Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution Class - Phase II (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution Class - Phase II
Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I think he meant from the fanfilm...

Indeed. That is probably what he meant.

I wonder if there is a copy of that film running around somewhere... it'd be interesting to watch.

Yup, that's what I meant [Smile] Specifically, Probert's design for the Yorktown.

Cheers!

Jim.

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
quote:
quote:
I think he meant from the fanfilm...

Indeed. That is probably what he meant.

I wonder if there is a copy of that film running around somewhere... it'd be interesting to watch.

Yup, that's what I meant [Smile] Specifically, Probert's design for the Yorktown.
I'm still waiting to hear what this Yorktown is... as I'm not understanding it from the previous messages.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me that what's been said is that a UCLA student by the name of Stan Woo made a fanfilm called Yorktown II in which George Takei appeared and which also featured a Constitution-class variant designated as the Yorktown as well as a Klingon shuttle, both of which were designed by Mr. Probert...

...right?

quote:
quote:
In fact, there was a fan-film made by a UCLA student that proposed that the Yorktown had a similar design as a test-bed for the new linear intermix warp drive. I forgot it's name and have never seen it, but it was mentioned in an issue of Starlog long ago. George Takei was also in it, as he knew the student and did it as a favor.

Yorktown II made by Stan Woo.

Andrew Probert did the design work for the Yorktown and a Klingon shuttle.

I've never seen it - only read about it in the same issue of Starlog - but I'd love to see what the Yorktown looked like.

Anyone here know how to contact Mr Probert, maybe see if he'd provide an image?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^"Right, Spock?"

"Check."

"Right."

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seems to me that what's been said is that a UCLA student by the name of Stan Woo made a fanfilm called Yorktown II in which George Takei appeared and which also featured a Constitution-class variant designated as the Yorktown as well as a Klingon shuttle, both of which were designed by Mr. Probert...

...right?

Yeap, you've pretty much got it surrounded.

Give me some time to dig out that old Starlog and I'll post the drawing of the Klingon shuttle.

Cheers!

--------------------

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

Here's the pic (no apologies for the 16 year old magazine)
 -

And the article that it came from, � Starlog June 1987
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~jimini/Sulu's_solo_trek.jpg

Enjoy [Smile]

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can find nothing on a Stan Woo, Ron Lennstrom, "Yorktown II: A Time To Heal" or any relation of any of the above to George Takei in the Internet Movie Database, unfortunately. Would love to get my hands on a copy of this and Stan Woo's other fan produced film mentioned in the article above. I wonder if this is something that Paramount went out and nailed w/C&D orders. Bastards....

Thanks for posting that, Jim. Much appreciated!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim,

Do you mind if I use your link over at TrekBBS to pose a request for additional information on this movie? I have a theory that it was either never completed or that ParaBorg swept down before the movie could ever see the inside of a Trek Con, since there seems to be ZERO information on it's existance that I can find beyond the StarLog snippet that you show us. What issue is that, anyhow?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scanned the layout drawings of the Phase II ship from the Star Trek Phase II book.

Here is is...
Phase II Enterprise elevations

Possibly a more accurate basis for drawings of the ship than some others.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
Jim,

Do you mind if I use your link over at TrekBBS to pose a request for additional information on this movie? I have a theory that it was either never completed or that ParaBorg swept down before the movie could ever see the inside of a Trek Con, since there seems to be ZERO information on it's existance that I can find beyond the StarLog snippet that you show us. What issue is that, anyhow?

Go for it Jeff - my link is your link [Smile] I'd love to learn more about this flick too. The Starlog issue is #119.
I'd tried the IMDB search too. Even looked up all the email addies for "Stan Woo" and tried asking them. 2 got bounced back, and I never got a reply from any of the others [Frown]

I also emailed Andrew Probert about the design, waaay back in '98.
quote:
In a message dated 8/8/98 4:43:54 AM, you wrote:

>I read an article in a "Starlog" magazine, sometime in the mid 80's, about
>an unofficial 'Star Trek' film (I think it was called 'Yorktown II') that
>you were said to be providing some designs for.

Yep.

>The article included a drawing of a Klingon scout-ship, and credited you
>with designing the "Yorktown", which was described as being a mixture of
>the Original Series and Movie Era type starship.

Yes, well, it would be more of an intermediate design.

>I don't know if the movie was ever completed or screened , but I was wondering
>if you might still have some drawings or photographs of the "Yorktown", and if I
>might be able to obtain a copy of them?

Sorry, I can't lie to you, I do have them somewhere, but we just moved and I'd
rather not dig for them through all the boxes, just now.

>If that isn't possible, could you tell me if the "Yorktown" design is
>anything like the "Enterprise" model that was being built for 'Star Trek -
>Phase II'

No. A friend built that model from parts of plastic hobby kits.

If memory serves I tried emailing him again a few months later (after he'd settled in from moving house) but never got a reply. So I'm reluctant to try again.

Cheers!

Jim.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
I also emailed Andrew Probert about the design, waaay back in '98.

[snip]

If memory serves I tried emailing him again a few months later (after he'd settled in from moving house) but never got a reply. So I'm reluctant to try again.

As a friend of Andy's I can tell you that he gets a lot of requests for stuff like this; and having been to his home (back when he lived in the SF Bay Area), I know that a lot of it IS packed away and not always easy to get to (I was lucky enough to get to go through his sketchbooks for the GCS design so I've seen virutally every drawing of that baby's development...so turn green with envy mere mortals! [Big Grin] ).

That said, I asked him about this film in an email today. I'll let you know if he says anything illuminating.

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Thanks, Jim!

Posted at TrekBBS: Yorktown II: A Time To Heal? Anyone Heard/ This?

Hopefully, someone will have heard of this and can point us in the right direction....

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for looking into this. I remember seeing that article many years ago and wondering whatever happened to this project. Sulu has always been one of my favorites and I was looking forward to seeing this.

My thinking has been that the legal department at Paramount shot it down, threatened lawsuits to the participants, or confiscated all work and materials.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Sure thing. I'm intensely curious to know about this, as well. After some thought, I do recall reading that Starlog article, tho don't have it in my limited collection of backissues.

Still no information in the thread over at TrekBBS. You'd think that out of the thousand or so posts a day that place gets that someone out of the several thousand members would know something about this fan-produced movie!

Parabastards and TIIC almost had to have gotten this flick canned, IMO....

(TIIC = The Idiots In Charge)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

re Yorktown II:

ME: Did you actually work on this, or did they just take some of your work to use?

ANDY PROBERT: Yeah, many years ago, I agreed to help this guy out. It was kinda fun and it gave me a chance to come up with some alternate Trek designs. I never saw the final result.

So, he doesn't know if it was finished or not, either.

Speaking of Fan Flix, I see the Starship Exeter guys are going to make more episodes...I wonder how long it'll be before they get a C&D from Paramount?

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps