Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution Class - Phase II (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution Class - Phase II
Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
The only suggestion I would make would be to underline the registry on the nacelle, put "USS CONSTITUTION" underneath it in a smaller type and move the whole thing to the right of that groove instead of the left.

I think that the registry on the nacelle should choose either a NCC number or a ship's name. Is it better to place a ship's name on the nacelle, since the NCC number is on the engineering hull?

quote:
Also what is that oval feature on the underside of the primary hull?
If it's meant to be a forward phaser array then I'd move it forward a little more.

I think that the oval hollows on the undersurface of the saucer are the docking bay (or air-lock hatches).
Although the same hollow is in the engineering hull, it is written as "Bay 4" here. I am supposed that "Bay 1" to "Bay 3" is on the saucer section.

Engineering hull - Bay 4

Bay 1 to Bay 5

--------------------
"There are no three warp-engined or single warp-engined ships in Starfleet!".
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Although I don't know where this design fits in the 'real' timeline, it is a nice intermediate design.

I assume that the TMP Enterprise is the Constitution class of the phase III. Although the original Enterprise was due to be converted into the phase II, it assumes that it was converted into the newest phase III. In the last six months, the bridge, the officer's lounge, the planetary sensors and the photon torpedoes replaced the further newest thing.

Evolution chart

--------------------
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in TMP, we got "Phase III Refit"?

And 1701-A would still be a "Phase III Refit", perhaps "Phase III Refit 2"?

I could live with that. In fact, I could grab that and run, and add it to my little starship guide which will never see the light of the day.

The thrown-together ship from "Booby Trap" looks surprisingly good on that chart. Probably not an intended further development of Constitutions, though, but rather an offshoot design. Those holes in the saucer look too small to be doors, so perhaps they are sensor arrays instead. Heck, the corresponding "portholes" on the real Constitutions could be sensor arrays, too, solving the problem of their odd scaling and placement.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to the one with the 'balls' on the end of the nacelles from TOS?

Was there any TAS differences?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TAS ship was only supposedly different from the inside. Otherwise, standard TOS production fare - but without the "ball-less end grille" footage problem!

And to solve that problem, I'd just think of the balls as retractable, in the "The Cage", "WNMHGB" and TOS ships alike. They are great for stealthing the warp exhaust, but every now and then you have to ventilate (say, just before you enter planetary orbit, which is why the grillework shows in such shots specifically). The other differences between "WNMHGB" and TOS production ships don't really show up in those shots.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my balls retracted when I saw Uhura dancing naked in STV! [Eek!]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes.

The TAS Enterprise had some new consoles on the bridge, but also it managed to have a secondary turbolift exit on the bridge without any external clues.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Yikes.

The TAS Enterprise had some new consoles on the bridge, but also it managed to have a secondary turbolift exit on the bridge without any external clues.

I think that second door was meant to lead to a stairwell.

As for the inter-changeable nacelle caps; sure it sounds nice, but good luck design a workable, functional or even believable mechanism for that!
I just ignore the over use of stock footage and pretend that everything Post-WNMHGB and Pre-TMP stays the same.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting use of blue bussards, kinda leads into the Ent-B and Merced Class. [Wink]

--------------------
http://stmultiverse.homestead.com

Masaki
Member # 1030

Updated! - "Evolution chart"

Evolution chart

--------------------
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-1371? gag me.. most of us have come to our senses and realized the Republic shouldn't be a Constitution... here was mine from a few months back
 -

i feel a revision coming on...

(here's 3 pages of debate on the matter, BTW: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000931;p=1)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

- posted      Profile for coatlantis1745     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaptainMIke said:

"NCC-1371? gag me.. most of us have come to our senses and realized the Republic shouldn't be a Constitution... here was mine from a few months back"

No, everyone knows that Republic was originally commissioned as an Archon Class Star Cruiser in 2203, and later undewent an extensive refit program to Constitution Class specifications. [Smile]

Consider the can-o-worms opened anew!

--------------------
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by. . .

-John Masefield

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last three look the same!

What if the balls at the back of the nacelles ARE retractable or - they can be ditched... ION PODS anyone??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look closer on the last one, Andrew.
The impulse drive is larger, the torpedo bay has a twin aft launcher and the nacelle pylons are thicker and more sturdy.
That's as good as the Connie ever got.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coatlantis, that is ignoring the obvious evidence where the Republic appeared as a Baton Rouge-class cruiser in the Marvel comic series.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps