Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Good god this is crazy: "New" TOS episodes. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Good god this is crazy: "New" TOS episodes.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L I N K[/size]

Bueatiful CGI effects (note the "NX" nacelles on the freighter by Frans Joseph's Spacedock)
Then the horror begins.....

Here's the trailer link:
L I N K

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CGI of the Enterprise warping past that station is pretty darn cool. Well, all the CGI is.

Recreating TOS? Uh ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that. Found that about a week ago, thought about posting a link but had a feeling someone had already done so. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that trailer last a few days ago. Its just fanfilm. They deserve an 'E' for effort. Don't expect "Gone With The Wind" from kids having fun. If you like Batman heres a link to a really well made short. Now these boys have got their act together. http://www.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/batman_deadend/
IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An E for effort? What, you been playing with your Speak-and-Spell again? Giving them an E for effort rates them at about "they hardly fucking bothered at all" when they've obviously put a lot of work into their creation, however misguided. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The effects are very nice (except where the E does a banking turn... hello - why would it need to bank - no gravity. Looks awkward.

That cast was just... NO.

And that 'freighter' with the NX nacelles was the Conestoga!! Why would they put a 200 year old ship there? I suppose there was also a DY class ship... 300 yo?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might've taken a look, but seeing as how they're publishing in Windows Media format for some insane reason, I'm not going to bother downloading extra software just to watch it.

Based on the photos, the space-based CGI looks very good, but so what? After all the effort fans have put into CGI these past few years, that's nothing extraordinary. The sets look interesting... they may be the most impressive part, IMO. But the actors? Forget it. The poorly tailored uniforms and bad haircuts reveal it as just another fan film with a somewhat higher production budget.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

The set looked very good. A lot of work went into all this. I doubt even William Shatner ever had such a bad hair day though. The Crew will have a hard time of it. They simply do not look the part. The old Khan type Freighter, DY I guess,was still used as an automated ore hauler in TOS times. Space Ships are built to last in TOS. TOS Klingon Cruisers showed up in DS9.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the uniforms look surprisingly good for a fan production.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right..

The CGI is okay, except for the choice of ships (what's a 21st century one-of-a-kind colony ship doing there? And a DY-100?). Enterprise warping away from the station was a really nice, though.

But since when was Kirk played by The Fonz and Spock by a young Boy George?

I bet it has the same problem as all fan-productions.. crap cast and crap stories. They can reproduce all the sets perfectly well, but it all comes down on convincing actors. And Trekkies are usually not great actors.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When your talented fans that can't afford real look-alike actors, you take what you can get (wasn't Checkov more russian?) I think it would have helped A LOT to have the cameos with voice overs. I'll wait until I get the writing and acting. Don't be to harsh on the old ships being used, who said that the space-frames couldn't last a century? B52s are supposed to.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

http://www.neutralzone.de/database/indexfra.htm This link tells a little more about the DY-100 series. The DY-100 was also used as the robot ore freighter 'Wodan' in the M-5 episode "The Ultimate Computer". There is Also A DY-750 series sleeper ship,that looks like a more advanced colony ship based on the DY 100 design.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until you detractors can afford to do up the series yourself, I'd suggest you be a bit more charitable. It's not like they're laying claim to a realistic recreation of the show, after all. They quite clearly state up front that it's a fan produced production w/an almost non-existant budget....
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Personally I'm not detracting from the work these guys have done here on this film. One thing to remember about fan films though is that they must not step over the line when it comes to copyright material. The best way to avoid this is to do a parody. If they try to do a real series of films they are cruising for a bruising from the people that hold the rights to Star Trek.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess they didn't have any Japanese friends, since Sulu turned into a French guy.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps