Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Design a Tholian! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Design a Tholian!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm unable to work on my usual projects (long story, don't ask) I decided to burn some time by starting a fun, speculative thread about what a Tholian might look like.
There has been a thread or two in the tech forum discussing just that, but now I'm challenging people to put their ideas to paper and/or pixels.
Anyone is welcome to join in with sketches, 3d renders, smeared doodles scanned from the back of a beer mat, anything! Quality is not an issue, the more ideas the merrier.

So to kick things off, here is the result of fiddling about for 15 min on PSP 7.
 -

I should probably add that the only requirement for a design should be that it reasonably match the appearance of the only Tholian ever glimpsed at on screen.

Ok kids, get cracking!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird crystaline arachnidoids would be my entry, if I could draw. Lots of grasping appendages.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woody Woodpecker: The Next Generation.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on. Can't anyone come up with anything better than my crap sketch?
I know I'm not the only artist here!
Perhaps I should have posted in the competitions forum. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if anyone cares, one of the new Lost Era novels deals with the Tholians and in it they're described as giant crystalline scorpions.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... can someone post some screen grabs from "The Tholian Web" - I always miss that episode - or only catch the end of it.

I LOVED the eerie sound of the Tholians on Enterprise - rather... chilling.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, the Tholians are so cool because we know next to nothing about them.
Kinda like how Boba Fett used to cool be before we found out he's just a lousy clone of his headless merc "father".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had the inclination to take the time to draw something, it would look like a humanoid in faceted full-body armor and helmet.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatched "Future Tense"... You'd almost say the Tholians speak the same language as the Aqua-Xindi... [Roll Eyes]

And on an aside, it's a bit strange that all the mystery and urgency of the Temporal Cold war displayed in these episodes seems to have utterly dissapeared from the minds of our heroes...

So yeah... Tholians.
 -

The Tholian ambassador, TOS style. It's a redress of the Viian costume 8)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, if anyone cares, one of the new Lost Era novels deals with the Tholians and in it they're described as giant crystalline scorpions.
And the new Peter David novel "Gods Above" speculates that they look like bunny rabbits in pink tutus.

It also features Santa Claus in a central role. I *warmly* recommend it.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And the new Peter David novel "Gods Above" speculates that they look like bunny rabbits in pink tutus.

Really? I really need to read that book, and soon!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
quote:

Timo Saloniemi

Further proof taht New Frontier has become the very abyss of Trek.
Worse than Shatner's crap even. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Harry, your drawing is agood start...although it kinda looks like the main Cylon from Battlestar Galactica.

Tholians would definitely nedd either some kind of limbs or really fuctional telekinesis to have a spacefaring society or to have evolved naturally.

Mabye Tholians are themsves a powersource (or focusing source for a power system) for a exo-skeleton with manipulator arms....
It would give them lots of adaptability by switching "bodies" to fit a specific task.
Kinda War of the Worlds, I know, but it could be cool.
They'd still need some TK though.
That way we could use Revrend's really cool rendering. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev, you've just given me the idea I need for the pumpkin, thanks....

Harry, you've just given me the idea on my son's holloween custome, Darth Tholian Vampire....

Thank you both....

Now, if I had even a bit of drawing talent I may contribute, but since I don't I won't....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Timo Saloniemi

Finnish humor or does it really?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps