Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Registry Prefixes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Registry Prefixes
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*checks thread list*
*notices there hasn't been any "creativity" threads yet*

Let's create some registry prefixes! It's pretty simple to put 3 letters together and get a prefix, but what do they signify? The existing prefixes that we know of are:

• NX: Federation, Starfleet, Experimental
  • NCC: Federation, Starfleet, Active Service
  • NCV: Federation, Starfleet, Timeship
  • NAR: Federation, non-Starfleet, Active Service (?)
  • NDT: Federation, non-Starfleet, Transport (goods ?)
  • NFT: Federation, non-Starfleet, Transport (peoples ?)
  • NGL: Federation, non-Starfleet, Freighter
  • NSP: Federation, non-Starfleet, Merchant (?)

For simplicity's sake, lets stick with creating Federation ones. I've already created one, and my friend made one, too. They are:

• NSI: Federation, non-Starfleet, Passenger Liner
  • NXC: Federation, Starfleet, Active Service (?)

The first one is my own creation. My friend never really told me what NXC stands for, but in his little fleet his flagships all have NXC registries, so I'm assuming that it's some kind of Actve Service variant. So, let's get creative!

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page
"Go? Where are we going?"
"Where they went."
"Suppose they went nowhere."
"Then, this'll be your big chance to get away from it all"
-McCoy and Kirk, The Wrath of Khan

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited July 10, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, we've seen non-research ships with an NAR registry, and NSP could be merchant ships (as the T'Pau was one).

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*revises list*

Better, Frank?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, NAR ships aren't even scientific ships...there was the shuttle from STVI, the Mariposa, and the Nenebek (sp?).

------------------
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

*revises list yet again*

There. That should cover all bases....now is anyone going to actually create a new registry prefix, or are we all just going to nitpick my conjectural list?

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page
"Go? Where are we going?"
"Where they went."
"Suppose they went nowhere."
"Then, this'll be your big chance to get away from it all"
-McCoy and Kirk, The Wrath of Khan

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited July 10, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to nitpick... :-)

I always figured NSP was a Vulcan prefix, though the evidence is somewhat speculative.

I suppose we'll probably never see the Feds use NAD, NUT, or NIP, will we?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. *grin*

------------------
"They gave the ferret a teleprompter!"
-Louie the Lizard, Budweiser commercial

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I can't resist!]

Of course, we will very likely see the NRD prefix, presumably on the Gates class starships. I expect they will transport nothing but cash.

------------------
"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, everyone knows that Bill Gates moved to the delta quadrant and founded the Borg Collective as a subsidiary of Microsoft. I don't think they would name a ship for him... :-)

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Au contraire, oh, boardmeister.

Behold: "Star Trek Lost Episodes" transcript.

Horrifying, isn't it?

------------------
"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Ah, yes, that one... I always liked that part about all the lawyers being thrown into the sun during the "Great Awakening"... *L*

------------------

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of my episodes of "Star Trek Sovereign," I introduced a civillian version of the Danube-class. I gave it the registry NC774438.

To put it simply, the way I understand the NAR and such registries is that they are civilian vessels, but are still under the auspices (ooo, big word for me) of Starfleet or some other Federation agency. The registry I mentioned above is COMPLETELY civilian. Think of it as the number that would be on a car license plate.

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Ooh, it's an airplane!

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::falls into very old thread, brushes off::

Dammit ...

------------------
The Dominion has been defeated, but the hardest job will be building the peace ...

Join Cpt. Connor H. Macy and the crew of the <i>Tokyo</i> as they attempt to forge the bonds of trust ...

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about NXX, for covert ops. Of course, these numbers would not be in any database, or painted on a hull, but would only be in use within 'The Section'

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Enterprise, that's six numbers... Are you sure that's correct?

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps