Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Design a Tholian! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Design a Tholian!
Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Who needs legs?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato Frito!

Sooooo cool but making Tholians crystaline in nature means that Starfleet had no direct contact with Tholians prior to the TNG episode with the scilicate lifeforms on the desert planet.

...on the other tenticle, we also saw the Voyager crew shocked and gawking at an artifical singularity power source when the Romulans had been using them for years.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

From StarTrek.com

Tholians
Episode: Life Support

Origin: Tholian space. A highly advanced sentient � apparently crystalline species, non-humanoid in appearance and extremely territorial in disposition. They hail from a hot planet by Human standards, probably not Class-M. Together, two Tholian ships can literally spin a web of energy in space in order to trap an enemy vessel, after which the web is then drawn together, constricting and finally destroying the vessel inside. On stardate 5693.2, the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 made first contact with this species.
Tholians are a hive-mind and known for their punctuality. One of the independent border races that could have been dragged into a Klingon civil war, due to their proximity.

During a period of renewed conflict with the United Federation of Planets (UFP) in 2253, they attacked a starbase and killed the entire complement � except civilian advisor Kyle Riker, who refused to give up survival. In a battle simulation during his Academy days, Riker figured out the sensory blind spot of a Tholian ship and hid there.

Tensions have eased enough for the Tholians to send an ambassador to space station Deep Space Nine.

End Quote

I always thought Tholians were crystaline. I also gave them one glowing eye as opposed to two humanoid eyes. When I read this topic I got my 3D program rendering.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, there is NO direct evidence for hive-minds, first contact and being crystalline. I don't know who writes those STARTREK.COM articles, but they can ocassionaly be plain wrong.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Well then what is a tholian?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't know. I was just saying that STARTREK.COM != The Truth.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Yeah they kinda change their minds a lot!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Tholian Web" was most definitely NOT the first contact with the Tholians, and this was never the intention. The crew was familar with the species' habits and boundaries in the episode, and what's more, there's also ENT "Future Tense" to consider on top of that.

Just in case anyone is interested, I posted a review of the different Tholian concepts presented in historical Trek literature some time ago.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only version worse than the "Tholian Draydel" is the idiotic "humanoid with giant heads" version from the DC comic.

Both versions on this thread are far superior in both idea and execution.

Tholians need limbs to have evolved into a ship-building, spacefaring civilization but should'nt be humanoid either.

The things from the comic look like they're patterned after Dark Helmet.
"I bet she gives great Tholian!"

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Holy shiy, MoM!
There's some funny stuff in that old thread you've dug up!

Revrend actually speculated on "planet sized fart pockets".

I called Psyliam "Crystal boy"...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Maybe there are ways around limbs......like magnetism or telekinesis
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing like a spot of thread necromancy to brighten one's day.

Tholian Ranks

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps