Cruiser: Double hulls = Evil http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/diplocruise1.jpg

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... that Dominator idea was probably after I suggested that you try to modify the NX-01 design for the Museum. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev: I dig that planetary defense platform. I would love to see a finish on that.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps