Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Registry Prefixes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Registry Prefixes
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say it would follow a private boat type thing.
The SS Hendrix FC65431, SS for basic starship the FC for Federation Charter followed by the charter issue number. I am only guessing as to what the MC# is on boats, Maritime Charter or some such.

Shuttle might follow aviation lines, like the plane I was taught to fly in, N 23666 X. A Cessna 172.

------------------
**...****...**

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC Fasa had some extra stuff along those lines.
If I might suggest...

NX - an experimental vessel, first of her class
NXC - a testbed vessel, used to test upgrades for vessels of a given class in service

And I'm sure I'll think of more!

Actually... I think NAR was postulated to be "Naval Auxiliary/Reserve" or "Naval Active Reserve", since the ships we've seen with that prefix were Starfleet ships in use by civilians.

As for Microsoft and the Borg, I leave you with this quip:

quote:
Microsoft are like a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, the Borg do the marketing and the Ferengi do the programming.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a civilian shuttle... Of course it's correct.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since those prefixes aren't going to be used consistently by the actual episode writers anyway, I think we should give as much leeway as possible in their interpretation. My favorite is a scheme where N means Federation rego and the two following letters specify the nominal operating organization, with no relation to ship type or mission.

CC = Starfleet Operations
CC-F = SF Operations, logistics (SS Huron of TAS fame)
CC-G = SF Operations, agricultural (the grain drones of TAS)
X = Starfleet R&D
AR = planet Earth (or a suborganization thereof)
SP = planet Vulcan (ditto)
FT = planet Bogusia (ditto)
GL = planet Foolius (ditto)

It might be that there is systematicsm to the letters, so that A-anything is Earth and S-anything is Vulcan (for example, NAC is Earth local defences, NAR is Earth private/corporate civilian etc, NSC is Vulcan local defences, NSR is Vulcan private/corporate, etc.). Or then Earth is allocated letter pairs AA-AR, while Andor has AS-BG, Tellar has BH-BZ etc. (See, I did invent new prefixes in this reply after all! ) Foreign ships will be given prefixes beginning with non-N if some regulations require their proper registration to Federation authorities (YLT for Yridian ships frequenting Fed space, for example).

Then again, the letter pairs need not be systematic at all.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps