Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Nacelle help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nacelle help
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking a crack at designing ships in illustrator.

I know something is missing, but I cant put my finger on it.

Any help would be good.

-

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dual flush vents aft of the pennant, the starboard thruster, and the other vents aft of the ramscoop. The "coils" connecting the main body and the ramscoop cap should not be blue, but copper instead.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the pattern blending in with the light side of the nacelle makes it look a bit strange.

On another note, the pennant is the wrong shape and color. But that's probably intended [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
∙ (Dat) Dual flush vents aft of the pennant.
I thought those were after transport emmiters? Thats what my non-canon Ent-D cuttaway says they are. Anyway, I added them.

∙ (Dat) The starboard thruster.
Added these. They are supposed to be copper but will be a darkish grey on my nacelle.

∙ (Dat) The other vents aft of the ramscoop.
Added these. This is what I saw as "missing" thanks! (this is what happens when you do work at 2am and have worked 9 hours that day.

∙ (Dat) The "coils" connecting the main body and the ramscoop cap should not be blue, but copper instead.
Changed these to a dark dark grey with a small hint of blue. Looks more "modern". I want to stay away from earthy-tones. I think earth tones really sunk the whole feel of the Ent-D, ESPECIALLY the bridge's colors.

∙ (Harry) And the pattern blending in with the light side of the nacelle makes it look a bit strange.
I'll play around with this a bit more. I think its too contrasting. Actually, you are probably picking up the fact that I made the pattern LIGHTER then the rest of the nacelle, which is another change I made.

∙ (Harry) On another note, the pennant is the wrong shape and color. But that's probably intended
Wasnt intended, I actually ment to change that before I posted that draft. I changed them and thickened up the lines. Looks pretty cool now.

I'll post my latest version as well as some of my peliminary hull designs later today. Thanks for the input guys!

Any suggestions would be great.

Im still debating over an oval or perfectly round saucer section, and what nacelle placement would be like.... Im even considering placing the nacelles sideways or at an odd angle.

Wes
Member # 212

So far...

Moving onto the rest of the ship soon.

-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better, but there shpuld be two flush vents aft of the pennant instead of one and the bussard collector on the front is a bit large.
Look here for refrence. [Wink]
http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/bprintlinks/fed/entd/entd.html

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else you might try it to use a gradient fill on the white plating. Now it appears to be all the same shade of light grey which doesn't change, although the background shade does.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wes
Member # 212

belive it or not that is a gradient.

The single vent was intentional.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
belive it or not that is a gradient.

I don't believe it!
What might help is using some sort of contoured gradient fill, which follows the edges of the shape, rather than a one-dimensional (top to bottom) gradient fill. A contoured fill might better give the impression that the rear of the nacelle curves. Of course, a lof of programs can't do this.

Even if you don't have a contoured fill, you can used the gradient fill to suggest that the nacelle curves sharply at the sides and is flatter on the top. It looks like you have set starting and ending colors but nothing in between?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it looks great!

I think the gradient that is there gives the effect of it bending - but I know what you are getting at - that there should be a 'central' gradient on top that breaks the top-to-bottom gradient, to give the illusion that the top is still relatively flat... but just making them drop off (the gradients that is) more quickly at the top and bottom would work wouldn't it?

I think maybe a quick fix to that situation would be to make the top gradient 'darker' cause the bottom is pretty light already.

BUT that doesn't really worry me - I think it looks snazzy! [Smile]

I love your subtle hues in the bussard collector.

I've always wondered what the transparent material is that makes up the bussard collector... or is it just an opaque alloy/metal that starts to glow with when it is 'charged up'?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

The way a 1-D gradient works in Freehand (and I'm sure Illustrator is similar) is that you can specify the starting and beginning colors and can also drop in other colors any where along the way. Having the top being mostly one shade is simple to do.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar to the gradient in Photoshop? You can click to add new little squares?

So are you saying to go:

[] [] [] []
dark mid mid light?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I don't know anything about Photoshop, but that's the basic idea.

--------------------

Wes
Member # 212

Wow. I implemented a lot of stuff before I even read the thread.

Yes, it is somewhat similar to photoshop (the gradient pallete in ai)

-

Wes
Member # 212

Current work on the saucer.

-

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps