Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Saladin class logos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Saladin class logos
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had also prepared a 'simple' DP patch, along the lines of the Galaxy one, but I couldn't get it to look right [Smile]

Oh, and for all CorelDRAW users, here's the trick to get easy rounded triangles: Draw a regular triangle, and give it a HUGE outline. Then, in the "Outline Pen Settings" of the triangle, give it round corners! For smaller triangles, just adjust the outline width.

-
 -

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.. let's just do all of FJ's ships here.

Here's the Ptolemy (really simplistic logos here)
 -
 -

As you can see, I've changed the registry from 3801 to 1801. Fits better, IMNSHO.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I feel I have to play Devil's Advocate and ask: Why would it fit better to change an already existing, and fairly well known, registy for the Ptolemy class, but not the Saladin class? They were all approved at the same time - and likely built at the same time - , but the Constitution class was supposed to have been built first. Why not change the destroyer's registry to an "1800" series? Using your line of thinking, shouldn't the Saladin's have a higher registry number, then...?

Not to insult, but your decision seems based more on arbitrary thinking than logic.

And great job, BTW. Wish I could do some stuff like that.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are today's Carrier, Battleship, Destroyer, etcetera numbers consecutive? I was looking at the Navy Hull Classification System and it looks like they assign a block of numbers to the construction order, which they try to keep consecutive to the last group of the same tyme of ships. That site has lots of intersting insight to re-classifications and numbering.

Look at this list of the CVN hulls:
  • Class Hull Name
    CVN 65 CVN 65 ENTERPRISE
    CVN 68 CVN 68 NIMITZ
    CVN 68 CVN 69 DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
    CVN 68 CVN 70 CARL VINSON
    CVN 68 CVN 71 THEODORE ROOSEVELT
    CVN 68 CVN 72 ABRAHAM LINCOLN
    CVN 68 CVN 73 GEORGE WASHINGTON
    CVN 68 CVN 74 JOHN C. STENNIS
    CVN 68 CVN 75 HARRY S. TRUMAN
    CVN 68 CVN 76 RONALD REAGAN
    CVN 68 CVN 77 GEORGE H. W. BUSH
Compair that to the list of Battleships:
  • Class Hull Name
    BB 57 BB 60 ALABAMA
    BB 61 BB 61 IOWA
    BB 61 BB 62 NEW JERSEY
    BB 61 BB 63 MISSOURI
    BB 61 BB 64 WISCONSIN
    BB 61 BB 65 ILLINOIS
    BB 61 BB 66 KENTUCKY
    BB 67 BB 67 MONTANA
    BB 67 BB 68 OHIO
    BB 67 BB 69 MAINE
    BB 67 BB 70 NEW HAMPSHIRE
    BB 67 BB 71 LOUISIANA

and these Destroyers:
  • Class Hull Name
    DD 931 DD 944 MULLINNIX
    DD 945 DD 945 HULL
    DD 945 DD 946 EDSON
    DD 945 DD 948 MORTON
    DD 945 DD 950 RICHARD S. EDWARDS
    DD 945 DD 951 TURNER JOY
    DD 963 DD 963 SPRUANCE
    DD 963 DD 964 PAUL F. FOSTER
    DD 963 DD 965 KINKAID
    DD 963 DD 966 HEWITT

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no argument from me there. I'm w/you in that regard, if you were directing your comment at me, "Woozle". That was actually the point I was going for, in case I was clear as mud.

I'm thinking that this is where "Franz" Joseph Schnaubelt (FJD) was going with his registry numbers, as well. Basically, blocks of registry numbers were "reserved" for the construction of those ships. I don't believe he was trying for a truely, well defined logical explanation beyond that. Conjecture on my part, obviously....

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, you skipped some carriers. My guess is that they are missing from your list merely because they are not nuclear (and hence CV-##, instead of CVN-##). CV-66 is America (decomissioned) and CV-67 is John F. Kennedy. Both were built after Enterprise and before Nimitz.

As for the destroyers, maybe Congress cancelled some hulls during construction (numbers are assigned when the ship is first ordered).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Look at this list of the CVN hulls:
  • Class Hull Name
    CVN 65 CVN 65 ENTERPRISE
    CVN 68 CVN 68 NIMITZ
    CVN 68 CVN 69 DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
    CVN 68 CVN 70 CARL VINSON
    CVN 68 CVN 71 THEODORE ROOSEVELT
    CVN 68 CVN 72 ABRAHAM LINCOLN
    CVN 68 CVN 73 GEORGE WASHINGTON
    CVN 68 CVN 74 JOHN C. STENNIS
    CVN 68 CVN 75 HARRY S. TRUMAN
    CVN 68 CVN 76 RONALD REAGAN
    CVN 68 CVN 77 GEORGE H. W. BUSH

Enterprise is a famous name, Nimitz was an Admiral, and most of the people were Presidents, but who were John C. Stennis and Carl Vinson?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Named after Congressman Vinson and Senator Stennis.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Named after Congressman Vinson and Senator Stennis.

Ah, so it's a politician thing.

Interesting that SF doesn't seem to do this. The only ships named after people seem to be named after famous SF people, like Chekov and Archer.

In fact, come to think of it, SF personnel never seem to mention politics at all...

Perhaps SF operates separately from the political side of the UFP, sort of quasi-autonomously.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps SF operates separately from the political side of the UFP, sort of quasi-autonomously.
Uh, no.

People in starships with massive firepower roaming space with no political control.

Hmmmmm seems to be a bad baaad idea to me.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Well, you actually do have a precedent for political naming of vessels in the Trek universe - the "Vulcan" registry shuttle we see in ST:TMP is named for Surak, founder of the Logic Movement on Vulcan, and I believe there are one or two other StarFleet vessels with Vulcan names, as well as the Excelsior class starship Gorkon, named in honor of Klingon Chancellor Gorkon who was assassinated in ST:VI.
Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Styrofoaman:
quote:
Uh, no.

People in starships with massive firepower roaming space with no political control.

Hmmmmm seems to be a bad baaad idea to me.

I never said it was a good idea, did I? [Smile]

Who makes the decisions regarding the elimination of the Borg? Admiral Necheyev. Who organises defence of Earth and doesn't notify anyone? Admiral Paris. Who makes Worf an ambassador? Admiral Ross. Who decides to help the Klingons in TUC? The SF CinC. How many of the Federation Council Members in TVH are SF Admirals? Lots.

Some of these are probably wrong/inaccurate, but you get the picture. [Smile] We never see anyone non-Starfleet make any big decisions except in Homefront, which shows an unopposed (except by Sisko) SF takeover of Earth.

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
Well, you actually do have a precedent for political naming of vessels in the Trek universe - the "Vulcan" registry shuttle we see in ST:TMP is named for Surak, founder of the Logic Movement on Vulcan, and I believe there are one or two other StarFleet vessels with Vulcan names, as well as the Excelsior class starship Gorkon, named in honor of Klingon Chancellor Gorkon who was assassinated in ST:VI.

But that's a shuttle, not a ship. Aren't shuttles named by the ship's captain? (If not, Voyager must have a lot of unnamed shuttles hanging around). It's also more of a "religious" or "philosophical" naming than a political one, kind of like USS Aristotle perhaps. And Gorkon wasn't a Federation politician, he was a Klingon.

Another thing is that SF doesn't follow the US practice of naming a ship with the full name of a person - it's USS Chekhov, not USS Pavel Chekhov or USS Pavel D Chekov (I don't know if he has a middle name, but he's Russian, so he should have a patronymic). I think it sounds a lot better this way. USS George H W Bush is so unwieldly, and definately doesn't sound like a warship.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another thing is that SF doesn't follow the US practice of naming a ship with the full name of a person
I wouldn't say that. We've got the John Muir, Nils Bohr, and Thomas Paine.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Phoenix
Member # 966

Double post.
Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Another thing is that SF doesn't follow the US practice of naming a ship with the full name of a person
I wouldn't say that. We've got the John Muir, Nils Bohr, and Thomas Paine.
And against those 3 we have:
(Abu Abdallah Muhammad Ibn Jabir Ibn Sinan) al-Batani (al-Harrani)
(Jonathan) Archer
(Neil) Armstrong
(Steven) Biko
(Rob) Bonchune
(Chesley) Bonestell
(Ray) Bradbury
(Walter Houser) Brattain
(Pavel) Chekov
(Clifford) Clavin
(Zefram) Cochrane
(Nicolaus) Copernicus
(Hern�n) Cort�z
(Davey) Crockett
(Dan) Curry
(Sir Francis) Drake
(Judy) Elkins
(Robert) Emden
(David Glasgow) Farragut
(Sir Alexander) Fleming
(Anthony) Fredrickson
(Mohandas Karamchand) Gandhi
(Robert H.) Goddard
(Virgil I.) Grissom
(Anne) Hathaway
(Eleanor) Helin
(Sergey Pavlovich) Korolev
(Robert R.) Livingston
(Ferdinand) Magellan
(Sam) Malone
(Hermann) Oberth
(Norm) Peterson
(Grigory Aleksandrovich) Potemkin
(Sergey) Prokofiev
(Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata) Raman
(Edward) Rutledge
(Charles) Scovil
(Alan) Shepard
(Leo) Tolstoy
(Harry S) Truman
(Konstantin E.) Tsiolkovsky
(Arthur Wellesley, Duke of) Wellington
(Chuck) Yeager
(Emiliano) Zapata
(Grigori Konstantinovich) Zhukov

By the way, Spike, your website is very useful. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps